Rare gramophones-radiograms-records

78 RPM Discs collected in OCT,NOV 2017.
Recently, I was lucky to find two very early[1953 and 1955] white label discs, one Malayalam and another one Tamil.
White label Disc 1:
Movie: Velakkaran[Malayalam],Year: 1953
Alayukayaam Njangal Naadathil -Singers: P Leela ,Kaviyoor Revamma
Music: V Dakshinamoorthy,Lyrics: Abhayadev,Singers: P. Leela
Seems like the disc was never released for the common market.
This was the last movie of Late Shri.Augustine Joseph(father of Shri K.J. Yesudas)
3vuIZxF.jpg

White label Disc 2:
Movie:Ethirparathathu[Tamil],Year: 1955
Madhurapuri aalum - p leela
Music: ?C. N. Pandurangan
3hzGvvK.jpg

Malayalam drama: K.P.A.C's Aswamedham [1962]
Side 1: Thalaikku Meede - K.S.George & Sulochana
Side 2: Pambukalkku Maalamundu - K.S. George
Lyrics : vayalar Music : Raghunath and M.B. Srinivasan
3QrHSNx.jpg

vLDm6na.jpg

Film : kadheeja (Malayalam)
Side 1 Surumai Yezhuthiya ... K.J.Jesudos
Side 2 Kasavintethattamittu - B.Vasantha
Lyrics :Yusuf Ali Kacheri, Music: M.S. Baburaj
EyeqMqH.jpg

Malayalm drama : Bharamulla Kurisukal [1965]
Side 1: Arigathu Va - P.Leela and C.O. Anto
Side 2: Thumba Malare - P. Leela
Lyrics : Nelson
Music : Job & George
2IeZZUC.jpg

Film: Ammaye Kaanan [1963]
Side 1: Gokkale Meichukondum - P.Leela
Side 2: Unarunaroo - S. Janaki
Lyrics: P. Bhaskaran
Music : Raghavan
2sdV1xA.jpg

Film: Manavatti [1964]
Side 1: Astamudi - K.J. Jesudos and P.Leela
Side 2: Parakkum Thalikayil - P. Susheela
Lyrics : vayalar, Music G Devarajan
tHsPaZD.jpg

Film : Pooja [1967]
Side 1: Maavin Thayyin [P.Susheela]
Side 2: Manasa Sarasa [ S. Janaki]
Lyrics : P.Bhaskaran, Music G Devarajan
cedWTeC.jpg

Film : Rest House[1969]
Side 1: Vasanthame S. Janaki
Side 2: Manakkedayallo - C.O. Anto
Lyrics: Srikumaran Thambi, Music M.K. Arjunan
VVEULfC.jpg

Film: Mudhalali [1964]
Side 1: Eethu Poo Choodanam - S.Janaki
Side 2: Kawiyanna Vannilla - S. janaki
Lyrics : P. Bhaskaran, Music : Pukazhenthi
D2KUN5M.jpg

Film : KavyaMela [1963]
Side 1: Swappangal Swapnangale [K.J.Jesudos and P.Leela]
Side 2: Easwaranee Thedi
Lyrics: Vayalar, Music: P. Dhakshinamoorthy
2lgULHy.jpg

Film: Kuttikuppayam [1964]
Side 1: Pon Vala illeyekillum =Udhayabhanu
Side 2: Virunnu Varam - P.Leela + Udhayan
Lyrics: P. Bhaskaran Music : M.S. baburaj
iDbVSQG.jpg

Film: Chathurangam [1959]
Side 1: Penninte Chiriyum - Pattom Sadan, TS Kumaresh
Side 2: Vaasantharavinte - KS George, Santha P Nair
Lyrics: Vayalar music: G Devarajan
MG64uPR.jpg

Collected in November: 5 numbers of 16 inch electrical transcription records.
Hmmm,Asked a friend to modify a old TT player to play these giant records....

A transcription disc is a special phonograph record intended for, or recorded from, a radio broadcast. Sometimes called a broadcast transcription or radio transcription or nicknamed a platter, it is also sometimes just referred to as an electrical transcription, usually abbreviated to E.T. among radio professionals.

