Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

The EERs mentioned for PET/PMT/PHT are a different standard - weighted EER. See foot note of their booklet. I think the weighted EER method gives a higher figure.

For Example see whirlpool spec for model Fanatasia Inverter 1.5 T

Fantasia Inverter(1.5 T) - Air Conditioner - Whirlpool India

EER ( W/W) / SEER 3.45/ 4.72

Not sure how much difference in EER is due to different standards for Sharp - but given the same technology and capacity the EER should be almost same

I just discovered shocking discovery of Sharp EER rating. What they are calculating is not actual EER but hypothetical Singapore weighted average EER. Only for LV0.8 model there EER is right. For rest all of the 1/1.5/2 ton models they are using Sigapore EER.
There actual EER is-

LV 0.8 - 3.81(2800/735) Here they are right
1 ton PET/PMT/PHT - 3.63(3670/1010) They are claiming 4.02
1.5 ton PET/PMT/PHT- 3.65 (5270/1440) They are claiming 4.41

As against for example Samsung is quoting actual EER of 3.52 for 1 ton inverter & 3.82 1.5 ton. Thus for example Samsung 1.5 ton is more efficient here.

So all please be beware if you are going purely by Sharp EER. Dont get fooled.

So Sharp 0.8 ton LV model is more efficient than 1 ton PET/PMT/PHT.

somya said:
I just discovered shocking discovery of Sharp EER rating. What they are calculating is not actual EER but hypothetical Singapore weighted average EER. Only for LV0.8 model there EER is right. For rest all of the 1/1.5/2 ton models they are using Sigapore EER.
There actual EER is-

LV 0.8 - 3.81(2800/735) Here they are right
1 ton PET/PMT/PHT - 3.63(3670/1010) They are claiming 4.02
1.5 ton PET/PMT/PHT- 3.65 (5270/1440) They are claiming 4.41

As against for example Samsung is quoting actual EER of 3.52 for 1 ton inverter & 3.82 1.5 ton. Thus for example Samsung 1.5 ton is more efficient here.

So all please be beware if you are going purely by Sharp EER. Dont get fooled.

Hmm... Sometimes these EER calculations are leading us into misinterpretations, just like the mileage claims by auto industry. Still, we don't question them; we just learn to live with them! :(

Yesterday, I called up the SHARP toll free number to find out about SHARP dealers here in Chennai. (Their website is lacking the contact numbers; provides only the address). This evening one Mr.Mushtaq (8754577341), an employee of SHARP called me up and informed me that their a/c-s are available with Vivek's and Vasanth & Co. After a little prodding and probing, he has given me the quotes.

1.1T 13PET: 37,000 less 10% = 37,000-3,700 = 33,300 + 1,000 (Inverter) + 1,500 (Installation) = 35,800
1.1T 13PHT: Add 4,000 less 10% = 35,800 + 3,600 = 39,400

1.5T 18PET: 51,000 less 10% = 51,000-5,100 = 45,900 + 2,500 (Inv & Inst) = 48,400
1.5T 18PHT: Add 4,000 less 10% = 48,400 + 3,600 = 52,000

Prices quoted by him are much better than the dealer's quotes which I had posted in the morning. (Dealer had quoted 42k for 1.1T PHT pkg & 54.5 for the 1.5T PHT pkg)
This gentleman is willing to be quoted here in this forum for any assistance our forum members might be in need of. So, for any other models or locations or for any other SHARP products, please get in touch with him directly. He doesn't mind to assist Pan-India clients. As this is the SHARP review thread, I thought this is the right place this info. should be.

Standard disclaimer 1: I have no association with this person or company except to share here what I know of. Hope this helps some one out there who wants to buy SHARP a/c-s
Standard disclaimer 2: We've (the family) skipped to procure SHARP a/c-s due to various reasons. Instead, have booked O-Gens (1.5 T & 1T one each) and have already received them today. Installation will be by tomorrow, hopefully!

Last edited:

Singapore Weighted Average is the average of energy consumption 40% of the time at Full Load and 60% of the time at Part Load with the assumption that this is what most Inverter ACs do. This is done as part of the Mandatory Labeling Scheme by National Environment Agency of Singapore Government. All newer models of Inverter ACs sold in Singapore must adhere to this labeling. The testing is done by NEA.

Because of the way Inverter ACs work, you cannot do a simple division to obtain EER/CoP.

The sSingapore weighted average might be a more logical way of rating for inverter technology air conditioners . But giving EERs based on different rating methods in the same booklet in the same row for different models is misleading.

Probably they shifted to the new rating method recently and applied it to only the newer models.

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Indoor Unit [IDU]: Sharp AH-XP13LV
Outdoor Unit [ODU]: Sharp AU-X13LV
Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.8 - 3.67 - 4.20)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (2,732 - 12,531 - 14,341)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.23 - 1.04 - 1.20)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.67 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1010 watts
Rated EER (W/W) 3.63
Max Outdoor Operating Temparature: 46 °C
Indoor Airflow Rate (CMM): 10.9
Plasmacluster Air Purifier: Available
Refrigerant Gas: R410A
IDU Weight: 9 kg
ODU Weight: 28.5 kg

Here I assume the power consumption will be 250w--1010w--1150w (assuming 35w for the indoor, and 1010w at rated 12531 BTU). The chart also shows that the LV can work upto a 1.2ton capacity.

I am unable to find similar chart for the PET model. Please help. The cooling capacity chart is not available anywhere on the net. The inverter acs have a variable cooling capacity so a variable EER.

