• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Recommendation for 6 or 6.5" woofer for ISOBARIC Config

Wharfedale EVO4.1 Bookshelf Speakers

jmascreen

I am looking to build a project with fostex 4" Full ranger(FE126En) with an ISOBARIC woofer configuration.

I need suggestions/recommendation for woofers in size of 6" or 6.5" (4 Ohms) which can deliver low frequency around 30Hz also should be around or above 90db spl

I will be using a miniDSP based active crossover initially and later a passive crossover once the frequency are locked. Thinking of woofer till 250Hz and thereafter the fostex takeover.

Last edited:

HormusPeston

Hi jmascreen.
This is an old idea and I've tried it once. The principal problem is finding identical drivers. It was near impossible in the 80s and I gave up soon after. I suspect you will face the same problem today. Matching transistors to within 5% gain often requires a purchase of 10 or more pairs--you might find yourself with two excellent drivers that don't work well together.
Cheers,
~HP

jmascreen

Hi jmascreen.
This is an old idea and I've tried it once. The principal problem is finding identical drivers. It was near impossible in the 80s and I gave up soon after. I suspect you will face the same problem today. Matching transistors to within 5% gain often requires a purchase of 10 or more pairs--you might find yourself with two excellent drivers that don't work well together.
Cheers,
~HP

Thanks, I will go with reputed drivers which has good quality control and a carbon copy of each other.