RE: Non-spender club! Dare to join?

svenkateshsmart

Hi All,

I have just realized yesterday that I have spent almost close to a 40% of my per-annum pay over the span of six months, since September 2009. Of course, after joining the forum:eek:hyeah: Though I have immense pleasure with the gadgets around me and has been having a nice time, certain instances at my work and outside made me realize I should have spent little less and saved a minimum for the future. Apparently, we always get the better version the next day.

My new additions over the period of 7 months are as follows:
1. Denon 1910
2. Torvin Towers and Center
3. HTPC - upgraded board, ram, etc.
4. Pana BD60 & mod chip
5. Voltage Convertor
6. Furnitures for HT room.
7. At least 5 pairs of HDMI cables, component, and bandridge spkr cables, etc..
8. Xtreamer

.....and the the list goes on.....and i am eyeing on a good PJ, woofer and bookshelves for surrounds and I know they would get me into bankruptcy if I buy them now!

So, I am planning to take a resolution here that I will not spend anything greater than 1K (keeping in mind what if my cables worn out and I need only badly) for the next 6 months.

There is saying "Luck beholds a man who knows where to stop". I am not going to stop, as I can't, but I am going to halt for a while!

Anyone interested can join the Nonspender club!

Cheers!

Re: Non-spender club! Dare to join?

Sorry ! I could not take the FREE offer for joining in "Non Spender club".:sad:

Sorry ! I could not take the FREE offer for joining in "Non Spender club".:sad:

Venkatesh, I have been doing what you are planning to do because I had the same realisation that you had- That I have been spending way beyond my means! But I started before I joined the forum. But the forum provides me new avenues to spend and thus break my Tapasya:D
I am prolly gonna take the plunge and get a stereo amp, so will be a member only till next month.
Things pending:
Good cables and spkr wires
Sub woofer
Two channel set up
Thats all:p

hi svenkateshsmart,

surely count me in -

and does that non-spending involve everything?

regds

hi svenkateshsmart,

surely count me in -

and does that non-spending involve everything?

regds

Hi,

No, as of now, this certainly involves, at least for me, for now, only spending on hifi gadgets!

Also, I request the members who join here to inform their desired period of nonspending!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: I know I am getting crazier!:lol:

Hi,

No, as of now, this certainly involves, at least for me, for now, only spending on hifi gadgets!

Also, I request the members who join here to inform their desired period of nonspending!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: I know I am getting crazier!:lol:

my desired period - 7 years:cool:

Hi Venkatesh,

Its great you have had this realisation at this young age.:) You may turn out to be lucky as i am to get a non demanding spouse.But you may not be too:D. So do save for a rainy day.It may be prudent to have two sets of savings.One you won't touch and another for satisfying our crazy cravings for these damn gadgets.
I know its easier said than done. sigh..........

All the best!

cheers,
sri

I wish I could join the club, I know I won't last long there. Yes, am afraid of failure. Like iaudio, even I am spending beyond my means, mostly balancing it out with the help of creditcards (since last 8 months). I do hope to reduce my spend, but never stop.

Suri: curious to know why the 7 years?

Can we also add to this thread, the AV stuff that you wanted to buy but resisted because of your membership to this club?

Last edited:

3 months - and I am in da club, but with at least 12 months freeze on spending...... unless of course something goes wrong and I need to replace it :p

My freeze on portable audio spending is in force already. But, my HT and Music setup are just beginning and hence the 3 months delay.

Suri, I dont buy it!
You are sure to spend big time on your speaker projects!
Once the Witches of Ectasy are completed I am sure you are going to embark on some quality diy cables. And then soon the next out of the box speaker project!

I have found a good way for doing it. I put most of my earning into long term investment where i cannot touch it. I leave bare minimum for regular expenses.
But i do save Rs 2000 for music every month even though i may not spend it each time.

