Request to review my htpc config

4GB DDR is an overkill for an HTPC.
For anything that a normal HTPC is subjected to, 2GB is more than it ever needs.
I also purchased 4GB RAM when building my HTPC but removed it later to be used in my desktop machine. Anyways more RAM will not hurt other than our pockets...lol

Intel E5400 - 3050
Gigabyte G41M - 2600
Corsair 2GB DDR3 - 2350
ATI 5450 - 3000
DVD Writer - 950
500 GB HDD - 1800
Zebronics Bijli -1600

ATI 5450 had Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD Master AudioTM Support and specially designed for HTPC purpose,casual gaming and power efficient so you don't want to buy special power supply(like corsair).

Last edited:
i agree .. vlc player had noticable picture impovement as compared to windows media player when playing mkv. i am also impressed with the audio/video options it gives.

of course VLC is better than Windows media player.

You can Try Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Video Player 64 bit if you have 64 bit OS else Homecinema 32 bit.

Its better than VLC player. And It efficiently uses the graphics card for decoding and your CPU usage will be very minimal for playing movies. And it has more filters to finetune the picture and sound.

With this player on .. I am able to do my other tasks (browsing ,chating..etc) while movie is running.

Sound quality is better than VLC.

Last edited:
..Separate graphics and sound card MAY not be required....
I think you can go for a basic graphics card with HDMI output with minimum 128 MB so that you can connect to your LCD TV. It will cost around 2k to 2.5k. In built graphics card generally wont work fine especially for HD movies.

If you have home theater setup you may not require sound card. But check whether you have SPDIF output to connect to the AMP.

Or else you need a good sound card to connect to PC speakers to get the good sound.

ATI 54xx series is not so great for HD movies. They are reported to have problems rendering straight lines (shows up a bit jagged).

Look for ATI 55xx and above if you are concerned about high quality HD playback.

some additions to my htpc

got this keyboard with trackball mouse from amkette for complete couch operation :)
eBay India: WIRELESS TRACKBALL KEYBOARD with 10 Mtr Range - AMKETTE (item 220682594444 end time 20-Oct-2010 22:07:44 IST)

ordered the LG blu ray internal drive through a friend
Newegg.com - LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - Blu-Ray Burners

I guess this completes my htpc config (at least for the time :) i am sure i will get new tips as i keep reading this forum :))

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

thanks
Sachin

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back