Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

I am amazed that EER of 11 AC are available in US of brand GE... Google AC of EeR.. In what stone age are we..wasting so much electricity..

Put 2 metal pigeon mesh type grills overlapping around the part. Should make holes small for Squirrels. You can easily get in gardening / hardware stores.

Did that, but the squirrels gnawed their way back in. See pic.

986c4e6d04cda4472b0ed151ded5e5d3.jpg

Sharp Woes...

Been waiting for weeks now for a replacement indoor-unit fan motor. We can manage to get hold of the support company and they apologise profusely and say, sorry, they cannot get the part.

I think Sharp burst onto this market with a fanfare, and is now abandoning us without even a whimper.

More the bells & whistles, the greater probability one is left high and dry when the chips are down even by a whisker! This is the unfortunate truth in 'our' environment ... bad quality power, climate extremes, DUST ... they are the major killers for sophisticated electronics.

Numerous hits & trials have proven to me that settling for a simple on-off machine of the RIGHT capacity should serve its optimum utilization. RIGHT here stands for 'settling for slightly below the required/calculated peak' cooling load requirement. Difficult to reason with most here. Their understanding of AC is simple. The machine is needed to chill !!! My perception is different here, it should be able to take out the heat and keep on maintaining the 'mild' deemed necessary for comfort.

Idea here is simple. The compressor needs to operate continuously as long as the machine is switched-on. Have noticed an elongated compressor on-off only during nights, with daytime operations as continuous. 11 years on the trot with a 1 TR split AC, still going strong. Only one component changed in this period, the compressor condenser. The AC retailer had strongly pitched for a 1.5 TR for the room. Good, I had not complied.

I am sorry to differ on the initial impression this thread tried to project on inverter AC especially Sharp Inverter AC. Last year I bought a Sharp inverter AC (1.1T), also influenced a relative to buy Sharp Inverter AC (1.5T) moved by this thread. In a nutshell I can confirm that it is just a myth to buy a Inverter AC to save money on power bills especially if you live in tropical or subtropical region. In 2016, there are some 5 star conventional ACs available which can match 90% to 95% billing criteria of an Inverter AC at half to 2/3rd price of the same.

For example, I live in Kolkata and out of 12 months I need to run AC at least 7 months. At 36 to 43 degree Celsius and high humid condition AC will run at pick power for most of the time, so what the use of inverter AC when you can not run it at lower gear like 60% or 80% power rating.

For Bangalore, the scenario may be different, but for Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi inverter AC is just having unnecessary criteria which not going to cool down your room enough if you run it at 60% power rating.

Now I am coming to the current (or power) my 1.1 T Sharp Inverter AC generally consumes. At initial point from start point to 30/35 minutes it take 8.4A to cool down the room and after that it come down to 6.1 A which will continue to consume unless you select auto or green mode. At auto mode and green mode it will come down to 4.8A to 3.6A depending on requirement and selection. If you live as single soul then 3.6A might (big question there) meet the requirement for few occasional mild summer. To my experience 60% power rating (3.6A) is totally useless for Kolkata. But 80% (4.8A) is quite useful when after a hour of running at pick (6.1A) your room is cold enough and as you just have to hold the current temperature.

If any one want to see I can share the picture of label of my outdoor unit (1.1T AH XP13PMT) where it is clearly marked as - Maximum Current 9 Amp, running current 6.1A (Also measured the current myself). Now if I ignore the initial 8.4 Amp for 30 minutes then also the 6.1 Amp is too high for 1.1 Ton AC with Cooling Capacity like 3700 W. As you can get a Godrej or several other branded 1.5 Ton 5 star ACs which which will consume 6.1 to 6.5 Amp with cooling capacity 5000 W to 5400 W.

So basically at optimum summer or condition you are running a 1.1 ton AC which consumes almost same power (1410 W) like 1.5 Ton 5 star AC. Now if you count the 80% power rating (4.8A) capability then also there is Hitachi 1.2 Ton (which I bought recently) have cooling capacity 4050 W and consumes just 4.8 Amp. So sharp is clearly inferior with 3700 w cooling capacity with 4.8A current consumption.

Basically when you are buying an inverter AC then you are getting an AC which have varying capacity (like 1.1 ton can behave like 0.75 ton). If situation demands you can run it at lower power. But most of the time in Indian summer it is an unnecessary criteria which will cost you 10 to 25 thousand extra in name of high tech gimmick.

Last edited:
I run my Sharp 1.1 Split Inverter AC for approx 16-18 hours a day.

So to enable it to run efficiently (good cooling and lower power consumption) it's very important to keep the condenser in the outdoor unit, as clean as possible.

Due to heavy duty usage it collects lot of dust/ feathers etc. I end up cleaning (washing with jet spray hose) once in 2-3 weeks. I have kept the top lid unscrewed. So I just pull it out, cover the electrical portion by taping some plastic, and then start spraying the condenser, initially from inside out, then all around from outside, fan, casing etc.

