Regarding Banana Plugs

I felt sound was warmer with little conpromise in details was monoprice plug.

Nakamachi which l got used to enhance treble.

MX ordinary used to reduce overall soundstage in my system.
Also used DAC gold plated,which were good but little loss in details.
Bare wire gives better sound unless very well banana plugs in market are used.

Thanks. Never thought different types of plugs can alter sound quality.
I was planning to get Amazon basics banana plugs. Now bare DAC wires are used and I think i will stick with it for now.

Thanks. Never thought different types of plugs can alter sound quality.
I was planning to get Amazon basics banana plugs. Now bare DAC wires are used and I think i will stick with it for now.

Yes its the metal and the coating on the plug that makes the difference I think. However, if you can use bare wires, nothing like it.

MaSh

if you can use bare wires, nothing like it.
This is the best part you said. I really feel people use banana plugs for convenience, I doubt they can alter the sound quality unless they are very badly built. Good plugs can have cheap prices and most expensive one can be good too because of the material they use. Like many said on amazon about monoprice plugs are not good and iron mixed found in them, attracted to magnets. And for the SQ it's really difficult for anyone to audtion with each pair and then go for that brand, there are numerous.

I have chord silver screen plugs with my chord cable and vdh plugs with my Clearwater cable. Made no difference to audio. Of course my ears are old and I can’t pick up these subtle differences. The plugs look good though

DAC cables are one of the worst I have used. The turned black within a month. Threw them away.

I have chord silver screen plugs with my chord cable and vdh plugs with my Clearwater cable. Made no difference to audio. Of course my ears are old and I can’t pick up these subtle differences. The plugs look good though

DAC cables are one of the worst I have used. The turned black within a month. Threw them away.
You saved me. thanks!! I'm about to buy :)

Agree, on our simple systems in non treated rooms, there is a limit to what plugs and cables can do. In my case, I doubt I will hear any more tings or tongs if I put in higher grade plugs.

MaSh

Amazon basics Banana plugs at work with my custom cables. The only thing missing right now, thanks to Indian customs, is the braided cable sleeves which would change the look of these cables.
If anyone attempting to do like I did, make sure you get good quality heatshrink which has 3:1 or 4:1 shrinking capacity. Mine had 2:1 capacity and it was a pain to work with these hence had to use multiple layers of heat shrink as you can see which doesn't give a neat look.
I am planning to do the same when i get my new sewel banana plugs from US.
Where did you get the heat shrink from? any idea what size will i be needing? i using Kimber Kable 4VS.

Thanks.

I am planning to do the same when i get my new sewel banana plugs from US.
Where did you get the heat shrink from? any idea what size will i be needing? i using Kimber Kable 4VS.

Thanks.
I sourced my heatshrink from AliExpress. They very cheap. I ordered multiple sizes of each red and black. You could do the same. The size depends on the cable and plug both. I'll recommend to get 3 or 4, 6, 8, 10mm each 1m. That's how I bought. Do remember to get 3:1 or 4:1 for easier application. 2:1 is widely and easily available. I can post some links from Aliexpress if you want.

I sourced my heatshrink from AliExpress. They very cheap. I ordered multiple sizes of each red and black. You could do the same. The size depends on the cable and plug both. I'll recommend to get 3 or 4, 6, 8, 10mm each 1m. That's how I bought. Do remember to get 3:1 or 4:1 for easier application. 2:1 is widely and easily available. I can post some links from Aliexpress if you want.
Whats the difference between 3:1 & 4:1? i m new to heat shrinks but definitely wanna try it. Would be great for me & other members if you could post the links :)

Also in the pic u attached earlier, you using which mm ones?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between 3:1 & 4:1? i m new to heat shrinks but definitely wanna try it. Would be great for me & other members if you could post the links :)

Also in the pic u attached earlier, you using which mm ones?

Thanks.

These are the ones I used for red its a package of many sizes :
http://s.aliexpress.com/V3yYJzu2?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

And the ones i used for black -
http://s.aliexpress.com/nIB7VJvM?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
This is one size, I ordered many sizes from same seller as below:Screenshot_20180120-164413.png

I don't remember which sizes exactly I used but it was a mix and match of the sizes you see in the Screenshot as I had to use multiple layers to get proper tight fight and good look.

2:1 means it will shrink to half of it original diameter.
4:1 means it will shrink to one fourth of its original diameter.

Here is the link for 3:1 heatshrink with multiple size options :
http://s.aliexpress.com/rIJNVb2e?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
For 4:1 :
http://s.aliexpress.com/36bY7rAB?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
Look for relevant sizes you need from the same seller.
Similarly search for red ones too.
Hope this helps.

You could get heatshrinks from diyaudiocart.com too. I have used them and found them quite okay for the price.

MaSh

How do one terminate the cables it's just the back open. Can anyone put a picture of cable terminates?

How do one terminate the cables it's just the back open. Can anyone put a picture of cable terminates?

Are you refering to the Amazon Basics plugs? Check the amazon link I posted. In one of the pictures on the website, they have shown how to do it.

MaSh

Almost every speaker connector whether spade or banana uses two screws to fasten the stripped portion of the cable. So it's a simple matter of stripping the wire to appropriate length, inserting it into the hole, and tightening the screws. Heat shrink sleeving is optional but a good practice.

This one is bit different need to bring down the copper wires that's what I got from the image pointed by @MaSh

Almost every speaker connector whether spade or banana uses two screws to fasten the stripped portion of the cable. So it's a simple matter of stripping the wire to appropriate length, inserting it into the hole, and tightening the screws. Heat shrink sleeving is optional but a good practice.

This one is bit different need to bring down the copper wires that's what I got from the image pointed by @MaSh

Okay, I just saw the Amazon link. The last picture in the product page gives instructions on how to fit it. This is exactly how the shielding of some types of BNC connectors are made. It's definitely more fiddly than simple screw but I'm guessing it will provide a much more secure connection since the two barrels will press it together. Very nice connector:)

Will try tomorrow I got a dozen of it will replace all the MX. Also does it make sense to replace the amphenol connectors too for an uniformity?

Okay, I just saw the Amazon link. The last picture in the product page gives instructions on how to fit it. This is exactly how the shielding of some types of BNC connectors are made. It's definitely more fiddly than simple screw but I'm guessing it will provide a much more secure connection since the two barrels will press it together. Very nice connector:)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back