Request to review my htpc config

s_sachin

Hello friends

First i want to thank all the forum members for making this such an intersting and interactive forum !

I am planning to build an HTPC for audio,video, broswing but definately no serious gaming. This is the configuration i have arrived at after reading forum messages and googling around.

MD - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 250 AM3 Dual Core 3.0 GHz
Memory - 2 * 2 DDR 3
HD - 500 GB
Case - iball baby or some mid atx case.

This is my first htpc and actually first attempt to assemble a pc :)

I needed some inputs on ..
1. Is the MB good ? It has HDMI, Optical out. Do i need a sound card or video card ?
2. As per the reviews it seems like a low heat / low noise system. is that correct ?

And lastly is the latest config around. I am on a budget , but dont want to get something which is out dated or not future proof.

ANy inputs on this appreciated. Any other things i should watch out for please let me know.

thanks
Sachin

One more thing i missed, I am going to use a DVD RW drive i have for now, but plan to upgrade to a blue ray drive in near future.

thanks
Sachin

Please look for a 45W TDP cpu like the E series. If you can get 400e or 405E or 600E nothing like it. Else settle for 245E or BE-4050E or BE-4850 or something.

785G is good.

Cheers

I would rather go for a sempron than an athlon if the system is going to be running continioulsy . If you plan to switch it off then the athlon makes sense .
There is nothing like future proof . If you want to be future proof , you might have to become a caveman , but even then there is evolution .

Just try to get the sound cards and graphics seperate with the sempron . The costing works out almost the same .

Thanks guys !

The MB i mentioned comes with HDMI and optical out on board. Is there general suggestion that i go for a standard MD with seperate graphics/sound card ?

thanks
Sachin

Separate graphics and sound card MAY not be required.

Start without those and if you are satisfied with the PQ and SQ, then you are fine... else you can always add them.

Remember, the HTPC should run silent, so carefully choose the Power Supply, CPU fan, case fan, HDD etc.

The case is left to the user, very subjective.

What OS? what front end s/w? I use WMC 7 and am quite satisfied.

Separate GC means one more fan and one more source of noise. 785G onboard is good enough.

Cheers

Hello friends

MD - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H

thanks
Sachin

Since ur going for a blue ray player in the future

Pl bear in mind that the inbuilt HDMI connection only supports 2 channel audio. If you would want lossless 5.1 audio you would have to use individual connections(which is a real hassle) or buy a separate sound card . Realised this only after buying this board :(

Also I am unable to play crysis on the inbuilt Radeon 3xxx card . (Applicable only if you plan to play games)

Last edited:
ok i have managed to assemble this :) i had bit of a struggle to have the computer boot (this is my first computer assembly:)) , the problem being that cpu reuired seperate power and that too the 4 pins from psu had to align correctly with 8 pin on th board. apart from that it was smooth.

used the same components i mentioned , but a different version of mb785 - usb3 instead of us2h.

connected to my avr and 40 inch lcd, initital reaction is that audio and specially 5.1 surround is better than my wdtv live. i can hear more stuff from the surround speakes now :)

i am still researching what media softwae to use. media center is already there as os is win 7. but it does not support mkv etc out of box. other option xmbc.

will update ...

i agree .. vlc player had noticable picture impovement as compared to windows media player when playing mkv. i am also impressed with the audio/video options it gives.

Last edited:
The reciever I have right now does not support HDMI audio , so i am using toslink anyway. Probably will get a graphics card when i have better reciever, right now i am happy with dolby :)

By the way is anyone using harmony (i have 525) remote for HTPC ?
I have a cheap media center remote with an IR usb atatchment. Was hoping that the harmony remote can learn from this, but that remote does not have any manufacture name or anything else mentioned :(

Sachin... Whats the cost of the components.

I was looking to buy a wd live but looking at your thread, the HTPC bug is biting me as well.

Here is the list of components and price. I might have been ripped off a bit as i bought at local shop rather than going to chinnoy center which is lamington road of hyderabad :) so you may get better price if you go at such places.

MD - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-USB3 - 5900
Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 245 AM3 Dual Core 3.0 GHz - 2900
Memory - 2 * 2 DDR 3 - 2700 each
HD - 500 GB - 2000
Case - iball baby 370 - 1600

I already have a WDTV and was looking at another one for the bedroom tv, but i decided to go with an htpc which gives me fexibility to upgrade to blue ray drive, multiple media softwares and also as another computer.

thanks
Sachin

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back