require HTiB with BR player - visiting Malaysia

pcpranav

Hi Friends,

recently I purchased Panasonic 42UT50 3D and I have refrained myself connecting with an old Philips 2.1 DVD player. Currently I have connected the TataSky HD to TV via HDMI cable.

This forum has been very helpful in understanding the technology and few products, which also created a greed to go hi-fi ! My general usage is not that great, want to stick within reasonable budget. Im looking to buy a decent 3D BR HTiB with 5.1 speakers.

while reading, I got inclined towards the setup consisting of an AVR, BR Player, speakers - trust, some of these terminologies are newer to me!

Last week, one of my friend purchased Sony DAV-DZ340K (DVD with 5.1) at 16.5K at Vijay Sales, at this time I also was accompanying for my study and accidentally had a chance to observe Yamaha 196 @ 20K.

This week, I would be traveling to Malacca in Malaysia (~150KM off KL) and want a check, whether buying from there is viable. I wont have much time to hunt around, but I guess local store or KL-IA duty-free store may serve the purpose ? If the price gap is big than India, then I can think of buying, sacrificing local warranty, but pickup a higher model. Total Budget = 20-25K.

In that case, to my mind, I have Yamaha 196/296 AVR with 5.1.
For the 3D Blu-Ray player, I havnt studies this subject much, pl guide.

Im even open to the typical integrated systems. But I heard that once the head unit (player) of such fails, then everything goes on toss.
Even the tower and book-shelves wont fit in my room, and need small size speakers which could be hooked on wall corners.

What Im looking is for a Dolby/DTS sound in my hall, with decent amplification, compatible with my HD STB and DVDs. In the BDP I expect to do bit future proofing by adding 3D function, as looking at the current rates of disc, Im better off buying DVD and upscaling.

please give your feedback on above. If not in favor, then I can postpone and re-open the case for India buy.

thanks in advance,
Pranav

Last edited:
If you have a Total Budget = 20-25K then go for Onkyo HTS 3400 or 3500.
And buy it from India, in this festive season you are sure to get a good bargain (may be a free BD player). If you buy it from abroad check if the warranty is valid in India.

Here is a review of Yamaha Yamaha YHT-196 Review

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back