reasons for subwoofer damage?

venkat am sure you will be hitting the vol levels higher than manu and me once u start off with HD audio:yahoo:

the reason being its so damn clear, u want more out of it in a rather bigger way so damn the tinnitus

as u changed the AVR , may be the sub is overloaded/or the sub is not able to handle the Lfe signals

keep reducing the levels in the avr until the distortred sound reduces

Last edited:
--i am definetly the manu types

i wud love to play even louder without a hint of distortion
manu bhai has only touched 0 db (he has not mentioned the source here DVD/BRD), transformers 2 is a loud movie , i have hit +4 DB vol level on the same movie but on dvd with 875 onk and with external power amps

--manu try out blurays ,trust me with HD audio u will end up hitting the vol levels even higher but then with Blu rays u have issues

bro i download hdrips and brrips and save them on ps3 hdd u r right when playing hd contents i like higher volume it sounds soooo clear even on higher volume the higher i touched is -2db and that's quite high for me :D

as u changed the AVR , may be the sub is overloaded/or the sub is not able to handle the Lfe signals

keep reducing the levels in the avr until the distortred sound reduces

bro i have changed to onkyo 807 since last one and a half month and only before twodays i have that problem may be guess when playing transformers 2 at super high volume my subwoofer got overloaded by onkyo 807 power am i right or wrong please reply did damage my subwoofer and bro how can we know if our subwoofer can't handle lfe signals did you talk about subwoofer frequency response or avr lfe pre-out connection isn't lfe pre-outs on avr only for just signals and subwoofer has its own amp in it so by playing at higher volumes i guess only subwoofer amp gets heated not avr am i right or wrong

Last edited:
that does sound ridiculously loud if it's that high up on a logarithmic scale.....like venkat said, listening at those levels will damage your equipment and your ears.....so you might considering easing off on that volume knob.

sir i have set subwoofer own volume knob to 9 0' clock and in avr set sub level to +2 ,should i turn down the level of subwoofer in avr

brothers i'm waiting for more response come on bros this is awesome av site with superbly knowledgeable peoples ,i need solution or you can say answers :sad:

i have read somewhere in avs forum site that if you set your subwoofer level to above 0db in avr setting then you can clip the subwoofer's output jack of the avr so is that means my avr subwoofer pre-out damage too

pleeeease pleeease reply brothers i'm scared for my onkyo 807 avr too now

Manu:

You cannot damage a AVR by setting the output level of a channel high. The AVR does not do anything but send data out. There is no feedback for the AVR to get spoiled.

It looks likes either the amplifier or the driver of your sub has got spoiled. Please ask the dealer you bought it from to check the sub. He may need to change a capacitor o something in the amplifier. Let us pray the driver is safe.

Cheers

Subash:

I have listened to a large number of varied system including Parasound, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Arcam, driving speakers from Wharfedale, B&W, PSB, QA, etc. I have also seen Blu-Ray source systems driving FullHD projectors from companies such as Optoma, Runco, and Meridian.

Sometime ago when I was in Delhi, Sound of Music demonstrated the Meridian systems quite extensively to me. They were driving the Meridian through both Meridian speakers and through Avant Garde Horn speakers, and , they were driving them at INSANE levels to demonstrate lack of distortion even at around 110db. Believe me, if you sit through a movie at those levels, you are only hurting yourself. I recently saw a Blu-Ray version of Dark Night and I was very happy at around 70dB. I could hear all the dialogues properly as well as the surrounding noises and music extremely well. That is all I want. I don't know about others, but for me background music is always at around 30 dB, never more. When I sit and listen to music specifically I may up the volume to around 60dB. Many times I have walked out of cinema halls as they were playing at uncomfortable volumes. Only last week, in a music session, I insisted that the volume be reduced as the sound was hurting. The sound engineer would not believe me till I made him come down and sit in my seat. He immediately rushed and cut the volume.

It is not that I don't know what I am missing. Some of the music I use for auditioning I know very intimately as I have heard them innumerable times using headphones.

But those are my tastes. I am sure others would have different tastes. Yet, please remember that the human ear cannot sustain a continuous barrage of sound at more than 75dB. If that is done, you are slowly going deaf.

Cheers

Manu:

You cannot damage a AVR by setting the output level of a channel high. The AVR does not do anything but send data out. There is no feedback for the AVR to get spoiled.

