Right now I am listening to ...

E0E57A5C-77B5-4962-8682-5CDAB56EA1BB.jpeg

This is the highest sold album in music history! It lost that status to ‘Thriller’ after Michael Jackson passed away, but regained the same recently.

Eagles, if you haven’t tried are one of the most melodic and harmonic soft rock bands. You are likely to like them if you like acoustic guitar (tried alliteration in that sentence!).

Note that this compilation was for the four albums before their epic ‘Hotel California’.

Bickram Ghosh’s new album “Paperboats”. A collaboration with violinist Kala Ramanath, this is a beautifully composed and recorded album, a fusion of Indian classical, Jazz and Western classical. He describes this album as a call to return to our childhood and innocence.

Musically it’s good. But somehow, I couldn’t relate to international musicians on an album reminiscent of childhood. Let me explain. Childhood is purely personal - it should evoke memories from one’s own childhood. I was expecting that through the album as it’s led by two top class Indian musicians. Though I love fusion and world music, it’s the grown up in me that does so. The child needs regression back to a local setting.

Musically it’s good. But somehow, I couldn’t relate to international musicians on an album reminiscent of childhood. Let me explain. Childhood is purely personal - it should evoke memories from one’s own childhood. I was expecting that through the album as it’s led by two top class Indian musicians. Though I love fusion and world music, it’s the grown up in me that does so. The child needs regression back to a local setting.
Yes, Sachin, very true. We have grown very complex and our tastes in music along with it. If you ask me what reminds me of childhood, it'll be L.Vaidyanathan's score for Malgudi days TV series. That is a local setting I grew up in (Karnataka), I remember even today, fondly :)

P.S. The first/last 20 sec in the video was added by the person who uploaded , not part of the original track :)

Last edited:
Yes, Sachin, very true. We have grown very complex and our tastes in music along with it. If you ask me what reminds me of childhood, it'll be L.Vaidyanathan's score for Malgudi days TV series. That is a local setting I grew up in (Karnataka), I remember even today, fondly :)

P.S. The first/last 20 sec in the video was added by the person who uploaded , not part of the original track :)
Hi
Sandeepss
Thank you for sharing this.I have been nostalgic because I can remember my school days when this show was telecast in DD. Gone were those days when we didn't have so many TV channels ,and the shans bahu quarrel rather literature based programmes, Bollywood movie songs, Bengali songs and some other which reminded us of our culture and tradition.
Cheers

Hi
Sandeepss
Thank you for sharing this.I have been nostalgic because I can remember my school days when this show was telecast in DD. Gone were those days when we didn't have so many TV channels ,and the shans bahu quarrel rather literature based programmes, Bollywood movie songs, Bengali songs and some other which reminded us of our culture and tradition.
Cheers
Thanks, Bhaskar. This show is currently available on Amazon Primevideo. As with other things in life, the content there too is transient, so I got the 6 DVD pack to relive those days :)

1568104390481.png

Thanks, Bhaskar. This show is currently available on Amazon Primevideo. As with other things in life, the content there too is transient, so I got the 6 DVD pack to relive those days :)

View attachment 39013
Hi
Sandeepss
Glad to know that you have collected this gem.Enjoy this and ruminate our glorious past. Thank God that we didn't have pubg,and the like in our childhood. Another thing I would like to say is that the fictitious place Malgudi had grabbed a place in Oxford's literature map(can't show any evidence but heard it from my friend).
Regards
Bhaskar

50606FF3-F367-4AE3-8A19-106F40A1601C.jpeg

One of the best folksy-classical film scores in recent years. Traditional instrumentation, stellar vocals, very good recording.

View attachment 39052

One of the best folksy-classical film scores in recent years. Traditional instrumentation, stellar vocals, very good recording.
Here is one of the Assamese folk song used in this album. Thanks to FM @skroderider :)

To quote him from another thread:
Another sub genre is Goalparia lokogeet - very evocative songs often sung with a two stringed instrument (dotara)

Last edited:
folderkc6__76162.1525887074.jpg

"Prelude and Nostalgia"

511lI0apTsL.jpg

One of greatest electronic composer of our times.

A track from this album "Second Rendez-vous" is famously used as the theme of Mukul S Anand's Epic and Iconic Agneepath (1990),
Amitabh got a national award for his portrayal of Vijay Dinanath Chouhan, *Pura Naam.

This Scarface adoption is a cult classic.

D7984B7E-93F8-4720-AC3E-57260AF0F55A.jpeg

Beautiful chamber pop album, ‘The Crying Light’ is perhaps Antony’s best. As usually with androgyny, union with Mother Nature suffuses the narrative. The singing and orchestration is highly sensitive and emotive. The picture above articulates the mood of the album.

A less known gem of alternative music, it has to be heard to realise its spiritual power. The song One Dove is a good place to start.

061DFC5D-BAE2-4CB3-A3AB-F92BFCCB3EFF.jpeg

I happened to discover these guys through Radio Paradise (if you have a streamer, and don’t listen to the RP radio station, try it NOW), and felt like meeting soulmates. The British-Irish Waterboys, fronted by the Scottish Mike Scott, are a rare breed - they have exceptionally erudite lyrics, spiritual songs (paganism, environmentalism etc.) but in a very poetic way, and big sound! These come across as the educated, thinking rockers based on their music. They have been making music from the 80’s till date.

‘This is the Sea’ is their most popular albums from the 80s that has the typical Waterboys sound that came to be called ‘The Big Music’. Listen to ‘The Whole of the Moon’... I felt very understood by the lyrics. Some of you who live in their own minds as much as (if not more) than in the physical world, would resonate. Sonically it is a wonderful phantasmagoria of voices, instruments and other sounds amongst which the lyrics still leap out to you.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back