Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

1 point where I'm concerned about sharp is that it can operate at max temp of 46C, whereas daikin or general can operate at much higher temp....

1 point where I'm concerned about sharp is that it can operate at max temp of 46C

Well it depends in which city you are using the air conditioner. Kolkata having a tropical wet-and-dry climate, the annual mean temperature is at around 24.8 C; monthly mean temperatures range from 15 C to 30 C. Summers are hot and humid with temperatures in the low 30's. During dry spells of May and June the average temperature remains 37 C while maximum temperatures often exceed 40 C. The highest recorded temperature in Kolkata is 43.9 C.

Using Sharp Inverter air conditioners having a max operating temperature of 46 C, will never be a problem in Kolkata.

daikin or general can operate at much higher temp....

During my air conditioners buying exercise Daikins top Inverter model using R410 gas was FTKS50 having an identical max operating temperature of 46 C, while being more expensive as well as inferior to Sharp in terms of cooling performance.

Regarding O-General Inverter air conditioners I cannot comment, they must be stratospherically expensive for GOD knows what reasons. Their 5-Star, 1.5 Ton non-Inverter costs INR 48K (IDU + ODU) where as Sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter costs INR 41K (IDU + ODU + Free installation kit). Living in Kolkata I see no reason to opt for a O-General.

It has been over a week since you were looking for an air conditioner. Have you reached to any concrete conclusion as to which type of air conditioner you need to buy? I mean Inverter or non-Inverter? Which models?

Last edited:
It has been over a week since you were looking for an air conditioner. Have you reached to any concrete conclusion as to which type of air conditioner you need to buy? I mean Inverter or non-Inverter? Which models?

For the drawing room where the ac will not run much how will be a 3 star?

Hmm. it seems you are still making rounds.

The Japanese air conditioner manufactures always seem to save the best of their product line up for their own home market while providing us just a glimpse of their technological achievement and prowess. Take for example the ground breaking A-SX series Sharp released in 2011 which perpetuated to B-SX series in 2012 and C-SX series in 2013. I do have a lot of respect for Sharp, they are a 100 year old company who are celebrating their centennial this year. Going through their special site for centennial celebration I found they made their first in house water cooled air conditioner RC-101 way back in 1958. Even today they are one of the top companies to remain on the fore front of the air conditioner technology.

Link: Sharp 100-Year History

Sharp RC-101

rc101.jpg

Sharp have proper R&D facilities as depicted in this YouTube video where they are performing temperature distribution tests of their own models:

Video Link: YouTube: Sharp Air Conditioning R&D Labs

The indoor units of these air conditioners are a tour-de-force, especially the mechanism by which their vertical and horizontal louvers work and control the flow of indoor air. I was astounded after watching a video of their 2011 released Sharp AY-A50SX-W (A-SX series) in YouTube which led me to visit their Japanese website. Alas all were in Japanese, I didn't understand much. This is a 1.5 Ton, Hot & Cold, Inverter air conditioner which if ever sold in India is going to cost over a lakh of rupees!!!

Sharp AY-A50SX-W

a01hr.jpg

One word HUGE!!!

sharpaya50sxw1.jpg

I love that back-lit remote

a621f.jpg

sharpaya50sxw2.jpg

The vertical louver opening up-side down. Look at the size of the louver!!!

a40qf.jpg

sharpaya50sxw3.jpg

Another tiny vertical louver emerging from inside

sharpaya50sxw4.jpg

a50i.jpg

The vertical louver now opening down-side up!!!

sharpaya50sxw5.jpg

Mama-mia now I understand why they dont sell them in here. They will always remain on the dealers demo room due to their thunderous asking price. Anyway enjoy the video below of Sharp AY-A50SX-W (A-SX series) in action and discover the hidden values of air.:)

Video Link: YouTube: Sharp AY-A50SX-W

Last edited:
For the drawing room where the ac will not run much how will be a 3 star?

I mostly zeroed in LG 5 star for living room and sharp inverter for bed room. But saw panasonic inverter also, although price a bit higher, still need to have a look at it.

Last edited:
@rishiguru
i read your TE thread also about the same subject and you deserve :clapping: for all the research work. definitely worth it.