Transcription discs are most commonly 16 inches (40 cm) in diameter and recorded at 33 1/3 rpm. That format was standard from approximately 1930 to 1960.

Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll are credited with being the first to produce electrical transcriptions.

15 minutes of material could be stored on one side of a typical 16-inch diameter transcription.

The Voice of America -Electrical transcription disk
yCvs2lA.jpg

3E4TWDz.jpg

UGf9ZC7.jpg

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
k82QDq5.jpg

aKWugsM.jpg

comparing 12" LP with 16" TD
mULnamm.jpg

mhWYm1A.jpg

Nice acquisition Anil, well done.

Collected in November: 5 numbers of 16 inch electrical transcription records.
Hmmm,Asked a friend to modify a old TT player to play these giant records....

A transcription disc is a special phonograph record intended for, or recorded from, a radio broadcast. Sometimes called a broadcast transcription or radio transcription or nicknamed a platter, it is also sometimes just referred to as an electrical transcription, usually abbreviated to E.T. among radio professionals.

Transcription discs are most commonly 16 inches (40 cm) in diameter and recorded at 33 1/3 rpm. That format was standard from approximately 1930 to 1960.

Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll are credited with being the first to produce electrical transcriptions.

15 minutes of material could be stored on one side of a typical 16-inch diameter transcription.

The Voice of America -Electrical transcription disk
yCvs2lA.jpg

3E4TWDz.jpg

UGf9ZC7.jpg

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
k82QDq5.jpg

aKWugsM.jpg

comparing 12" LP with 16" TD
mULnamm.jpg

mhWYm1A.jpg

Further to the Transcription records, collected the following too in Nov.

Collector Malathy- Malayalam Film 78 RPM
1QWGrxR.jpg

FDXA4Ml.jpg

Olivia Newton John-Hits
yE6r3yd.jpg

q7LxFxw.jpg

Peter Tchaikovsky- Symp-4
sAe5WB9.jpg

PolyStar-High Life
RmnEFiK.jpg

Sheena Easton
BWacZMm.jpg

Collected in Feb 2018, some rare gems...

ART OF PRIMA DONNA - JOAN SUTHERLAND VOL 1 AND 2 ( ORIGINAL FIRST PRESS, MONO DECCA LXT 5617)
In 1960, JOAN SUTHERLAND recorded the album The Art of the Prima Donna, which remains today one of the
most recommended opera albums ever recorded: the double LP set won the Grammy Award for Best Classical
Performance – Vocal Soloist in 1962. The album, a collection consisting mainly of coloratura arias,
displays her seemingly effortless coloratura ability, high notes and opulent tones, as well as her
exemplary trill. The album was added to the National Film and Sound Archive's Sounds of Australia
registry in 2011
Q90KZZl.jpg

dhg8zB8.jpg

PETER GRIMES Benjamin Britten DECCA 3LPset + book DECCA, GREAT BRITAIN,1959
aGfjo0U.jpg

7cgvn8s.jpg

P3Lpj0M.jpg

PmX8neV.jpg

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Sea Symphony, the Wasps BOULT LPO - EMI/HMV GREAT BRITAIN ASD 2439/40, BOX SET, 1968
Conductor – Sir Adrian Boult
Orchestra – The London Philharmonic Orchestra

PiwXSkk.jpg

kPmhtgd.jpg

A GARLAND FOR THE QUEEN ( A RARE RECORD , NOT RELEASED FOR COMMON AUDIENCE)
Label/Info: Columbia 33CX 1063. Made in Great Britain 1960's.
Songs For Mixed Voices for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. - British Council.

[Only two commercial records of Finzi's music were made during his life—one of Dies natalis, under the
auspices of the British Council, the other, in the coronation set ‘A Garland for the Queen’, of his
partsong White-flowering days. Though he conducted his own musicin concerts and broadcasts, he was not
invited to record it—understandably, because of the 1939-45 War, and then his early death.]
7JJCbhr.jpg

9ojeB8L.jpg

Every Face Tells a Story-Album by Cliff Richard-1977 ( not a rare one)
0de1NwG.jpg

BRAHMS + BRONISLAW GIMPEL + ORCHESTRE D'ETAT DE STUTTGART + WALTHER DAVISSON + PANTHEON 10" RECORDS
J5UBg09.jpg

Ruben,
:) and :( . I never get the time to listen all records in full, but certainly try to listen them in parts as soon I bring them home.
Just collecting now as much as I can( because if I leave them now,very difficult to get em back)
Once I have some money in surplus(if God is kind enough) , would like to setup a library for enthusiasts and students doing some research in music.

