Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

@ sanjub - you are comparing the capabilities of a 2T machine with a 1.25T one! Was it for the same or similar sized/positioned room? Many parameters have to be 'factored' in, no?

Other than that, I do not understand something what many point out here ie. 'faster cooling'. Technically, it would hold good if the compressor is of higher capacity. It is only then one can get faster cooling. Is faster cooling 'that' important? Higher capacity compressor translates to higher power consumption and higher buy cost. Yes, if the machine is inverter-type, then running cost might not be compromised by that much, but IF, the room demands a bigger machine then a smaller one would take its own time to get the optimum expected. Once desired conditions are attained, then the AC's role is to maintain the conditions without letting the compressor running on-off. This is where energy consumption gets drastically reduced.

Disclaimer : My own research ..

First - Most of the ac brands use various compressors from other brands than their own . Eg. panasonic uses samsung , highly compressors . LG uses GMCC ,Bluestar uses SIAM compressors .Whirlpool uses Panasonic , Highly compressors . General uses tecumseh compressors as well .This is just limited research on my part . Most of the companies use whatever compressor is avaliable . A link regarding replacement of compressor for videocon ac .
http://www.vgportal.in/webcms/SVC bulletin SAMSUNG COMP REPLACE BY PH 290 GMCC.PDF

Second point - I have seen many know-all types on various forums , especially Team-BHP likes recommend 5 star rated ones or inverter rated ones . Just because an AC is rated 5 star energy efficient it does not mean it is a good one .. sometimes the opposite might be true . The reason being a compressor is basically an electric motor and for the motor to draw lower current either the windings have to be thinner or the motor must be rated at 220v and not 230v mains . If the motor achieves peak operation at 220v it becomes more efficient . To illustrate the point let me point out a link to samsung compressor specs

Samsung makes 2 types of compressors for R22 refrigerant rated at 50HZ .

50Hz, 1?, 220V | Samsung Business
50Hz, 1?, 220-240V | Samsung Business

In both the pages if you look for UR8B180DU & UR8B180JH you will be surprised that the 220v rated one consumes less power and the wide operating voltage tropical compressor rated at 220-240v consumes more power for the same piston displacement .

Personally I would recommend avoiding any ac with samsung compressor because the windings are aluminium and not copper . I know this because the scrap merchants avoid samsung because of the aluminium windings .

Reason why most of the established brands have 2 star and 1 star rating for their AC is because the compressor is made heavier and is more fail proof than their 5 star counterparts . Laws of physics cannot be changed . The 5 star rated ac will have a lower power consuming compressor more prone to failures .

Third - Walk into an ac retailing shop and you will find that the marketing guys will tell you about copper condensor and evaporator coils . This is especially true for Onida ac . The point that most of them miss is the thickness of the tubing wall inside the condensor or evaporator coil . The thinner the tube the more it is prone to puncture . A car condensor or evaporator coil is made of aluminium alloy and yet it can run for years in a harsher environment than in a home ac . Material does not matter .. implementation matters a lot .

lastly , inverter ac unless it is meant for 24/7 running like an ATM booth or an office does not warrant the higher initial expenditure . An inverter ac runs continuously and a non-inverter runs at intervals . So a continuous power draw of 200-300w vs 1700w for a non-inverter equalises it all .. The energy required to convert heat to cold or cold to heat remains almost the same . Physics ..

Too much info on ACs in this Forum. Seek it. Yes, one would need patience for that, but it would be worth it.

There is a dealer in Pune who is really pushing Sharp Air Conditioners over all others. Offering great sounding discounts. Sharp is apparently quoting Rs3/hour of operating cost for the 1.1T Inverter AC!

I have had good experience with LG Window air conditioners in the past. Both of them were bought over 10 years ago. Now I need two more Split-ACs, and from what I can see at this point - Sharp is looking like a good deal.

The only thing stopping me from buying them is the lack of information (history) of Sharp ACs.

1. How well do they age?
2. What kind of maintenance issues/hassles can I expect?

Thanks!

PS: Long term reliability is something that I am definitely looking for. If that needs me to spend more today, so be it.

Too much info on ACs in this Forum. Seek it. Yes, one would need patience for that, but it would be worth it.

At least my knowledge is not limited to this forum , but real experience going through datasheets of various compressor manufacturers , dealers ,contractors of HVAC systems and my personal interest .

You are not helping anyone with not justifying the mistakes in my post .

There is a dealer in Pune who is really pushing Sharp Air Conditioners over all others. Offering great sounding discounts. Sharp is apparently quoting Rs3/hour of operating cost for the 1.1T Inverter AC!

I have had good experience with LG Window air conditioners in the past. Both of them were bought over 10 years ago. Now I need two more Split-ACs, and from what I can see at this point - Sharp is looking like a good deal.

The only thing stopping me from buying them is the lack of information (history) of Sharp ACs.

1. How well do they age?
2. What kind of maintenance issues/hassles can I expect?

Thanks!

