Restoration of an alnico magnet vintage 8 incher fullrange

SIDEWINDER18X

Hi friends,
Recently I came across a pair of alnico magnet 8" /10W full range. It was a 1958 Mitsubishi PW-203B pulled out from a tube radio. Not been used for years, shinning like glittering gold in mint condition. Due to aging the paper edge surround had become brittle and was falling off from all directions. Original cone was out of the question. An air dried non pressed ultra light parabolic shaped deep dish shaped cone with paper edge surround, screen dust dome, flat progressive roll spider and a 2 layer round aluminium wire coil on a kraft paper former. I had to keep everything intact and do the restoration job to revive this precious gem. After giving it a deep thought and carefully planning the job took me only 1/2 hour to the successful completion of these beauties.
My patience was running out to hear these babies. No doubt that these sounded beyond my expectations. Shockingly I had never heard anything of that size sounding so brilliant.
Tonal quality and bandwidth and impulse behavior was remarkable, sparkling and full of life.
These drives are a rare find. Sadly 10W drivers build to the ultimate quality are less seen nowadays. I had attached few images here. You can see the before and after pics here. Rest you can visit facebook page. .. "Hunter Audio Loudspeaker Reconers" to see more.
Vivek

Last edited:
Some European & American soft parts that I still have presently for 8" Full-Range.
Although I previously had many more variety in the same size and above. I mean for most of the prestigious brands. Getting them back is not that difficult again. :)
Vivek

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back