I am not the kind of person who buys a consumer product because Mr. X has recommended buying product Y from manufacturer Z.
when is your next purchase of a washing machine and a refrigerator?:D

Guys I am thinking of getting a Daikin 1 ton inverter for my room sized 12ft x 12ft. I know some people might say that I should opt for a 1.5ton instead but here are my reasons for going 1 ton:

1. the room is on 1st floor and is surrounded by rooms on all sides, top included. So no direct sunlight. Marble flooring too! (Living in Ludhiana.)

2. I have found out the optimum tonnage for the room should be about 1.1 ton. However, the 1ton can overwork itself upto 1.2tons initially to cool faster, hence overcoming the problem.

3. Mostly night usage! Occasionally day usage.

4. Normal power consumption of a 5star 1.5ton AC is about 1600W while for the one ton is just 950 watts. Even with 50:50 ratio of on-off cycle, the average power consumption for 1.5 ton will average out to be near 800w. The 1 ton one might consume additional power at first but when temperature will stabilize, it'll end up using almost same or maybe even less power. Hence there is no justification to spending 12k extra on 1.5ton invertor AC.

What do you say guys? Any critique of the points mentioned or any personal experience which might be helpful to me?

Guys I am thinking of getting a Daikin 1 ton inverter for my room sized 12ft x 12ft. I know some people might say that I should opt for a 1.5ton instead but here are my reasons for going 1 ton:

1. the room is on 1st floor and is surrounded by rooms on all sides, top included. So no direct sunlight. Marble flooring too! (Living in Ludhiana.)

2. I have found out the optimum tonnage for the room should be about 1.1 ton. However, the 1ton can overwork itself upto 1.2tons initially to cool faster, hence overcoming the problem.

3. Mostly night usage! Occasionally day usage.

4. Normal power consumption of a 5star 1.5ton AC is about 1600W while for the one ton is just 950 watts. Even with 50:50 ratio of on-off cycle, the average power consumption for 1.5 ton will average out to be near 800w. The 1 ton one might consume additional power at first but when temperature will stabilize, it'll end up using almost same or maybe even less power. Hence there is no justification to spending 12k extra on 1.5ton invertor AC.

What do you say guys? Any critique of the points mentioned or any personal experience which might be helpful to me?

For a 144 sqft room with marble flooring on 1st floor, having no direct sunlight, surrounded by rooms on all sides top included a 1.1 Ton Inverter like the Sharp AH-XP13LV will do the job just fine. Actually it could have easily cooled even if your room was as big as 160 sqft.

Opting for a 1.5 Ton Inverter will be a waste of money.

Booked sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5 ton eco-inverter yesterday:yahoo: total damage Rs 44000/- at vadodara including installation but opted for EMI option without any extra cost

Thanks all especially rishiguru

For a 144 sqft room with marble flooring on 1st floor, having no direct sunlight, surrounded by rooms on all sides top included a 1.1 Ton Inverter like the Sharp AH-XP13LV will do the job just fine. Actually it could have easily cooled even if your room was as big as 160 sqft.

Opting for a 1.5 Ton Inverter will be a waste of money.

Can't go for that one because I have the regular copper tubes already installed inside the walls. So R410A based AC are out of question. That's why I am thinking about the Daikin one.

Havn't inquired yet locally but frm what i've read online, it's about 30-32k. Moreover I have found out that the max cooling capacity of both Sharp one and Daikin one (by overworking the compressor) is 4 kW! That means the max capacity is same for both even though the default one is higher in sharp.

Havn't inquired yet locally but frm what i've read online, it's about 30-32k.

Does that include free installation kit?

Moreover I have found out that the max cooling capacity of both Sharp one and Daikin one (by overworking the compressor) is 4 kW! That means the max capacity is same for both even though the default one is higher in sharp.

Well I believe you are talking about the AH-XP13NRV (NRV series) while I was taking about Sharp AH-XP13LV (LV Series). While both AH-X12NEV (NEV series) and AH-XP13NRV (NRV series) use identical indoor units a year before Sharp used to offer a real 1.1 Ton inverter by the model AH-XP13LV (LV series). Comparing the specs I found this older model to be superior in every other way than the recent AH-XP13NRV.