PS: Long term reliability is something that I am definitely looking for. If that needs me to spend more today, so be it.

According to my research , service and spares are an issue with sharp ac .
The inverter board costs a bomb .. and the warranty on the boards are limited to 1 year .

I am not sure if Sharp inverter ac are suitable for tropical climates . In the middle east there is a certification for selling ac .

Link to sharp middle east site Air-conditioner - Sharp

The Indian models are not listed in middle east . So you can assume the Indian sold SHARP is useless .

The Indian models are not listed in middle east . So you can assume the Indian sold SHARP is useless .

You get WHAT you pay, no?

Yes, the initial Sharp models (imported ones from Thailand) were excellent. Same story with washing machines too. My fully automatic Videocon washing machine (rebranded National set) procured way back during mid 80s lasted for close to 20 years without even a single service! The subsequent ones just about managed 7-8 years with plethora of issues.

You get WHAT you pay, no?

Yes, the initial Sharp models (imported ones from Thailand) were excellent. Same story with washing machines too. My fully automatic Videocon washing machine (rebranded National set) procured way back during mid 80s lasted for close to 20 years without even a single service! The subsequent ones just about managed 7-8 years with plethora of issues.
OK, in that case, I'll avoid Sharp. Thanks for the heads up!

My original choice was Daikin / Blue Star. But now I'm thinking that I should give LG a look as well.

Any suggestions for Inverter ACs that I should be focusing on?

Details
Pune, 7th floor (total 12), Window facing east.
Rooms: 14x11 & 10x11

14 x 11 - 1 TR
10 x 11 - 0.75 TR

For selection of AC type, running hours is the key. If upwards of 6 hours daily (on each), inverter one makes real sense since close to 50% power savings.

Seek feedback from local AC technicians. But it is true, if anything goes wrong with the inverter board, it would need a replacement and it is bound to cost a bomb. Leaving aside it's cost, it's off-the-shelf availability would pose a challenge. This is what differentiates a caring company from the rest. Though, inverter board failures are very rare nowadays, but who knows?

Minimum AC life is @ 10 years, so, buy models using 410 refrigerant. AND, nothing goes wrong with a rotary compressor if voltage is stabilized. Capacitor (feeding the compressor motor) failures are reported aplenty, but that is easy to rectify @ < 500 bucks with parts & labour.

Very hi-end ACs - Mitsubishi Electric, Mitsubishi Heavy, Toshiba, some Hitachi & Daikin models and obviously imported Sharp.

New players - Midea (Chinese, but very good), Trane

Thanks!

Running hours for both ACs are going to be 6 hours a day for about 6 months. I am still inclined towards inverter compressor, just because its where the technology is headed.
Because the repair/parts are going to be costly for an Inverter based system, I am looking at options that give me reliability through the years, without burning a hole through my pockets.

Daikin - its costlier to get it installed as I'll have to pay for the installation kit (pipes, brackets etc). But from what I am hearing it should give me the peace of mind that I want.

A Pune based dealer is quoting Rs 42k for Daikin 1T Inverter AC
+ Installation Kit
+ Labor
+ Drilling

If most of you thought Daikin was just manufacturing ac , they also manufacture WMD ( weapons of mass destruction) . Even if Daikin was the best ac manufacturer in the world I still would not buy it .

Bluestar uses Mitsubishi compressor . Their 1.5 ton models use RHT313VADT series of mitsubishi compressors . Midea is also a brand owned by carrier and they use compressors from Welcome to CarrierAirConditions .

According to the dealers Trane is good quality ac .. but I am not sure if their compressors are tropical or can withstand 220-240v .

How are your options for window ac ? window ac are low maintenence , low cost and have similar cooling characteristics compared to a split . In order to increase the efficiency of the indoor and outdoor unit , the evaporator and condensor coils and fins are made more lighter so as to accomodate more no. of fins per sq. inch . sometimes the fins are made in such a way as to create more surface area for the hot air to travel through to cool faster . This results is dirt getting stuck in between the fins and clogging the indoor unit . When the indoor unit gets clogged up the room does not cool enough and the ac cuts off as the evaporator coil goes below the preset temperature . So regular cleaning is very essential if you reside in a high dust environment . On the other hand a window ac has thicker fins and has more gap between the fins and window ac do not clog up dust so easily .

Last edited:
1. Do not know whether window ACs too are offered with inverter or not?

2. Personally rank window AC design to be superior to splits. Why? Because fresh air / exhaust slots can be inbuilt in this design. This is a very MAJOR plus for the informed!!! Just not possible in splits.

3. Fin clogging !!! Why should it in the first place, IF the intake filter is cleaned once every month ???

4. Try setting up the window AC at shoulder height (standing position) for better even cooling throughout the space.

If most of you thought Daikin was just manufacturing ac , they also manufacture WMD ( weapons of mass destruction) . Even if Daikin was the best ac manufacturer in the world I still would not buy it .

What brand of Split AC (Inverter Compressor) would you recommend?