The 4.02 EER seems to be the Max EER, assuming 1010w, max cooling 4.06kW (all reverse worked out). This works out to 4.16EER in the LV.

AM I CORRECT? I don't want to make a mistake.

Last edited:
Here I assume the power consumption will be 250w--1010w--1150w
The 4.02 EER seems to be the Max EER, assuming 1010w, max cooling 4.06kW (all reverse worked out). This works out to 4.16EER in the LV.

AM I CORRECT? I don't want to make a mistake.

The EER will not be same across all loads. EER will be lower for low loads and high loads compared to optimal design load which is one tonne design for this A/C. So assume higher power consumption's than above. Not sure by how much. How did you get the 4.02 EER and 4.06 KW figs? The compressor power consumption will vary with varying cooling loads ( Temperature differential - thereby gas pressure and the pumping load)

I have just taken a simplistic view since all data and especially data for PET is not available. The efficiency variation is not being taken into account.

Need the cooling capacity range of PET make the correct decision. For LV it is (2,732 - 12,531 - 14,341), the consumption is same at 1010 watts for both.

Since I am only comparing, the efficiency of the compressor is being considered at par.

Last edited:
The sSingapore weighted average might be a more logical way of rating for inverter technology air conditioners . But giving EERs based on different rating methods in the same booklet in the same row for different models is misleading.

Probably they shifted to the new rating method recently and applied it to only the newer models.

You are right, they should have benchmarked using the same method for all.

As mentioned earlier, the ratings for Inverter ACs are new and now mandatory for ACs sold in Singapore. Perhaps they are not selling certain models in Singapore any more. Surprisingly I don't see PET/PHT in the Singapore database.

More info is here -> How to Choose an Energy Efficient Air-conditioner?

Inverter AC ratings seem to be taking place only in Singapore and Australia AFAIK.

And without a common benchmark for all brands, it becomes difficult to do a direct comparison of models in the Inverter AC category.

Last edited:
The COP 4.01 is incorrect. The definition of COP is simply Cooling Output / Input Power (W/W). So all the Sharp 1.1T models from the brochure have identical specifications 3670/1010 = 3.63. Don't know how the 4.01 calculation was done for PET, PMT and PHT models. In fact if you notice, only 13LV consumes a lower running current of 4.8A whereas the rest take 7A. Definitely lower current consumption I would say.

I searched for XP13LV but was not available anywhere, not even online.

Although my heart still is on Sharp, I finally bought a Samsung AR12HV5NBWK 1T (2014 model) which comes with 10 year warranty on compressor. Apart from all the bells and whistles, its COP is 3200/910 = 3.52 and running current of 4.2A which is pretty good. I didn't buy into the triangle design too much.

Bought it at a small outlet called 18C near Okkiyam Thoraipakkam (near Dominos / CTS / Holy Smoke). The guy said although he believes in Sharp too, sourcing replacement parts in case of a repair is very difficult for Sharp and easiest for Samsung. I already trust Samsung and all my appliances at home are Samsung and never had a single issue so far with any of them.

Cost:

Total came to 43500 that includes:
1. Installation
2. Two meter copper pipe
3. Brackets
4. Triple boost stabilizer (Prime brand)

It's been about a week now and I have started liking it very much. The cooling is very quick and both indoor and outdoor units are very silent compared to normal ACs - for the first few days I kept going out to check if it's running at all even though it's cool inside. Since mine is a ground floor flat and no sunlight exposed walls, I guess I am getting better efficiency. I set it at 28C Cool mode with ceiling fan on, it's only consuming about 3 units for whole night (12+ hours).

I felt the remote could have had a backlit screen and also glow-in-the-dark buttons, but neither is a reason to bother - I hardly even need it except to switch it on/off. I already found the sweet-spot (28C with ceiling fan on) for uninterrupted sleep.

Going for an inverter model in itself is like a rebellion in my circle with the cost being 43K for 1 Ton. I had a bitter experience with a two star 1.5T AC we had at the previous rented house where I ran an 8K power bill in just one month last summer. That way, I can recover the extra 10K in less than two months.

Hopefully I don't run into any issues with this one.

Regards,
Uday

So is my stand vindicated? Is LV the right thing to go for over PET?

Can anyone tell me as to what the BTU or cooling capacity range is in the 1.1 ton 13PET model? (lowest--optimal--maximum)

Last edited:
So is my stand vindicated? Is LV the right thing to go for over PET?

Can anyone tell me as to what the BTU or cooling capacity range is in the 1.1 ton 13PET model? (lowest--optimal--maximum)

According to me, LV is more energy efficent than PET.
However LV model is 0.8 ton only.

So I suppose if your area is under 100 square feet then you should go for LV model.
Also i check with lot of Sharp dealers and found that 0.8 ton LV model is yet to be launch in Mumbai in another 15 days.

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Rated EER (W/W) 3.63

I have purchased AH-XP13PMT for INR 34500 at Hyderabad. is it a good price? Installation, stabilizer extra. I am not sure if Stabilizer is required for Inverter models.

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Rated EER (W/W) 3.63

Sharp has stop the production of this model. So its better to go for new models of PET, PMT or PHT.
The EER of AH-XP13LV is 3.63 (3670/1010) which is same as newer 3 models.

So probably if you are getting 13LV model then its from old stock of 2013.
Dont buy unless you are getting good discount for this model.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back