It looks likes either the amplifier or the driver of your sub has got spoiled. Please ask the dealer you bought it from to check the sub. He may need to change a capacitor o something in the amplifier. Let us pray the driver is safe.

Cheers

thanks for ur reply sir i'm waiting for it :) , sir so please tell me one more thing as i'm setting my subwoofer in avr to +2db should turn it down too though my setting on sub's own volume dial is at 9'0 clock and sir is there any specific setting for subwoofer volume knob to where to set if a guy like me doesn't have spl metre something like 9 0' clock or 10 o'clock or 12 o' clock,waiting for your reply sir and thank god my avr is safe :cool:

I have listened to a large number of varied system including Parasound, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Arcam, driving speakers from Wharfedale, B&W, PSB, QA, etc. I have also seen Blu-Ray source systems driving FullHD projectors from companies such as Optoma, Runco, and Meridian.

Sometime ago when I was in Delhi, Sound of Music demonstrated the Meridian systems quite extensively to me. They were driving the Meridian through both Meridian speakers and through Avant Garde Horn speakers, and , they were driving them at INSANE levels to demonstrate lack of distortion even at around 110db. Believe me, if you sit through a movie at those levels, you are only hurting yourself. I recently saw a Blu-Ray version of Dark Night and I was very happy at around 70dB. I could hear all the dialogues properly as well as the surrounding noises and music extremely well. That is all I want. I don't know about others, but for me background music is always at around 30 dB, never more. When I sit and listen to music specifically I may up the volume to around 60dB. Many times I have walked out of cinema halls as they were playing at uncomfortable volumes. Only last week, in a music session, I insisted that the volume be reduced as the sound was hurting. The sound engineer would not believe me till I made him come down and sit in my seat. He immediately rushed and cut the volume.

It is not that I don't know what I am missing. Some of the music I use for auditioning I know very intimately as I have heard them innumerable times using headphones.

But those are my tastes. I am sure others would have different tastes. Yet, please remember that the human ear cannot sustain a continuous barrage of sound at more than 75dB. If that is done, you are slowly going deaf.

Cheers

sir you are absolulety right about insane levels i'm too walk out from theatres when they play it at insanely unsatisfy levels and most of the time i just went to local theatre to see how this or that movie sounds there and most of the time i'm disappoint ,sir your are right about when we playing at normal levels we can hear dialogues easily and very sweetful surrounds when i'm listening movies to around -30 db(avr volume control is from -80 db to +18db) it sounds good but i don't know at what volume level should i listen to as i don't have spl metre for reading 70 to 75db so sir can you do me a favour i sit at 14 feet from my front speakers and 13.5 feet from subwoofer which is too in front can you please sit at 14 feet from ur speakers and measure with spl metre to see at what db level in avr you'll get 70 to 75db so i can start from there as a starting point or we can say as a roughly idea ,can you pleeeeease do that for me pleeease

Last edited:
sir you are absolulety right about insane levels i'm too walk out from theatres when they play it at insanely unsatisfy levels and most of the time i just went to local theatre to see how this or that movie sounds there and most of the time i'm disappoint ,sir your are right about when we playing at normal levels we can hear dialogues easily and very sweetful surrounds when i'm listening movies to around -30 db(avr volume control is from -80 db to +18db) it sounds good but i don't know at what volume level should i listen to as i don't have spl metre for reading 70 to 75db so sir can you do me a favour i sit at 14 feet from my front speakers and 13.5 feet from subwoofer which is too in front can you please sit at 14 feet from ur speakers and measure with spl metre to see at what db level in avr you'll get 70 to 75db so i can start from there as a starting point or we can say as a roughly idea ,can you pleeeeease do that for me pleeease

Hi Manu,

Does the subwoofer give the same trouble when you now play, at reasonable volume? Could you please try with one subwoofer at a time, and see whether this happens? I would also suggest you to try with some other AVR or audio source - just to be sure that its indeed your sub.

regards,

nitin.