1. Do not know whether window ACs too are offered with inverter or not?

2. Personally rank window AC design to be superior to splits. Why? Because fresh air / exhaust slots can be inbuilt in this design. This is a very MAJOR plus for the informed!!! Just not possible in splits.

3. Fin clogging !!! Why should it in the first place, IF the intake filter is cleaned once every month ???

4. Try setting up the window AC at shoulder height (standing position) for better even cooling throughout the space.

If the split ac is used at maximum airflow volumes , the filter gets clogged fast and since the filters used are not real tight fits , the dusty air gets to the fins through the side gaps . Areas with high humid levels make the dust particles stick to the fins and cleaning the fins is a nightmare .
Even after the fins are cleaned there is a high possibility of the dust settling down in the water channel and the indoor unit getting blocked and leaking water inside the room .

I clean the indoor units once every 15 days due to this . Sometimes , it happens that i tend to forget and then I do a water wash with a pressure cleaner at the lightest settings with the washer jet with a perpendicular angle with regard to the fins . Even a slight deviation to gets the fins bent .This is the best possible way to clean .. I have not yet tried the foam that they use in cars to clean the evaporators

What brand of Split AC (Inverter Compressor) would you recommend?

I bought an ac 2 weeks back . Even I was looking for a split inverter and ended up buying a window ac and that too the cheapest 1 star on the block for all the above reasons I typed in my previous posts .

If you just want to use the ac in the nights , then inverter is fine , as the outside temperature would be within 35-38C . If you plan to use the ac in the daytime as well , I suggest you forget about technology and go in for an ac with a tropical compressor rated at least 50 deg C outside temperature and a wide operating voltage range .

If you still need an inverter all the major manufacturers like LG ,Panasonic , Mitsubishi , Toshiba manufacture them . Which ever ac gives you the best warranty terms and is cheaper to own makes the most sense . Mitsubishi and LG seem to be better off with service infrastructure in my opinion .

Often not discussed subject is a scroll compressor . Emerson scroll compressors are as good as inverters , and they would definitely last a lifetime .
Efficiency of a scroll, inverter ,rotary depends on the application and a inverter might actually consume more power than a scroll or a rotary in some cases .
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=s...l+scroll+compressor+vs+inverter+power+saving+

You can safely assume most of the dealer talk with regard to power savings is akin to PMPO advertised on music systems .

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a 2 ton inverter AC to cool a bedroom in my house in Bangalore. It's a rather large room (~300 sqft with windows facing the west) but given that it's Bangalore and I mostly need it during the night for a few months during the year, I figure that a 2 ton inverter AC will be good enough.

I am torn between getting a Sharp or Daikin. Given the recent reports of the non-imported Sharp model not being as good as the imported one, I am not sure what to do. Are there other brands I should be looking into?

I need to buy one in the next couple of days, so I really appreciate any/all suggestions...

Just bought two 1.5 t Sharp Eco invertors @40k plus installation. Loving it. Super silent. Super low bills. Excellent cooling.

Now need another Ac in bedroom which would be used occasionaly. Upto how many hrs usage per day does it make sense to invest in inverter acs? If normal ac should i go for Daikin or sharp? How much diff in elecric bills would one have as compared to a 1 ton ac?

Posing it here as well as didn't get many repsoneses in the other thread for inverter AC. Seeing more activity here. I too have a sharp x18pet 1.5 ton inverter AC n this is the issue am facing.

By the way, doe sth compressor ever shut down compeltley in this sharp inverter model ?
I am asking this as I have felt that sometimes I feel little less cold n feel the temp rises after the temp coming down.
I don't know how to explain this, I am mostly setting the temp at 23-24 as of now with fan speed of 3 n use the air on ceiling swing option...don't know what its called.
After few minutes when the temp comes down I feel the air feels less colder the before n again it becomes cooler in a bit.
I thought it maintains the temp or am I missing something here or there is some malfunction with my AC or installation.
What do u think , should I call the sharp engineers n explain them this issue, my AC is brand new by the way.

I feel that since the temp in delhi is already quote low during late evenings and night n really hot summers have not set in yet, I feel setting the temp at 23/24 does cut off the compressor completely as the etemo inside might be going a bit lower then the set temp n the edofferenxe between outer n inner temp due to the pleasant weather is also causing the compressor to cut off for a tiny bit intermittently. I was going through an internaiotnal forum and read such quotes even for an inverter ACS . I am quoting it here few posts from that which kind of explain my issue as well.

"Inverters tend to go to the lowest possible speed, to remain in controll of the room.
Typically they may go one degree past the set point, and then if they are still about to overcool the room, they will switch off."

"Our Daikin inverters will shut the compressor down when inside temp drops too far below set temp, but the fan in the head continues to run. When temp rises the compressor will cut in.This will happen when there is not much variation between inside and outside temp."

I feel the 2nd point clearly explains the issue ei too am facing. Has anyone else here expereinceing the same with inverter ACS specifically sharp ?
Or I should get it checked ?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back