Right now I am listening to ...

R-8576072-1464370886-1764.jpeg.jpg

Maria by Remy Van Kesteren

The founding father of Kirana gharana. Played a major role in spreading Hindustani classical in Mumbai, Maharashtra and Mysore. Also contributed to the Natya Sangeet. Had stalwart disciples/followers who carried his legacy forward including Sawai Gandharva, Roshan Ara Begum, Hirabai Barodekar, Kesarbai Kerkar, and Sureshbabu Mane. Even great Bhimsen Joshi was inspired to take up classical singing when he heard Ustadji’s thumri as a teenager.

His was an utterly melodious style of khyal singing - perhaps the most melodious of all time. This collection is a fairly good recording considering that Ustad ji passed away in 1937.

Trivia: He had the guts to have inter religious marriage with a royal lady, Tarabai Mane of Baroda back then. They had a son and daughter who made their own mark in Classical music - Sureshbabu and Hirabai.

112BF084-F871-4B4D-9820-353627CBD7A1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
70B7FA6C-399D-4688-BC2E-1C6A350373A4.jpeg

From AllMusic: “Accompanying a documentary film by American director Paul Thomas Anderson, Junun is a cross-cultural collaboration between Israeli singer/composer/musician Shye Ben Tzur, British guitarist/composer Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead), and a group of Indian musicians dubbed the Rajasthan Express, along with producer Nigel Godrich. The album and film were recorded at the Mehrangarh Fort in the state of Rajasthan, India, and all of the songs were written by Ben Tzur, who resides in both India and Israel and composes qawwalis in Hebrew, Urdu, and Hindi.”

My Impressions: Very different tunes and sounds from the usual Indo-western fusion one is used to. It’s a riot of sounds. The title song will especially test your woofers With the number or different drums playing simultaneously. Each song is very different from the other and still the album doesn’t sound incoherent. Innovative and musical to the core.

The founding father of Kirana gharana. Played a major role in spreading Hindustani classical in Mumbai, Maharashtra and Mysore. Also contributed to the Natya Sangeet. Had stalwart disciples/followers who carried his legacy forward including Sawai Gandharva, Roshan Ara Begum, Hirabai Barodekar, Kesarbai Kerkar, and Sureshbabu Mane. Even great Bhimsen Joshi was inspired to take up classical singing when he heard Ustadji’s thumri as a teenager.

His was an utterly melodious style of khyal singing - perhaps the most melodious of all time. This collection is a fairly good recording considering that Ustad ji passed away in 1937.

Trivia: He had the guts to have inter religious marriage with a royal lady, Tarabai Mane of Baroda back then. They had a son and daughter who made their own mark in Classical music - Sureshbabu and Hirabai.

View attachment 40078
Hi
Sachinbhai
Nice write up about the all-time great khansahib Abdul Karim khan. Have become nostalgic as in my college days back in 90's I listened to a vinyl IMMORTAL THUMRIS and can remember the voice of this maestro. I always read your posts with rapt attention and feel good as you like Indian classical. I would humbly request you to listen to the ragas DARBARI and KALAWATI by ustad NAZAKAT and SALAMAT ALI of SAMCHAURASHI gharana. As history says Rajah Sam Singh of Punjab province ( now in Pakistan) had 84 parganas under his rule,hence the gharana is known as SAMCHAURASHI. I would also request you to listen to rags KEDAR both in santoor recital by or.Shiv Kumar Sharma and in vocal by ustad Rashid Khan.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi
Sachinbhai
Nice write up about the all-time great khansahib Abdul Karim khan. Have become nostalgic as in my college days back in 90's I listened to a vinyl IMMORTAL THUMRIS and can remember the voice of this maestro. I always read your posts with rapt attention and feel good as you like Indian classical. I would humbly request you to listen to the ragas DARBARI and KALAWATI by ustad NAZAKAT and SALAMAT ALI of SAMCHAURASHI gharana. As history says Rajah Sam Singh of Punjab province ( now in Pakistan) had 84 parganas under his rule,hence the gharana is known as SAMCHAURASHI. I would also request you to listen to rags KEDAR both in santoor recital by or.Shiv Kumar Sharma and in vocal by ustad Rashid Khan.
Regards
Bhaskar

The Jogia Thumri "Piya ke Milan ki Aas" -

You can find various renderings on youtube by KhanSaheb Adbul Karim Khan, to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, and then others further on along the Kirana gharana parampara. It's very interesting to listen to them one after the other in one sitting.

The Jogia Thumri "Piya ke Milan ki Aas" -

You can find various renderings on youtube by KhanSaheb Adbul Karim Khan, to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, and then others further on along the Kirana gharana parampara. It's very interesting to listen to them one after the other in one sitting.
Hi
Arao
Glad to know that you are on the same boat. Really Indian classical is a precious stone that gives you celestial pleasure. It is our legacy also. My primary route is vinyl so I always want to listen to Indian classical on this format. Occasionally I also download from legal sites and listen. So IMO youtube is also a convenient way. Please keep on listening and writing about the rich parampara .
Cheers
Bhaskar

Pandit Jasraj & Shaarangdev Pandit - Raga Symphony - Times Music

A beautiful and very well recorded album.

Quoting from discogs:
1571559535699.png
"Since time immemorial, Indian and Western classical music have been regarded as the cornerstone of two diverse ethos's, mirroring the very philosophy of each. One is the melody-based and the other harmonic. One, fiercely individualistic in its mastery; the other showcasing its skill in a predetermined harmony of chords.

‘Raga Symphony’ is an attempt to bring the listener face to face with the universality of the music of both – the ability to tap into the deep well of our emotions, the ability to evoke different moods and ambience, and the ability to bring us communion with the Divine.

The hundred and fifty year old Mewati gharana, which today boasts of the living legend Pandit Jasraj, has always been known for its ability to evoke moods through the intricate handling of the traditional Indian raags. ‘Raga Symphony’ is a presentation of some of its timeless compositions presented in a symphony by Shaarangdev, son of Pandit Jasraj, who trained in both Indian and Western classical. It is an attempt to showcase the magnificence of both styles of music, while preserving the identity and purity of the Indian raag as well as the stately grandeur of Western classical music."

What a beautiful music from Pancham da.. Abdullah

Abdullah Single ACD

Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg

Qurbani/ Abdullah

Qurbani_Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg

Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai/ Abdullah

Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai_Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg

Attachments

• Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg
    Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Qurbani_Abdullah_ACD_Front.jpg