Sharp AH-XP13NRV

Indoor Unit [IDU]: Sharp AH-XP13NRV
Outdoor Unit [ODU]: Sharp AU-X13NV
Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.9 - 3.6 - 4)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (3,073 - 12,292 - 13,658)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.26 - 1.02 - 1.14)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.6 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1150 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.13
Max Outdoor Operating Temparature: 46 C
Indoor Airflow Rate (CMM): 10.8
Plasmacluster Air Purifier: Available
Refrigerant Gas: R410A
IDU Weight: 9 kg
ODU Weight: 28 kg

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Indoor Unit [IDU]: Sharp AH-XP13LV
Outdoor Unit [ODU]: Sharp AU-X13LV
Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.8 - 3.67 - 4.20)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (2,732 - 12,531 - 14,341)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.23 - 1.04 - 1.20)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.67 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1010 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.63
Indoor Airflow Rate (CMM): 10.9
ODU Weight: 28.5 kg

It seems the LV model have a upper hand in every single department in terms of cooling capacity to NRV model at minimum, rated and maximum cooling capacities. The LV will provide a slightly more powerful cooling under rated condition while maxing out to a 1.2 Ton. The NRV can do a max of 1.14 Ton. The LV model also wins in having an even lower minimum cooling capacity ceiling of 0.23 Ton thus consuming slightly less energy when the set temperature is achieved while the NRV can do the best of 0.26 Ton. The LV model ODU is 500 grams heavier than the NRV, which may denote a bigger and higher capacity compressor along with bigger condenser.

And even though the LV is more powerful than NRV, it consumes less energy reflected in higher cooling performance having an EER of 3.63 while the NRV can do a best of EER of 3.13. Other than looks of NRV mimicking the MV series which is without a hint of doubt the sexiest looking air conditioner in town, the LV model is in a win-win situation.

Now let me stress there is a common belief that Inverter air conditioners remain always operational while switched on. While this is true to a certain point in that their compressors remain operational for about 98% of the duty cycle, for the rest 2% the compressor turns off just like non-Inverters. Say when the LV model attains its set temperature and tries to maintain it by coming down from its maximum cooling capacity of 1.2 Ton to 0.23 Ton there comes a point of time when even the 0.23 Ton becomes too powerful to maintain the set temperature and hence turned off. When the indoor temperature sensors of the IDU sense a tiny rise of 0.5 C, the micro-computer module again turns on to 0.23 Ton cooling capacity thus saving energy while a non-Inverter on the other hand turns on to a 1 Ton thus gulping more energy.

If we consider both LV and NRV above models as non-Inverter running at its rated cooling capacity always, then comparing the above two we find for every hour of operation the Sharp model saves 1150 - 1010 = 140 watts of energy consumption. This means 140/1000 = 0.14 energy unit saved per hour. For a 12 hour operation on a daily basis saves 0.14 X 12 = 1.68 units. In a months time of this daily routine saves 1.68 X 30 = 50.4 units. Considering an average rate of rupees 5 per unit, equates to INR 252 savings per month and for 10 months of use a year equates to INR 2,520 savings per year. In an assumed 10 year life cycle the LV model saves a total of 2520 X 10 = INR 25.2K over the NRV model. With LVs and NRVs costing the same I find no point in opting for NRV series other than looks.

Fortunately after recently visiting a electronic store here the good news is Sharp India are again importing their older LV series due to better performance capabilities over NRV series and are now readily available. I also saw the LV series on their display, price being identical to NRV series.

Some pictures of the Sharp AH-XP13LV, 1.1Ton Inverter AC with in-built Plasmacluster air purifier:

Indoor Unit [AH-XP13LV]

ahxp13lv1.jpg

ahxp13lv2.jpg

Outdoor Unit [AU-X13LV]

ahxp13lv3.jpg

ahxp13lv4.jpg

Outdoor Unit using conventional Copper Aluminum Condenser

ahxp13lv5.jpg

Free Installation Kit

ahxp13lv6.jpg

Hope it helps.:)

Last edited:
Does that include free installation kit?

Well I believe you are talking about the AH-XP13NRV (NRV series) while I was taking about Sharp AH-XP13LV (LV Series). While both AH-X12NEV (NEV series) and AH-XP13NRV (NRV series) use identical indoor units a year before Sharp used to offer a real 1.1 Ton inverter by the model AH-XP13LV (LV series). Comparing the specs I found this older model to be superior in every other way than the recent AH-XP13NRV.

