ReBangalore DIY workshop?

Good idea Santhosh. As someone who has done a PhD on this( just joking-my PhD has come from the University of Hard Knocks), there is a lot to cover, so maybe the right approach may be to have an overview in the first session and plan the rest out out in multiple sessions, with attendees having a choice of attending those sessions of interest and skipping those they are not interested in.

Lets try and structure the ground we would like to cover, the time available to us, etc and see how the process evolves?

As someone who has done a PhD on this( just joking-my PhD has come from the University of Hard Knocks)
OT: In Kuala Lumpur, there is a "School of Hard Knocks" at the Royal Selangor Museum where they teach tourists to work with Pewter. Some fantastic creations in pewter they have on display there.

I'm not sure if there is any point in having just overview in a session. May be listing out what this overview session comprises would make the picture clearer. I'm saying this because me the logistics involved in organising each session.

What do you folks think about a series of workshops held periodically?

We choose one topic and cover it end to end ... have some demonstrations, hands-on learning etc. If the topic is too large, we can break it down further. This way we can have more focus and actually have a complete (atleast the theory aspect) idea about something rather than little info across various topics.

Just thinking aloud. Your thoughts?

Great idea! A single highly focussed agenda that does not take the whole days time for participants will leave them refreshed and able to juggle schedules as well.

--G0bble

Some topics that I could think of (each can be a 4 hour session, followed by a lunch):
  • DIY Build of a speaker - covers types of speakers, measuring TS parameters, cabinet build
  • DIY Build of an amplifier - covers building, replacement of caps etc
  • DIYing accessories like cables, cable selections, building AV racks etc
  • DIY Room Treatment, easy bare minium tweaks, acoustic measurements, building traps etc
  • Setting up a turntable, maintaining Vinyl

PS: It is important that we don't make it feel like it is a classroom type of session, should be made interesting, interactive and worth everybody's time.

Some topics that I could think of (each can be a 4 hour session, followed by a lunch):
  • DIY Build of a speaker - covers types of speakers, measuring TS parameters, cabinet build
  • DIY Room Treatment, easy bare minium tweaks, acoustic measurements, building traps etc

PS: It is important that we don't make it feel like it is a classroom type of session, should be made interesting, interactive and worth everybody's time.

The topics are fine. But can it be accomplished in 6-8hrs?
Do you need something like a open space instead of classroom?

Why don't we have a separate meet exclusively for Turntables (Phonograph) which will be unique.

The topics are fine. But can it be accomplished in 6-8hrs?
Do you need something like a open space instead of classroom?

Why don't we have a separate meet exclusively for Turntables (Phonograph) which will be unique.

Raghu, guess I should have been more clear in penning down my thoughts. These are all vast subjects and we cannot do justice to them in a 6-8 hour meet that we had previously.

I am proposing that each of the above-mentioned topics be a seperate 4 hour session to be held on different days (in a series of workshops). This way, people can participate in whatever topic interests them and also we would have covered each topic in sufficient detail for members to explore further.

Good that we're having a debate on how to structure it. We can easily have experienced knowledgeable PhDs(Univ of HK) cover each session, depending on whatever is the final format/topic.

Some topics are more extensive and may need a half day, others can easily be combined. I think 6-8 hours is far too long though, maybe 4 hours max.

.... I am proposing that each of the above-mentioned topics be a seperate 4 hour session to be held on different days (in a series of workshops). This way, people can participate in whatever topic interests them and also we would have covered each topic in sufficient detail for members to explore further.

Good suggestion santhosh, a hands-on session on speaker building could take half a day or more as some demos need to be part of the workshop - like measuring TS parameters, crossover assembly, winding inductors and taking acoustic measurements using PC/Laptop.

Last edited:

Building an amp is too vague and generic. Instead it should be a practical workshop on

1. How to solder
  2. some basics about capacitors, resistors, diodes, color codes, identifying and reading components, maintaining polarity, fuses (slow blow etc.,), quality wiring for preamp, different types of connectors usable on pcb
  3. How to wire a transformer correctly
  4. How to wire a volume pot
  5. A demo of achieving a good wiring layout with grounding inside a chassis

So that people can find the courage and confidence to embark on their first DIY. Most DIY projects will clearly mark which component goes where on a PCB so we can skip the electronic theory which is too vast to cover.

--G0bble

Last edited:
Good break down gobble! identifying caps resistors etc is prob a very basic and needed part.

Santhosh not too sure about turntables being included in diy :) unless we cover how to build a motor for one. ;) a diy on how to make your own unipivot arm a la viren now that would be one session!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good break down gobble! identifying caps resistors etc is prob a very basic and needed part.

Santhosh not too sure about turntables being included in diy :) unless we cover how to build a motor for one. ;) a diy on how to make your own unipivot arm a la viren now that would be one session!!

Thanks. For the TT exercise, I propose ,we take apart Santhosh's TT into pieces and put it back together ;):eek:hyeah: :D
Quick! Everyone agree and vote before Santhosh has a chance to reply :lol:

--G0bble

Last edited:
LOL Gobble, leave my TT alone. Stevie is hoping we'll take a photograph of my dismantled TT and make that my avatar pic like his avatar of the dismantled SME 3009):eek:hyeah:.

I meant it would be great to have a session on setting up a TT - topics like choosing a cart, choosing a tonearm, alignment of cart, levelling using a bubble level, cleaning records, what to check while buying used records etc.

Hmmmm looks like someones got the vinyl bug :) we could do one vinyl meet but it wouldn't be under diy technically. We could do a vinyl crawl one day. Start off one persons house and go around.

No worries, let us do the Vinyl Crawl sometime before the DIY meet. Let continue that discussion on Finyl_Vinyl's 401 thread.

Bangalore diy workshop will most likely take place only on the last Sunday of November. Anilva is travelling overseas for sometime, and both Santhosh and I will be out of Bangalore next weekend. I have been preoccupied this past week with some pressing personal matters that cam up unexpectedly.

Accordingly we will do some serious planning in the next few weeks, and give all you guys from out of town enough notice to come over to Bangalore to join us for the first session.

Cheers

I have to miss the very first DIY workshop :(. Some work-related travel has come up and I am likely to be away for most of November and December.

We need volunteers to help co-ordinate this event with guidance from experienced DIY-ers like Anilva and George. Kindly express your interest on this thread.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back