Replacing polk rti a3 with warmer speakers.

scipath

I have owned a pair of polk rti a3 for almost 2 years now. They were my first hifi audio purchase (although some people refuse to call the polks 'hifi'). While buying them, I had no experience and wisdom in this area, so had to rely entirely on online reviews and an audition at the store. The reasons for my decision were the following things I read online about the polks: They are good for both music and movies, placement is not much of an issue, i.e they can be placed closer to walls and their bass goes deep. Also while auditioning, I liked the way they sounded.
However, my audio room and tastes have changed over these 2 years. I notice that I almost never use the speakers for ht, and use it exclusively for stereo music. Secondly, I now have speaker stands which can now be placed more than 2 m away from the walls, and I have a subwoofer for <80 hz bass. Also, I find their tone to be a little bright, which even though brings out the details, sometimes sound fatiguing to my medically proven hypersensitive ears (not at all a good thing, trust me). So I am toying with the idea of selling my current speakers, and replacing them with passive bookshelves in the same class. I would prefer a neutral or warm tone, and speakers costing around the same as the rti's. I listen mostly to soft rock, world folk (eg celtic), Hindustani and Marathi abhangs and play at low to moderate volume.
So I have two questions:
1) Any suggestions for such bookshelf speakers?
2) Approximately how much could be the expected resale value of the polks? They are in perfect condition, no damage whatsoever. (I am not putting them for sale right now, just considering the option.)

I was also started my jorney with the polk rtia3.
Auditioning wharfdale diomond 220 or 225 bookshelf
or try Q acoustics 3020I (more relaxed and non fatiguing sound signature)

Thanks. Plan to audition wharfedales. What about elac debut b6? And Dali zensor or Spektor?

Last edited:
Try
Sonus faber bookshelf speakers (its pricy) , but will satisfy you
Monitor Audio book shelves , that may fit to your budget

Costs 10 times as much as an rti. I am looking for something in the same price range. Less than 30 k per pair.
Then Try Wharfedale,Jamo or JBL which is having warmer character...U may need to auidtion it .There may be lot needs to be checked whats in the chain.

I would recommend upgrading to the next level to get better performance. (instead of sticking to A3 price range)
You may consider KEF Q350, SVS Prime Bookshelf, Q Acoustics Concept 20 etc.

If you want to stick to the price range of A3, you can also consider Q Acoustics 3020i, Sonodyne 3260 etc.

Considering the type of songs your interested in, I recommend auditioning Sonodyne Avant T2 towers as well. Take your CDs/FLAC files with you while going for audition

I have owned a pair of polk rti a3 for almost 2 years now. They were my first hifi audio purchase (although some people refuse to call the polks 'hifi'). While buying them, I had no experience and wisdom in this area, so had to rely entirely on online reviews and an audition at the store. The reasons for my decision were the following things I read online about the polks: They are good for both music and movies, placement is not much of an issue, i.e they can be placed closer to walls and their bass goes deep. Also while auditioning, I liked the way they sounded.
However, my audio room and tastes have changed over these 2 years. I notice that I almost never use the speakers for ht, and use it exclusively for stereo music. Secondly, I now have speaker stands which can now be placed more than 2 m away from the walls, and I have a subwoofer for <80 hz bass. Also, I find their tone to be a little bright, which even though brings out the details, sometimes sound fatiguing to my medically proven hypersensitive ears (not at all a good thing, trust me). So I am toying with the idea of selling my current speakers, and replacing them with passive bookshelves in the same class. I would prefer a neutral or warm tone, and speakers costing around the same as the rti's. I listen mostly to soft rock, world folk (eg celtic), Hindustani and Marathi abhangs and play at low to moderate volume.
So I have two questions:
1) Any suggestions for such bookshelf speakers?
2) Approximately how much could be the expected resale value of the polks? They are in perfect condition, no damage whatsoever. (I am not putting them for sale right now, just considering the option.)
You should also try to audition the Dynaudio Emit M10 & M20's as well.

F
Thanks. Plan to audition wharfedales. What about elac debut b6? And Dali zensor or Spektor?
From my personal experience, wharfedale 225 sounds much better than elac debut b6. 225 has good overall sound signature, which is not at all fatiguing. Elac is also non fatiguing, but its highs are way too much recessed, which is typical for all debut series.
I think 220 and elac b6 will sound more or less similar, with b6 having little better bass. So i would say audition 225 and elac b6.

Dali Zensor is well speaker. many people love this.. and also Elac Debut B6 very balanced and nice sounding speaker and oviusly feet your budget too..

I would recommend upgrading to the next level to get better performance. (instead of sticking to A3 price range)

If you want to stick to the price range of A3, you can also consider Q Acoustics 3020i, Sonodyne 3260 etc.

Considering the type of songs your interested in, I recommend auditioning Sonodyne Avant T2 towers as well. Take your CDs/FLAC files with you while going for audition
Hi @HTuser , is there any sonodyne showroom / dealers available in bengalore ?. Looks like there are no dealers in bengalore for audition ?.
I was interested in avant series , still it wasn't available for audition at that time i went with sonus series with tasmai automation ( they were initially dealing with sonodyne ) ..now they are not.

Sonodyne -sonus FS were great for watching movies , but not sure it's good for music. we need to pair with stereo amp and check,,, i have only 7.1 AVR. With this AVR music is decent .. not great.

I think that may be a good suggestion, given that many of the speakers suggested above are well beyond my intended budget. I'll consider increasing my budget. Meanwhile, I'll audition some of the speakers above and look around for different speakers. If I find something really pleasing within my budget, then will consider making the replacement. I am in no hurry to upgrade. Just thinking about it. Till then try to make the most of what I have.

Norge audio 2060

With this amplifier I don't know if Elac B6 Will suit

Please take your amplifier with you when you go to purchase .

Many times improving the source quality helps in getting better sound.

The speakers are blamed first :)as they reproduce the sound ...but remember they reproduce the sound fed to them from the source.

Hi @HTuser , is there any sonodyne showroom / dealers available in bengalore ?. Looks like there are no dealers in bengalore for audition ?.
I was interested in avant series , still it wasn't available for audition at that time i went with sonus series with tasmai automation ( they were initially dealing with sonodyne ) ..now they are not.

Sonodyne -sonus FS were great for watching movies , but not sure it's good for music. we need to pair with stereo amp and check,,, i have only 7.1 AVR. With this AVR music is decent .. not great.

The Home Cinema (Electronic City, Bangalore) is the dealer for Sonodyne in Bangalore. I believe they have Avant, Sonus, IWO series, Ceiling speakers etc. in demo. Whoever interested in Sonodyne may contact Rupesh - 8296500666

Avant T2 is considered to be better Floor Standing speaker compared to Sonus.

I think that may be a good suggestion, given that many of the speakers suggested above are well beyond my intended budget. I'll consider increasing my budget. Meanwhile, I'll audition some of the speakers above and look around for different speakers. If I find something really pleasing within my budget, then will consider making the replacement. I am in no hurry to upgrade. Just thinking about it. Till then try to make the most of what I have.

Proper integration of Subwoofer with bookshelf speakers are not an easy task. The sound reproduction should be smooth and we should not be having the feel that there is a subwoofer playing low frequencies.

In case you are not going to play contents with deep bass, you may consider 2.0 setup using towers instead of Bookshelt+Subwoofer combo.

You can audition tower speakers and listen with sub and without sub and decide. In case you like 2.0 setup, you will be able to sell your bookshelf speakers and subwoofer so that extra money required for towers will be less

+1 vote for Q ACOUSTICS 3020 speakers. I have used them for two years .Detailed sound than the polks.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back