Hi All,

I have just realized yesterday that I have spent almost close to a 40% of my per-annum pay over the span of six months, since September 2009. Of course, after joining the forum:eek:hyeah: Though I have immense pleasure with the gadgets around me and has been having a nice time, certain instances at my work and outside made me realize I should have spent little less and saved a minimum for the future. Apparently, we always get the better version the next day.
So, I am planning to take a resolution here that I will not spend anything greater than 1K (keeping in mind what if my cables worn out and I need only badly) for the next 6 months.

There is saying "Luck beholds a man who knows where to stop". I am not going to stop, as I can't, but I am going to halt for a while!

Anyone interested can join the Nonspender club!

Cheers!

I'm in till I get my bonus.

My payroll section messed up on tax calculations and it looks like feb + mar is goiing to be on bread+ water!

the added benefitof waiting is this...

if you buy that shiny new home theatre thingy right now.. you'll find you covet something newer, 5 months down the line.. (eg - I bought the HD803 proggy.. and now there are so many new, better projectors in the same price range)

so if you wait 5 months you can that "newer" thingy instead of just coveting it. the only flaw with this logic is that it's recursive..

cheers

I'm in till I get my bonus.

My payroll section messed up on tax calculations and it looks like feb + mar is goiing to be on bread+ water!

the added benefitof waiting is this...

if you buy that shiny new home theatre thingy right now.. you'll find you covet something newer, 5 months down the line.. (eg - I bought the HD803 proggy.. and now there are so many new, better projectors in the same price range)

so if you wait 5 months you can that "newer" thingy instead of just coveting it. the only flaw with this logic is that it's recursive..

cheers

never was/still not interested in home theatre - but what you say rings true -i have been waiting to buy a TV for the last four years - always waiting for the next best TV - and now am waiting for large panel oleds - so another 3 years at least!:)

ah well ! been thru a 1 yr acquisition project involving everything in my signature except the panny (which was bought 1.5 yrs back). so i can be a member for about 2-3 months, after which, i will regretfully have to withdraw temporarily to enable me to get a wdtv-2. then i can rejoin for another 2-3 months, by which time, bd prices will probably fall low enough for me to get a bdp.
once i get that far, wont it be time to get a projector ?????? :))))

Hi,

My point here is to spend wisely and not to get lured by the attractions, liked I got lured by the xtreamer one:eek:hyeah:

At least 4% of our per annum salary would not affect us a lot, especially young chaps! I used to run my life from paycheck to paycheck for a period of years, then when I started saving, I started really feeling confident and independent.

If we cannot spend anything, there is no point to be around here! Let us spend, but wisely!

Thank you Srikarkav sir for your advice, hope to get a lot from senior members around here!

Cheers!

Hi,

I used to run my life from paycheck to paycheck for a period of years,
Cheers!

You sound like me before I got married :D (That was 9 years ago).. I lived alone and had 3 tvs.. a 29" for my home theatre.. a 25" for TV in my bedroom and 20" for my servant so he would not fiddle with the other 2.. to fund this I had a a creditcard bill where I'd just be paying a little more than the minimum amount every month.. My wife put an end to "all that nonsense" though!:eek:

never was/still not interested in home theatre - but what you say rings true -i have been waiting to buy a TV for the last four years - always waiting for the next best TV - and now am waiting for large panel oleds - so another 3 years at least!:)

luckily, this isn't so true for HiFi though...:eek:hyeah:

My point here is to spend wisely and not to get lured by the attractions, liked I got lured by the xtreamer one:eek:hyeah:
You can't complain about that deal, can you:D?!! BTW, it is a nice watch and easily worth atleast 3k IMO, I received mine for the 1.5tb internal HDD.

You can't complain about that deal, can you:D?!! BTW, it is a nice watch and easily worth atleast 3k IMO, I received mine for the 1.5tb internal HDD.

Definitely not, it is a great deal! I went with this deal mainly because of that Giordano! You know I am fond of watches as well!

Cheers!

I wish I could join, but my BD spendings are on the raise. As well need to get myself a pair of ear phones ,so I wish you good luck Venkatesh. Once you've got married you wouldn't have all the flexbility lke you've now, unless you're very lucky :p . Ask Srini about the secret and also during his period block his calls:D

I will join the club next week, hopefully my Klipsch S4i should be with me.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back