Sharp AH-XP13NRV

Indoor Unit [IDU]: Sharp AH-XP13NRV
Outdoor Unit [ODU]: Sharp AU-X13NV
Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.9 - 3.6 - 4)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (3,073 - 12,292 - 13,658)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.26 - 1.02 - 1.14)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.6 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1150 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.13
Indoor Airflow Rate (CMM): 10.8
ODU Weight: 28 kg

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Indoor Unit [IDU]: Sharp AH-XP13LV
Outdoor Unit [ODU]: Sharp AU-X13LV
Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.8 - 3.67 - 4.20)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (2,732 - 12,531 - 14,341)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.23 - 1.04 - 1.20)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.67 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1010 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.63
Indoor Airflow Rate (CMM): 10.9
ODU Weight: 28.5 kg

It seems the LV model have a upper hand in every single department in terms of cooling capacity to NRV model at minimum, rated and maximum cooling capacities. The LV will provide a slightly more powerful cooling under rated condition while maxing out to a 1.2 Ton. The NRV can do a max of 1.14 Ton. The LV model also wins in having an even lower minimum cooling capacity ceiling of 0.23 Ton thus consuming slightly less energy when the set temperature is achieved while the NRV can do the best of 0.26 Ton. The LV model ODU is 500 grams heavier than the NRV, which may denote a bigger and higher capacity compressor along with bigger condenser.

And even though the LV is more powerful than NRV, it consumes less energy reflected in higher cooling performance having an EER of 3.63 while the NRV can do a best of EER of 3.13. Other than looks of NRV mimicking the MV series which is without a hint of doubt the sexiest looking air conditioner in town, the LV model is in a win-win situation.

Now let me stress there is a common belief that Inverter air conditioners remain always operational while switched on. While this is true to a certain point in that their compressors remain operational for about 98% of the duty cycle, for the rest 2% the compressor turns off just like non-Inverters. Say when the LV model attains its set temperature and tries to maintain it by coming down from its maximum cooling capacity of 1.2 Ton to 0.23 Ton there comes a point of time when even the 0.23 Ton becomes too powerful to maintain the set temperature and hence turned off. When the indoor temperature sensors of the IDU sense a tiny rise of 0.5 C, the micro-computer module again turns on to 0.23 Ton cooling capacity thus saving energy while a non-Inverter on the other hand turns on to a 1 Ton thus gulping more energy.

If we consider both LV and NRV above models as non-Inverter running at its rated cooling capacity always, then comparing the above two we find for every hour of operation the Sharp model saves 1150 - 1010 = 140 watts of energy consumption. This means 140/1000 = 0.14 energy unit saved per hour. For a 12 hour operation on a daily basis saves 0.14 X 12 = 1.68 units. In a months time of this daily routine saves 1.68 X 30 = 50.4 units. Considering an average rate of rupees 5 per unit, equates to INR 252 savings per month and for 10 months of use a year equates to INR 2,520 savings per year. In an assumed 10 year life cycle the LV model saves a total of 2520 X 10 = INR 25.2K over the NRV model. With LVs and NRVs costing the same I find no point in opting for NRV series other than looks.

Fortunately after recently visiting a electronic store here the good news is Sharp India are again importing their older LV series due to better performance capabilities over NRV series and are now readily available. I also saw the LV series on their display, price being identical to NRV series.

Some pictures of the Sharp AH-XP13LV, 1.1Ton Inverter AC with in-built Plasmacluster air purifier:

Indoor Unit [AH-XP13LV]

ahxp13lv1.jpg

ahxp13lv2.jpg

Outdoor Unit [AU-X13LV]

ahxp13lv3.jpg

ahxp13lv4.jpg

Outdoor Unit using conventional Copper Aluminum Condenser

ahxp13lv5.jpg

Free Installation Kit

ahxp13lv6.jpg

Hope it helps.:)

The more I read your posts, the more I believe that you are appointed by sharp itself! :p

I already told you that the piping is different, so no R410A. The explanation and comparision was no necessary.. but thanks anyway! :)

The more I read your posts, the more I believe that you are appointed by sharp itself! :p I already told you that the piping is different, so no R410A. The explanation and comparision was no necessary.. but thanks anyway! :)

Just thought of clearing the confusion regarding the model I suggested is not the one you were comparing with. Unfortunately it seems you have taken that info otherwise.

Anyway wish you all the best for the new AC purchase.

Excellent detailed review, should have read it before I bought a Daikin unit last week.

Day by day I find less and less time to indulge into some of my favorite forums like hifivision, so much going on in my life right now. I never thought to be able to write such a detailed review as can be found on the beginning of the thread, I just devoted an hour a day. Five days, five hours and it was done with my cumulative thoughts and learning's of past six months air conditioners buying experience.

Thanks for your complements.:)

And hey, Daikin's are really good.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back