realtek onboard vs sound card

grim.reaper

How good is the quality of sound provided by realtek On board sound chip (RTL8101L)?
I am planning to buy Logitech Z-2300 (2.1 speakers)..
Do i need a sound card too or is on-board sound support good? If yes then which one?
Im getting speakers these for 7.5k. Dont mind investing another 2k for a much better sound experience if reqd.

These days the onboard Realtek does deliver pretty decent sound. You will not notice much improvement in SQ unless its a high-end sound card you are going in for. The Asus Xonar range delivers great SQ but it costs around 9-10K when I last checked, though might have come down but not sure of it.

Well dedicated system alway do better than clouded.
Like graphiccard is always preferable to onboard graphics.(performancewise)

Onboard sound cards are above average & seperate has good component,dedicated drivers,processing chip.

Personally I will compare realtek(my PC has) to Onkyo HTib decoder.
When I use DVDp & AVR combo,sound outcomes bold,heavy.
But when I connect 5.1 out from PC to Onkyo ext-analoge in ,sound seems open,more wide & stereo imaging.
I am surpriced with this.

I totally agree with you cranky/spirovious. Even I use a Creative rather than the onboard Realtek which does not work very well with the required drivers on my Vista I might add. My point is there is not going to be much difference with a 2K card either which is the intended budget or so I thought from the OP.

thanx for the valuable info provided in the reply..
I guess I'll try out the speakers 1st without the card, and if the need arises, will think abt it...
I had a terrible experience with FX-5051 (altec 5.1 speakers) as the speakers started giving cracking sound after 2 months of purchase
The service centre, couldnt repair it/replace it, gave me the money back as it was under warranty
It lacked the punch(bass-wise) n hence after going thru lots of forums, i found logitech Z-5500 n Z-2300 to be good..
I hope Z-2300 is a good choice, as many ppl have recommended the same

probably THX certification is something which is a mst.. FX-5051 didn't have a thx but Z-2300 has it...
even mx-5051 has it but somehow i wont trust altec

can anyone suggest a good USB sound card (I need to connect it to my old laptop, which may not last very long) that can do 24/96 ? Please provide ballpark cost too. Budget ~5k
I am thinking of creative x-fi.
regards

These days the onboard Realtek does deliver pretty decent sound. You will not notice much improvement in SQ unless its a high-end sound card you are going in for. The Asus Xonar range delivers great SQ but it costs around 9-10K when I last checked, though might have come down but not sure of it.

I think DX is for 4.5k?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back