Ruben,
:) and :( . I never get the time to listen all records in full, but certainly try to listen them in parts as soon I bring them home.
Just collecting now as much as I can( because if I leave them now,very difficult to get em back)
Once I have some money in surplus(if God is kind enough) , would like to setup a library for enthusiasts and students doing some research in music.
I would be more than happy to get the librarian’s post

A library is a good idea. You can have daily listening sessions also :)

Here is one of the rarest records in my collection. A 12" single.

Osibisa - Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram (OSI-001, EMI, 1981 Indian pressing)
osibisa_1.jpg

osibisa_2.jpg

Ruben,

Fantastic. Where does your collection stand at this point, in terms of numbers?

I admire you for one thing, you don't go with titles or performers but collect music. All kinds, and also speech. Great approach.

Fantastic. Where does your collection stand at this point, in terms of numbers?

I admire you for one thing, you don't go with titles or performers but collect music. All kinds, and also speech. Great approach.

Need to count.. and will reply here after some time.....Need to sort, clean and catalog... too much work...

Thanks.Yes Ruben, I do collect all sorts of music/spoken words/drama etc. More interested, if it is too much aged and rare in some sense...

So far, just collecting and dumping in my Chennai apartment(where I kept a small portion of the floor, for me to sleep and otherwise surrounded by records ,record/tape playing equipments, speakers etc. Sleeping among these are my Nirvana days:) , Jokingly I used to think as whether "I was a SHELLAC RESIN or a VINYL COMPOUND during my last birth, to have such a affection with these plates"... )

Collected a few so far, but still a thin melancholy strain seldom pains the heart is, so far I would have left thousands of rare records not collected even after embracing them with my fingers,...because of budget and other inner alarming alerts...

You eat only if your name is written on the grain- the great prophet once said.

A library is a good idea. You can have daily listening sessions also :)

Here is one of the rarest records in my collection. A 12" single.

Osibisa - Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram (OSI-001, EMI, 1981 Indian pressing)
View attachment 25663
View attachment 25661
I first held this record in my hand in 1981. HMV released it immediately after OSIBISA's Chennai Concert.(they Sung it first in Chennai).
The record was also much popular as 12" 45 RPM Standard Play were treated as premium sounding ones... My dad recorded it to the spool tape and we had very often listening sessions ....thanks for bringing back the sweet memories.

Need to count.. and will reply here after some time.....Need to sort, clean and catalog... too much work...

As soon as I get hold of a new LP/CD, I catalog it on Discogs. It's quite convenient I must say.

So far, just collecting and dumping in my Chennai apartment(where I kept a small portion of the floor, for me to sleep and otherwise surrounded by records ,record/tape playing equipments, speakers etc. Sleeping among these are my Nirvana days:) , Jokingly I used to think as whether "I was a SHELLAC RESIN or a VINYL COMPOUND during my last birth, to have such a affection with these plates"... )

Even I live in Chennai.

An off topic question: Have you considered insuring your collection? Is it possible?

p.s. Hope your records were fine during the flood.

As soon as I get hold of a new LP/CD, I catalog it on Discogs. It's quite convenient I must say.

Even I live in Chennai.

An off topic question: Have you considered insuring your collection? Is it possible?

p.s. Hope your records were fine during the flood.
PS,
Never thought of insuring. Hmmm... that's an idea. thanks.
My apartment is on a higher floor and did not get affected luckily during flood.

Great collection Anil. Record library is a good idea. I am also planning to convert a part of my book store to vinyl related items.
Cleaning, changing inners and outers and cataloguing is a painstaking work. I am doing this from the past 6 months. But I have still completed only one forth of my collection.
Now my lp collection is crossing over 5k and EPs over 2k.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back