Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

Today I browsed the Sharp India website (Sharp India) and found it to be a complete mess. Even messier than it was some 2.5 years back when I bought their inverter ACs. Most of the data seems wrong and I am not certain they update the site for newer models and even the images shown against the AC models are right. Back then I use to refer the Sharp Malaysia website (Sharp Malaysia) as they also imported from their Sharp Thailand AC plant like Sharp India. In the Malaysian website I can still find the older inverter AC models that used to come to India like 13NRV, 18MV, 24MV etc.

A colleague of mine for the last few days where asking to help him out for a 1.5 Ton inverter AC, but frankly being aloof for more than 2 years from the Indian AC market scenario and availability of models I need assistance and guidance from the forum members. I find in their Malaysian website Sharp has launched a new 1.5 Ton Inverter model, namely AH-XP18SHV which replaces the AH-XP18MV. Is the new model 18SHV available in India? If yes can anybody quote the price.

Few images of 18SHV to identify if anybody visually seen them in showrooms:

Sharp AH-XP18SHV

18_24_SHV_1.jpg

18_24_SHV_2.jpg

18_SHV_3.jpg

18_24_SHV_4.jpg

I have gone through its brochure of AH-XP18SHV and found following wrt to older 18MV:

Identical

1) Newer 18SHV model (2015) retains the same rated efficiency of older 18MV (2011) of 3.66 EER. Even though this figure of 3.66 nearly qualifies for a 2017 to be released 5 star AC model in India, I believe they should have atleast gunned for an EER of 3.8 this time, since these are premium products. Not happy as no real development work was done for the last four years where it really matters i.e efficiency.

2) Cooling capacity range still remains 5,400 - 18,000 - 20,500 BTU/Hr [Min-Rated-Max] as 18MV. I would have preferred this time to go down to 3000 BTU/Hr as minimum cooling capacity for even higher overall operating efficiency.

Advantages

1) Newer 18SHV model can increase/decrease indoor temperature in steps of 0.5 degrees. This is a step up as it provides an even finer control over 18MV which have steps of 1 degrees.

2) Auto vertical as well as horizontal swinging louvres for better ease of control of airflow via remote. 18MV had manual horizontal louvre.

3) Lock on Sensor that detects the location of the remote control and automatically guides cool air to that direction.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sharp has started manufacture in India. So don't depend on Malaysian site as the specs are not valid
I recently purchased a 2 Ton Inverter AC 24 K - AH-XP24SHT.

My observations:

a) Its a smaller lighter unit compared to the earlier ones.
b) The noise levels are definitely higher then advertised.
c) Is unable to control the room temperature correctly.When I set the AC for 26 deg I observe the room temperature on the opposite side to be 24 deg
d) And my biggest irritant is the absence of intelligent sleep mode. So the temperature of the room keeps dropping from 26 deg to 24 deg as the night progresses. Where as our biological sleep rhythm needs the exact opposite.
Other brands of ACs have a sleep mode which increase the room temperature as the night progresses.

My hall size is 280 sqft and I am planning to purchase 18PHT Sharp. But in chennai very few shops are selling sharp so I am worried about their service part. Because of my hall size and the 1.9 T capacity it gives on the full load as per the reveiws available in the net I choose model.

But today I went to Rathna Fan House, but they are not selling Sharp. I went to LG and one of the sales guy recommended me this model

LG BSA18IBE 1.5T Inverter V Split Air Conditioner | LG India

1.5T Invertor and he said it will cool up to 280 Sqft. I never told him my hall size. I just asked about the starting and maximum load amps and cooling area.

I am missing the Air purifier and the filters of 18PHT Sharp model, but again I am worried about their operations in chennai and the service support.

Any suggestion friends? TIA.

Try NOT to procure 'plasmacluster' air purifier models offered in many hi-end ACs. They generate OZONE which provides for a 'fresh effect' as it definitely weeds out odours by ozone oxidation. But, ozone as such is extremely detrimental for our respiratory track. Read up on Google about ozone.

However, none of the AC manufacturers admit to the generation of this gas from their 'plasmacluster' models.

In continuation of my earlier post in this thread where I mentioned how Sharp India has reduced the size of the units / Coils and increased air flow rates leading to higher noise levels.

Here is another example of how bad Sharp's design department is:

The 2 Tonne AC has an auto setting in which the AC picks up the set temperature automatically and we have an option of changing it by + or - 2 deg.
Yesterday I discovered that the Auto setting temp picked up by the AC is dependent on the room temp. So here is what happens to me in the night.

Switch on the AC and the Auto is set at 26 deg. So after running for 2 to 3 hours if there is a power failure the AC picks up a new set point when it resumes based on the cooler room temp and it sets the temp to 24 deg. Note: The memory lock does not work in Auto setting.
So as the night progresses the AC set temp actually goes down in cases of power failure and resumption.
I can not imagine how much more stupid the designers can become at Sharp. I am still learning newer aspects of my New Sharp AC for which I paid a premium pricing

My hall size is 280 sqft and I am planning to purchase 18PHT Sharp. But in chennai very few shops are selling sharp so I am worried about their service part. Because of my hall size and the 1.9 T capacity it gives on the full load as per the reveiws available in the net I choose model.