Manu:

Cheers

Subash:

Cheers

venkat , the entire movie will not have the same high levels of sound, but when the soundtrack has to make an impact i am of the kind who wud definetly want to be shaken up , its not that the entire movie is @ insane levels , yup definetly play @ insane vol but the insane sound is only @ moments or when the tracks are demanding ---this will definetly not lead to deafness nor coz tinnitus

am not saying i will be playing a drama or a romantic movie @ insane levels
these are fine at -20db , but u cant do this with an action/thriller/horror/sc-fi movies, it needs to shake u up when intended so there is definetly a need for higher levels (wud not call 0 t0 +2/+3db of HD audio insane @ all)

tinnitus /deafness --results from continued exposure to irritable loud sounds ,like machinery , some theatres (as most are pathetic) as rightly said by u, surely coz ear fatigue the reason beign harshness in sound.
so dont exactly relate to deafness with loudness of a clean HT set up

with HD audio u cud definetly take it to higher levels without least bit of ear fatigue the same levels with dvd wud begin to sound a bit harsher

even with music i am on the louder side and have been with high levels of sound for the past 15-20yrs and find my ears are craving for more , and definetly there hasnt been signs of deafness/ tinnitus:yahoo:as of yet ,but have been hearing things razor sharp which many cant hear:yahoo:

manu , i think its something to do with the sub
doubt it cud be related to Lfe out of 807
as suggested connect a different source and try out to confirm

hokay, i don't know jackshit about AVRs, but let me put forward a theory, and I hope the people who know this stuff can respond and correct me.

The LFE out in an AVR is a pre out right? or is it a line level out? the reason i assume it is a pre-out is......when your sub is hooked to the AVR, you would need the volume level of the sub to be more or less in line with the volume level of the other speakers.

So, in the event that the LFE is out is a pre-out, then setting the volume level high on the AVR will also set the volume level high on the sub.....right?

Hi Manu,

Does the subwoofer give the same trouble when you now play, at reasonable volume? Could you please try with one subwoofer at a time, and see whether this happens? I would also suggest you to try with some other AVR or audio source - just to be sure that its indeed your sub.

regards,

nitin.

bro now i only have one pol psw 125 ,i have sold first one ,yup when playing at reasonable volumes my subwoofer still produce farting sound on a bass heavy scenes ,i don;t have any other avr mm but i will try to connect it to another lfe-out of onky 807 and see what happens then

Last edited:
manu , i think its something to do with the sub
doubt it cud be related to Lfe out of 807
as suggested connect a different source and try out to confirm

brother i dont' have any other avr ,but when i have two polks psw 125 before 807 i connect them to onkhyo htib avr and at that time one of my sub has same problem but when i connect another subwoofer that sub sounds great but the one that damage doesn't work ,so i guess i have damage my subwoofer by playing at higher volumes ,i can still hear farting sound when a bass heavy track is playing even at low listening levels

one thing i remember is when i have my first sony htib i use to play it at insane levels(total volume 0 to 32 and i'm playing at max 32) after only two months my sub suddenly sound flat not able to produce the same bass as it use to so i connect sony service station and the person who came to my house said the cone has been damage and it needs to be replaced and when it came back from service the bass return and after that he sugest me never play ur system to max ,so i guees its concern with me playing polk psw 125 super high, same thing happens when i have onkyo 5100 htib i too play it at insane levels but when i'm playing dark knight on it at insane i hear subwoofer distrotion and subwoofer farting sound but i thought at that time that its might be present in movie but after when i play another movie i hear like my subwoofer produce fart noise again even at low levels ,i even damage my onkyo 5100 htib speakers too by playing at insane levels they creates distortion even at low volumes ,so i guess i have damge total of 4 subwoofers now :sad: because of my mistake :sad:

one thing i remember is when i have my first sony htib i use to play it at insane levels(total volume 0 to 32 and i'm playing at max 32) after only two months my sub suddenly sound flat not able to produce the same bass as it use to so i connect sony service station and the person who came to my house said the cone has been damage and it needs to be replaced and when it came back from service the bass return and after that he sugest me never play ur system to max ,so i guees its concern with me playing polk psw 125 super high, same thing happens when i have onkyo 5100 htib i too play it at insane levels but when i'm playing dark knight on it at insane i hear subwoofer distrotion and subwoofer farting sound but i thought at that time that its might be present in movie but after when i play another movie i hear like my subwoofer produce fart noise again even at low levels ,i even damage my onkyo 5100 htib speakers too by playing at insane levels they creates distortion even at low volumes ,so i guess i have damge total of 4 subwoofers now :sad: because of my mistake :sad:

So it seems you've got a large history of such issues...:clapping::eek:hyeah::D
You already have the answer then!

No offense meant: Please reduce your font size as reading the post sometimes becomes uncomfortable.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back