reasons for subwoofer damage?

thank you very very much sir ,just one thing did you measure from 14 feet away from floorstanding speakers

I was sitting at a distance of 12 feet. I did take a few measurements at 14 feet, but they were only marginally different.

Cheers

"All measurements were take using a Radio Shack analog SPL meter with weighting set to 'A'. The response was set to 'Fast'."

Venkat,
Normally don't we use the C weight, with a slow response to average out the transients while measuring SPLs? Just curious why you used the A setting, that's all.

-Ajinkya.

Normally don't we use the C weight, with a slow response to average out the transients while measuring SPLs? Just curious why you used the A setting, that's all.

Yes, you do use 'C' Weighting and 'Slow' response in ideal circumstances. Unfortunately I do not have ideal circumstances at home.

One; A-weighting is the most commonly used for curves defined in the International standard IEC 61672:2003. Two; C-Weighting does not have sufficient bandpass for accurate measurements. It is more suited to be measured when you are playing pink noises at a particular frequency. Logically I should have switched to C-weigthing for 85dB or more, but I do not have any means of playing pink noises at pre-determined frequencies.

I used 'Fast' as I was looking for SPL at peak sounds over a couple of seconds of music playing. I used Fusion Mosaic Vol 1, that plays fairly continuous music. If I had used 'Slow' I would have had to take eye measurements over a long period of time and work out an average. In 'Fast' I was able to see where the meter hovered whenever the music peaked.

I should get my hands on a CD that has the pink noises.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back