Replacing Z2300 Satellite Speakers

pratzgh1

Hey Guys,

Revisiting the site after a long time and realised the fun I've been missing on. I own a Logitech Z2300 and absolutely love them. The problem is that they've aged and the satellite speakers gave up.

In the midst to at least have some audio from my PC, I chose to get a replacement pair of speakers in the same housing. These speakers cost me Rs. 300 a pair. Unfortunately while playing a YouTube video, I did not check the speaker volume knob and the volume levels were way too high for these cheap speakers to handle.

I am still searching for a replacement pair and have failed to get anything similar to what Logitech made. I want a good pair of 2.5" speakers that will fit the Z2300 satellite housing or a pair of affordable bookshelf speakers that would replace them.

I would love to spend lavishly on the replacement set but it would not make sense for a speaker set I bought over a decade ago for 7K. Also, my budget would not allow it as well. :eek:

Do let me know what is the workaround in my case as I feel lost at this moment. One of my friends has an ingenious idea of using car speakers in a custom made housing to be used as satellite speakers. I am not sure how feasible this option would be. Also, I live in Navi Mumbai and finding audio solutions is quite a bummer.

Regards,
Pratik

you have plenty of options.
I am currently using them with a pair of philips hiq drivers and they sound fabulous (and much better than the original drivers!)
only problem is that the hi q drivers are 8" and as big as the sub!

car speakers should also do fine, but look for something that can handle 40W RMS

the Z2300 amp is pretty powerful and can beat many entry level amps, and even blow up its own sattelites (mine overheated after using it for a party)

getting 2.5 inch speakers that can handle 40W is going to be tough, so better look for something bigger

Honestly the philips HiQ is the best option, if you have space to spare, and can take a trip to lamington road. They cost about 600 for a pair (the 25W version would be better), and slap them on a pair of readymade speaker boxes (should also be available at lamington), you'll have a giant killer system that has better mids and lows than anything you can get for south of 50K

Last edited:
you have plenty of options.
I am currently using them with a pair of philips hiq drivers and they sound fabulous (and much better than the original drivers!)
only problem is that the hi q drivers are 8" and as big as the sub!

8" drivers are massive. Could you be kind enough to post your setup image? :)

they should work ok, but they'll sound worse than the philips and probably cost more

I used the Z2300 sub as a dedicated subwoofer from a old-age Denon PMA 737 for some time. I used a Y splitter, and tried the record out of the amp(the volume control is missing here) The idea was to add some extra bass to a pair of Bang and Olufsen RL 60.2 and later with a pair of B and W DM 560's . But, in both cases, the imaging of the speakers was loosing, when I turn on the sub. But, it was good for movies as both the speakers lacked low end.;)[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, there are a few noob queries that are bugging my mind:

1. My PC setup is cramped in a space that will require these speakers to be placed right next to my Monitor. Will this cause any problem to the monitor? The Satellite housing on Z2300 shields it from magnetic waves but I am not sure it would be the case with such large drivers as the ones mentioned here.
2. Will this custom-made housing for a driver this large last well in the longer run?
3. Also, will there be rattles due to poor fitments, etc?
4. If I choose speakers from an old music system, how good or bad would they be as compared to the Philips HIQ Speakers? I can find speakers of yesteryear music systems on OLX, Ebay or Quikr.
5. Will something as large as the music system speakers pose a threat to my Z2300 sub?

Last edited:
If you have an LCD monitor, then you don't have to worry, but if its a CRT and the speakers need to be placed right nearby, then most DIY & old music sytem speakers options are out as most are not magnetically shielded

the Z2300 has a HPF internally which sends most of the bass to the sub, so the sattelites will be getting only mids & highs so chances of rattles are less

you get ready made speaker boxes with cutouts for 8" woofer and a tweeter at lamington. They may not look pretty, but they get the job done. They should last long unless you damage them through impact or water

old music system speakers will have better bass than the hiq, but thats pointless because the bass is being send to the sub anyway. you need speakers with good mids and highs - if not philips hiq, get car speakers in a box

no the music system speakers will not pose a threat

I am getting the Sony SS-H50 for pretty cheap. How would they work as satellite speakers? Since they are small and powerful, they would be perfect for a desktop placement.

Yup they should do fine
hello , i found this post through google search , i recently bought a used z2300 on olx with its satellites speakers. the rubber ring on both speakers is torn, is it a good option to get these speakers repaired on shop? can u suggest any good speakers or what specs to look for in a speakers for pairing with the z2300? i cant use the 8" ones you suggested earlier due to less space.

hello , i found this post through google search , i recently bought a used z2300 on olx with its satellites speakers. the rubber ring on both speakers is torn, is it a good option to get these speakers repaired on shop? can u suggest any good speakers or what specs to look for in a speakers for pairing with the z2300? i cant use the 8" ones you suggested earlier due to less space.

I also bought Logitech Z-5500 with broken satellite speakers that has rubber surrounds broken. You got any solution?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back