Replacing of Capstan Belt on Nakamichi DR-10 Deck

Selvin

A year before I tried to attempt to replace my Nakamichi DR-10 deck Capstan belt. But I closed back my deck due to fear about the complex Nak mechanism. I searched over net for a proper step by step method but nothing found much useful. Last month again I tried and successfully completed the task. Thanks to our FM Indinakdocs various threads on Nakamichi decks which gave me some confidence. Based on my experience I prepared a step by step procedure with photos and it may be useful for someone.

Required Tools:

1. Screwdriver PH2 and PH1 sizes.
2. Nose Plier
3. 100mm cable ties.
4. Tie cutter.

Procedure:

Power off the deck and move to a neat working table.

Eject the cassette compartment.

Firmly hold the Cassette Compartment Door as shown in the below Fig. and gently apply pressure from down to upwards.

Now the door disengages from its holder and move it a safe place.

Remove the top cover. To do this need to remove 8 screws. Three from each side and two from Rear side of the deck. Note here the Side screws and Rear side screws are different type.

Keep the deck downwards (Top side down) and remove the mechanism inspection cover. To do this remove four screws shown in below Fig.

Remove five Front Panel fixing screws. Note here screws marked 1, 2 & 3 are same size and 4 & 5 are another size.

Rotate the deck upwards and remove the Front Panel two top side fixing screws.

Gently move the Front Panel assemble forward (Towards front side).

To replace the belt need to remove the mechanism Capstan Motor assembly plate. To do this need to remove five screws (PH1 head). Three are in left side and two are in rear side of the mechanism.

First remove the side screws. Screwdriver accessing of these screws are difficult. So first remove the small side plate which marked as A in below Fig. To remove the plate remove the two arrowed screws and lift the plate upwards.

Now it is easy to remove the Capstan Motor assembly plate screws.
After removing all five small screws move the Capstan Motor assembly plate (marked 'B') towards rear. If required cut the circled cable tie.

Remove the worn out belt.

Encircle new belt over both Capstan Fly Wheels and Motor pulley as it was. Gently rotate the fly wheel one or two rotation.

Everything is ok mount the Capstan Motor assembly plate back.

Please note here, there are two Pressure Pads (a small copper washer kind ; shown below Fig) are there in between Capstan Fly Wheels and Capstan Motor assembly plate. Most of the time it falls once the Capstan Motor assembly plate moved. Carefully put back (The hard task in the process) before tighten the Capstan Motor assembly plate screws.

Fix back all screws / covers in reverse process.
Just check two plastic washers in the Capstan which arrowed in below Fig and if required just push back before putting back the cassette compartment door.

Connect and enjoy your favorite Cassettes.:)

Last edited:
Hi Selvin

I am facing the exact same situation with two of my decks (Cassette Deck 1 and DR-2) and both seem to have identical mechanisms and I really wanted to get some further clarifications on a few steps you outlined.

I dropped you an offline note, please respond back.

Best Regards
Rajiv

Hi Selvin

I am facing the exact same situation with two of my decks (Cassette Deck 1 and DR-2) and both seem to have identical mechanisms and I really wanted to get some further clarifications on a few steps you outlined.

I dropped you an offline note, please respond back.

Best Regards
Rajiv

Responded to your PM.

Capston motor available in Bangalore SP Road. But it is not original mabuchi just Chinese made. I used one of this motor to service a Denon deck of my friend. Working fine and speed variation was within limit. You may check with local electronics shops. A 12V, 2400rpm CCW motors works here.

Capston motor available in Bangalore SP Road. But it is not original mabuchi just Chinese made. I used one of this motor to service a Denon deck of my friend. Working fine and speed variation was within limit. You may check with local electronics shops. A 12V, 2400rpm CCW motors works here.
Thanks selvin, i will bother you more off line

Thanks Selvin, quick query - which belt did you order for your DR10?
The OEM one for the DR3 is OC80034A. Could not seem to get it on the list.

DR3 and DR10 belts are different size. Since the DR3 is single capston type the belt is smaller in size. The DR-3 Belt is FBM6.7, Flat Belt, Medium 6.7 Inch. The same belt is also used in other two head Nakamichi decks BX-100, BX-125 etc.

DR3 and DR10 belts are different size. Since the DR3 is single capston type the belt is smaller in size. The DR-3 Belt is FBM6.7, Flat Belt, Medium 6.7 Inch. The same belt is also used in other two head Nakamichi decks BX-100, BX-125 etc.

Whats I can use for deck 2?

Thanks for the help Selvin, I ordered the FBM6.7 for the deck and a FBM23.6 for a Pioneer PL514X turntable which I have started working on.

@Selvin thanx for the post , i also m looking for belts for my akai gxc and a needle for my garrard table , do that site ship to india ??

I forgot to mention that I received the belt, lovely quality, and well packaged. Came with pads for cleaning rubber stains left by the previous belt. Followed the process exactly what Selvin mentioned (with some minor changes as mine is a DR3) and yes, I am well and truly enjoying the music. I haven't started working on the Pioneer as I am a bit held up professionally and also I have an amplifier project running. Shall post an update once that is done.

I found this tip from 12voltvids on youtube - a set of dental tools such as this one
Takes a LOT of work out of belt changing - it lets you skip a lot of dismantling, because they let you reach into nooks which you would not be able to reach before. 10/10 recommended if you work with a lot of equipment with fiddly belts

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back