But today I went to Rathna Fan House, but they are not selling Sharp. I went to LG and one of the sales guy recommended me this model

LG BSA18IBE 1.5T Inverter V Split Air Conditioner | LG India

1.5T Invertor and he said it will cool up to 280 Sqft. I never told him my hall size. I just asked about the starting and maximum load amps and cooling area.

I am missing the Air purifier and the filters of 18PHT Sharp model, but again I am worried about their operations in chennai and the service support.

Any suggestion friends? TIA.

Finally purchased 18PHT 1.5T for my 14*20, 280sqft hall. 100 deg chennai weather today. Set temp of 26deg reached in flat 30 minutes. Super silent and excellent cooling. Installation delayed by sharp but done professionally.

So, its true that this machine cools bigger halls and still saves power bills. Thanks for the detailed reveiew of this product. I still missed the MV model. But I am satisfied with this PHT.

Hi Experts,

I am planning to buy a 1.5 Ton inverter AC for my room and considering following models:

a. Sharp 1.5 Ton AH-XP18PHT
b. Sharp 1.5 Ton AH-X18PET
c. Hitachi Kashikoi 200i
d. Trane TSI18DS

I have couple of questions which will help me take a decision and would request the experts to share your opinion:

1. What is the difference between AH-XP18PHT and AH-X18PET? Is it only Plasma filter or something else as well ?
2. How is Hitachi's Kashikoi Inverter model from performance and quality perspective (leaving aside the pricing)
3. Does anybody has experience with Trane AC? I have heard its a very good machine but not marketed much in India.
4. I am getting following prices for these models (only AC price):
a. Sharp 1.5 Ton AH-XP18PHT - 45K
b. Sharp 1.5 Ton AH-X18PET - 41K
c. Hitachi Kashikoi 200i - 49K
d. Trane TSI18DS - 45K

I intend to keep AC for 8-10 years so I am fine spending couple of thousands extra if I am getting better quality and durability (copper vs aluminum debate).

Please advise which one makes more sense to buy?

Thanks!

Stop for a moment, before buying an inverter ACs: The DC conversion board has frequent break outs due to voltage fluctations, hence more cost of maintenance, as obtained info from various service engs/dealers.

I have just compared a 3 Star Vs Inverter AC model of a Daikin and the cost of saving.
Ref: https://www.bijlibachao.com/air-con...-and-inverter-technology-air-conditioner.html

A 3Star AC has rating of 1.6KW and 3.25 EER
A inverter AC has rating of 1.45 KW and 3.6 EER.

Inverter has 30% power saved when comparing to 3 Star.

For e.g in a EB - Bill Cycle - 60 days ( TN )
3Star 60 days X 1.6 X 6 Hours ( Actual Compressor Running Time is 6 hrs out of 8 hrs usage )= 580 units
Inverter AC would have consumed 30% less = 400 Units

Reg Savings:
180 * 6.5 = Rs.1200 ( TN ) saved
If one uses AC, for a 3 billing cycles of a year..i.e 6 months of summer/warm seasons, it saves 3600 and so 12K cost difference will be compensated in 3.5 years considering no PCB breakage happens in the inverter. If any expenses incurred then it will toll us an another 3 yrs or so to compensate.

Leave your experience on the maintenance of inverter model, here...

Stop for a moment, before buying an inverter ACs: The DC conversion board has frequent break outs due to voltage fluctations, hence more cost of maintenance, as obtained info from various service engs/dealers.

I have just compared a 3 Star Vs Inverter AC model of a Daikin and the cost of saving.
Ref: https://www.bijlibachao.com/air-con...-and-inverter-technology-air-conditioner.html

A 3Star AC has rating of 1.6KW and 3.25 EER
A inverter AC has rating of 1.45 KW and 3.6 EER.

Inverter has 30% power saved when comparing to 3 Star.

For e.g in a EB - Bill Cycle - 60 days ( TN )
3Star 60 days X 1.6 X 6 Hours ( Actual Compressor Running Time is 6 hrs out of 8 hrs usage )= 580 units
Inverter AC would have consumed 30% less = 400 Units

Reg Savings:
180 * 6.5 = Rs.1200 ( TN ) saved
If one uses AC, for a 3 billing cycles of a year..i.e 6 months of summer/warm seasons, it saves 3600 and so 12K cost difference will be compensated in 3.5 years considering no PCB breakage happens in the inverter. If any expenses incurred then it will toll us an another 3 yrs or so to compensate.

Leave your experience on the maintenance of inverter model, here...

Is the AH-XP13PHT IS Copper condenser.I want to buy that .final quote 36500 excluding stabilizer and installation in chennai.please reply Asap.