Cheers!

I faced no issue with it's cooling, but savings on electricity bill is not great as it was projected.

Last edited:
i have no issues with the cooling; I don't really bother to add up the electricity --- but my problem is still not fixed, after weeks.

Customer service? None. Don't buy Sharp AC

(repeating myself for the sake of google ;) )

Due to heavy duty usage it collects lot of dust/ feathers etc. I end up cleaning (washing with jet spray hose) once in 2-3 weeks. I have kept the top lid unscrewed. So I just pull it out, cover the electrical portion by taping some plastic, and then start spraying the condenser, initially from inside out, then all around from outside, fan, casing etc.

Cheers!

Thanks.

Next time when you wash it, please click and share the pictures of what all you need to cover after removing the cover.

i have no issues with the cooling; I don't really bother to add up the electricity --- but my problem is still not fixed, after weeks.

Add another two.

We get cow-dung speak from customer service, but the engineers are frank with us. They tell us they have fifty customers awaiting spares, and hey, at least our machine works.

Customer service? None. Don't buy Sharp AC

(repeating myself for the sake of google ;) )

I want to share some points regarding inverter AC (especially SHARP) which I experienced through out last two years. It may influence your buying decision about Inverter AC or Traditional AC.

Last year on 29th April (2016) I have shared my experience and opinion on Inverter AC at this very thread. So this is an additional post to that original one.

If any one really care for saving Electricity Bills, then it might be handy else you can ignore this post. Please remember my measurements is applicable only for 1.1 T Sharp Inverter AC, 130 sq.feet room and my Geographical location (Kolkata) throughout the summer.

In Sharp Inverter AC, there is DRY mode or De-humidification mode. Run the AC on that mode, after 5/10 minutes AC will automatically SET itself to 5 to 6 degree lower to normal ambience temperature or between 27 to 29 degree. You can manually vary that auto temperature up to +/- 2 degree. At this mode AC (1.1T Sharp Inverter)) will run just consuming only 1.5A to 3A of current.

Room will be dry enough to feel comfortable and felt temperature almost like Ground Floor of an old building which used to have brick wall 20" to 30" or more. Just a ceiling fan or similar one along the AC will make the room just perfectly comfortable. A fan generally draws only 0.3/0.4A current. So roughly just 1.8A to 3.3A of current (400 Watts to 700 Watts of power) will keep your room pleasant.

I found this is the most economical way to enjoy Inverter AC.

Last edited:
am user of sharp inverter model ac

Am sufferer of Sharp Inverter AC.

Latest thing was shutting down with 6-0 error, which seems to mean DC-current error.

The symptom has cleared itself. For now. Our local-street mechanic mended leaks, filled gas, and fixed a noisy Indoor-unit motor. But he says he will not take on inverter ACs: he is not able to deal with the electronics.

The sad thing is that, when it works, it is fantastic! I can truly say (again?) that, even without blind testing, :eek:hyeah: it is a night and day difference in comfort. Consistent temperature and humidity.

Despite awful experience with this one brand, I can say (again, again?) that I will stick with inverter-AC in the future, at least for the bedroom.

No ups or down like traditional AC, maintaining consistent temperature or conditioning all along the time is the best feature which I also like about inverter AC. I fully agree.

Last year had opted for two Daikin 0.75 TR inverter heat pumps (hot-cold model) for 15 x 11 rooms on the ground floor, as a replacement for equal numbers of 1 TR Electrolux standard ACs having done continuous service for more than 8 years.

Frankly, have not tried out the numerous setting combinations, since was more than satisfied with typing 24 deg C on the remote and letting the AC decide as to which mode it wants to play. It's pure 'climate control' with virtually no sound and literally half the electricity bills!!! Need I say more?

Had bought from the Daikin service dealer, with all warranties. Yes, THIS model is a 'Made in Thailand' one ... FTXS25, using R410 refrigerant. The other imported model is the FTYN series, which is the standard hot-cold version, again using 410. This one is from Malaysia.

If budget is not a big issue, FTXS series should be the very best in split air-conditioning available in India.

The dealer had agreed with my contention that if a 1 TR standard AC could easily cater to a 165 sq. ft. room, then a 0.75 TR inverter would be more than apt for it too. I was proven right ! The FTXS25 had set me back by 40K + 2K as installation charges.

Hey Everyone, messaging in this thread after a decade :). My 1 ton Sharp ac which I purchased in Dec 2013 after following Rishi’s advice is still working and giving me great service and savings.

I have a Mitsubishi Electric Mr. Slim 1.5T model which needs to be replaced as the compressors conked off.

Need advise on which current brand and model I should look into. I’m leaning towards Diakin and Mitsubishi Heavy Inds, Inverter Ac’s.

TIA

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back