receiver and floorstander setup...Need to decide fast..

boombox

Hi all,

I have been contemplating of getting a HT setup for long time (3 yrs) and its high time I got one.

Well my requirements as precisely as I can pen it down..

Room size - 23'*14'

music : movies - 50:50 (music : new age, chillout, house, trance and no rock..surprisingly)

Budget - Rs 50k to 60k (anything beyond i'll have to go hungry)

I have auditioned the following

1) polk audio monitor 60 and RTi A7 with denon 1907 - I liked the RTi A7, but am looking at RTi A5 which fits my budget
(offered price Rs 32350 fro 1908, rs 28000 for 1907, rs 33450 for RTi A5)

2) Wharfedale diamond 9.5 and 9.6 with a yamaha stereo receiver (will audition with 1907 tomorrow)- liked the 9.6 over 9.5 for the low frequency.
(offered price Rs 30000 for 9.6 and rs 22500 for 9.5 )

Other receivers prices offered 1) marantz 4001 - rs 25000 2) denon 2307 - rs 32000 3) onkyo TX sr606 - rs 36000 4) Elac fs-58 rs 40000

Will be auditioning Monitor audio BR5.

since I am on a tight budget i plan to go in for a receiver and floor standers for the time being

I cannot go for an amp, even though I would prefer one, as I would miss out the movies part.

Which of the above would be a good pair to start with and upgrade later.

Hi,

Buddy you've started on the right foot ! whatever do far you've Auditioned is the best of the lot in the price range that you've allocated !!

One small correction though is,the receiver will have the Amp ! so what you say cannot buy an amp is not at all a matter of fact !!

One more thing for the taste and usage that you've suggested,I'd strongly recommend against the Stereo Receivers !! its not a good choice !!

As with the speakers I'd say Wharfedale is the best Value for money and best part is the price quoted for the 9.6 is absolutely steal (make sure its a sealed piece and not a used or Ex demo stock,coz the price offered is such) !! don't even think twice head straight and pick it up !!

The AVR I would recommend Yamaha 663 ! should be in the range of 32+ and it'll compliment the 9.6 very well !! The remaining speakers can be bought later to complete the proper home theater system !! The choice for that also is very simple,just go for 9 center ,9.0 or 9.1 surround and dipole for for Surround back (for 7.1) the Sub will be SW150,hence completing the 5.1 or 7.1 with all matching speakers !!

Regards.

Last edited:
HOne more thing for the taste and usage that you've suggested,I'd strongly recommend against the Stereo Receivers !! its not a good choice !!Regards.

Sreekanth
Arn't integrated stereo amps (pre + power) are also called stereo receivers?
I am little confused so i hope you dont mind me asking

Sreekanth
Arn't integrated stereo amps (pre + power) are also called stereo receivers?
I am little confused so i hope you dont mind me asking

A two channel amp that has pre and power units is called just an INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER.

A stereo receiver, on the other hand, has a pre amplifier, a power amplifier, and a radio receiver, usually to receive AM and FM signals. This will come with a small antenna that you stick somewhere and connect to the receiver.

Cheers

I was advised by fellow members to also buy center channel while doing a HT setup along with the fronts and later go for surrounds.

Sorry for posting on the wrong thread. I was searching for fs 58 price in India and saw this thread listed with date 7 Jan 2011. Did not look at the dates of posts.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back