Is the ah-xp13pht has copper condenser.final quote 36500 excluding installation and stabilizer in chennai.please reply Asap.......

guys any update on best prices for Sharp 1.1. ton ? i bought a sharp 2 years back and its been the best purchase i have ever made.

is there a better AC available than Sharp these days ?
i have sharp in my master bedroom and planning to get ac for another room this week.

guys any update on best prices for Sharp 1.1. ton ? i bought a sharp 2 years back and its been the best purchase i have ever made.

is there a better AC available than Sharp these days ?
i have sharp in my master bedroom and planning to get ac for another room this week.
Sharp India's operation is in doldrums. Glad to hear that your Sharp AC is working without giving you any trouble. Sharp was the leading brand which developed and introduced inverter ACs in India, but people who faced trouble, even within warranty period, found it very difficult to get service and support from company. If your budget is not a problem, you can choose amongst Daikin, Mitsubishi, OGeneral.

Is that really the case ?? I was unaware of the fact of such a scenario.

If I am getting daikin for same price same as sharp do I go ahead ??

Specs wise daikin seems to have more cooling power and sharp is a bit energy efficiency...

Sharp India's operation is in doldrums. Glad to hear that your Sharp AC is working without giving you any trouble. Sharp was the leading brand which developed and introduced inverter ACs in India, but people who faced trouble, even within warranty period, found it very difficult to get service and support from company. If your budget is not a problem, you can choose amongst Daikin, Mitsubishi, OGeneral.

Is that really the case ??

yes yes yes :sad:

Sharp burst on the scene with very decent prices for what appeared to be good machines from a company that some of us had known and trusted for years. One of their advertising promises was good customer service with fast response.

I bought a Sharp AC with enthusiasm. I posted about it on the internet (here? I don't know) with enthusiasm --- but a year later I am no longer enthusiastic.

It's been a bit more than a year: the machine is now out of warranty and under AMC.

Within the warranty period, the internal unit started to make a continuous noise whenever the fan motor was on anything but high speed. This did away with the advantage of auto speed: slow fan with almost zero noise for most of the time. The fault puzzled the engineers,, who then replaced the indoor fan motor. This was towards the end of the warranty period. Less than three months later, the same fault has re-occurred, and the engineers say they must replace the motor again.

• AMC: motor replacement no problem. Except it is a problem because they don't have them, and have to import them, and this is taking weeks.
  • They say that fault is caused by voltage variation. I have to dig out the brochure, but I seem to remember that another selling point of these inverter systems was/is that they operate happily on a wide range of voltages. And anyway, EB seem to have fixed our local supply a couple of years back: we get cuts, but voltage is pretty constant.

By the way, experience from flood: if you need a new Sharp remote control it will cost you Rs.2,500.

If I have encouraged people to buy Sharp AC in the past, I'm sorry. Now I say, do not buy Sharp AC, because they are unreliable and won't get good customer service.

By the way: the front-line service guys seem good, but they are obviously not getting parts/support from Sharp itself.

My next AC will not be Sharp.

It may be Dailkin, but another make I want to try is Panasonic. We asked the sound/electrics/maintenance guy at a sabha I attend regularly about their AC machines, and he told us that, of the ones bought in recent years, the make that has given zero problems is Panasonic.

Bought a sharp inverter AC after discussion in this forum. Had a unique problem. Squirrels would bite thru the fibre glass mesh and settle inside, happened thrice, Sharp service said it was outside their purview, nothing they could do. Also have LG ACs, nary a problem in the past 10 years with them, squirrels can't get in, different material!

Bought a sharp inverter AC after discussion in this forum. Had a unique problem. Squirrels would bite thru the fibre glass mesh and settle inside, happened thrice, Sharp service said it was outside their purview, nothing they could do. Also have LG ACs, nary a problem in the past 10 years with them, squirrels can't get in, different material!
Put 2 metal pigeon mesh type grills overlapping around the part. Should make holes small for Squirrels. You can easily get in gardening / hardware stores.

wow.. so sharp is out of the picture then....

well my sharp has been going strong for now for 2 years. running almost 10 hours a day for 9 months in a year.

i have a LG standard 1.5 ton split in Hall which is doing well after 5 years
Sharp in master bedroom 1.1 T.

so now for the HT/second bedroom i would need to decide between panasonic and daikin. i will check out panasonic also. seems like a good option. thank you guys.

back to forum after an year :) feels good.

Bought a sharp inverter AC after discussion in this forum. Had a unique problem. Squirrels would bite thru the fibre glass mesh ...

I am not certain Sharp can be blamed for that one!

wow.. so sharp is out of the picture then....

well my sharp has been going strong for now for 2 years. running almost 10 hours a day for 9 months in a year.

Mileage obviously does vary. On your experience, they are not out of the picture; on mine they are. With the squirrels as tie breaker :lol: !

Really, I am most disappointed with Sharp. I am certainly a fan of the inverter AC system, with its very-noticeably more even temperature, humidity, and noise levels. The Samsung I am listening to right now is churning out as much noise (and does so on every speed), but it is seven years old. At least.

hunting for panasonic and daikin now. Panasonic preferred.

let me try the devil that i haven't tried before :)
already have 2 o generals in other house but too expensive .

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back