Recommendation Sought for AV and speakers in Bangalore

brkumar

I am looking for recommendation to setup my Home Theater system. I have a 37 Samsung LCD TV with Xbox 360 Elite (with HDMI & SPDIF out) , a HTPC (with HDMI, SPDIF & analog 5.1 out) and a Tatasky+ connection (with HDMI, SPDIF & Analog 5.1 out).

My HTPC has a Realtek ALC892 Hi-def audio chipset supporting DTS Surround, SRS Trusurround HD, SRS Premium sound, etc.. Xbox 360 supports Dolby Digital Plus ( Connect Your Xbox 360). TataSky+ supports Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Surround sound.

I am looking for a 5.1 speaker wall mountable solution for my home.I also hope to use the same speakers for Xbox, HTPC & Tatasky.

What are my options on procuring a 5.1 speaker system? Will I need a dedicated AV Receiver or a digital 5.1 speakers (like Logitech Z-5500) can do the job? My budget is around 40K.

If you plan to use the same speakers for your Xbox,HTPC and Tatasky then you have to go in for an AVR. In case you are sure that you want only the wall mounted speakers then ETC 5.1 would be the best bet as Pioneer SP BS 21 can not be wall mounted unless one uses shelves.

You might have to increase your budget to at least 50k as the ETC 5.1 in themselves would cost around 34-35k and an entry level AVR like Yamaha 371 or Denon 1312 would be for around 17k.

Check out HTIBs from Onkyo and Yamaha, will be around 35K.

If its primarily movies and gaming (ONLY SINGLE DEVICE) then PC speakers will do. Plus they are wall mountable.

Speaker System Z906

Only problem you will not have multiple inputs and if you want to connect multiple devices HTIBs are a better option. If its only once device then PC speakers can be considered.

The Logitech speaker Z906 looks like an interesting option. It claims to have multiple input sources with hardware decoding of THX, Dolby Surround 5.1 & DTS.

Since I am primarily looking for a Movie/Gaming solution, any reason why I need an AVR if the device seems so capable? Please enlighten me as I do not see the need for AVR with Logitech Z906.

All your devices have HDMI which can carry both audio and video. So An AVR will help in reducing wire clutter. You only need to connect all the HDMI devices to the AVR and another HDMI cable from AVR to TV. The AVR acts as a switch. With TV and logitech you will need to change the inputs of both whic means playing with two remotes. Also these AVR based systems have superior sound equalization options like Audessey which will adjust AVR parameters depending on your room characteristics. I will prefer an AVR to the Z906. But if you are on a tight budget, then you have no other choice, but Z906.

The Logitech speaker Z906 looks like an interesting option. It claims to have multiple input sources with hardware decoding of THX, Dolby Surround 5.1 & DTS.

Since I am primarily looking for a Movie/Gaming solution, any reason why I need an AVR if the device seems so capable? Please enlighten me as I do not see the need for AVR with Logitech Z906.

The Logitech comes with inbuilt AVR/amplifier... same as other PC speakers.

For your need I don't see the need for an AVR (provided the Logitech has multiple inputs).

But if you have the budget then AVR is recommended. I have an Onkyo which is connected to DVDP, Tata Sky, Sony Playstation and I use the Onkyo for pretty much everything. Only music sounds bad in it.

One of my friends mentioned about a competing product for Logitech Z906 from Onkyo called HTX-22HDX, which is a 2.1 system but can be easily upgradable to 5.1 with some additional speakers.
A quick search regarding this Onkyo speaker came up with some stellar reviews. This seems to be ideal fit for my requirements. What do you guys think about this system?

I think the 22dx is around 20k. If you add 2 more speakers, the price would be nearly equal to the Onkyo HTS 3400.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back