Right now I am listening to ...

Last Christmas - Wham
I just called to say I love you - Stevie Wonder
Oh Carol - Neil Sedaka

Have repeated several times since evening. Takes one back to the time when life was simpler. Only if life could take us back!

View attachment 39141

I happened to discover these guys through Radio Paradise (if you have a streamer, and don’t listen to the RP radio station, try it NOW), and felt like meeting soulmates. The British-Irish Waterboys, fronted by the Scottish Mike Scott, are a rare breed - they have exceptionally erudite lyrics, spiritual songs (paganism, environmentalism etc.) but in a very poetic way, and big sound! These come across as the educated, thinking rockers based on their music. They have been making music from the 80’s till date.

‘This is the Sea’ is their most popular albums from the 80s that has the typical Waterboys sound that came to be called ‘The Big Music’. Listen to ‘The Whole of the Moon’... I felt very understood by the lyrics. Some of you who live in their own minds as much as (if not more) than in the physical world, would resonate. Sonically it is a wonderful phantasmagoria of voices, instruments and other sounds amongst which the lyrics still leap out to you.
And what a discovery Sachin. Never had heard of these guys and I have spent a whole evening listening to more and more of their music on YouTube. Thanks. 80s weren't so bad after all. In a similar vein, James and a song by them called Sometimes and Real gone kid by Deacon blue seem to share a very similar vibe.

View attachment 39141

I happened to discover these guys through Radio Paradise (if you have a streamer, and don’t listen to the RP radio station, try it NOW), and felt like meeting soulmates. The British-Irish Waterboys, fronted by the Scottish Mike Scott, are a rare breed - they have exceptionally erudite lyrics, spiritual songs (paganism, environmentalism etc.) but in a very poetic way, and big sound! These come across as the educated, thinking rockers based on their music. They have been making music from the 80’s till date.

‘This is the Sea’ is their most popular albums from the 80s that has the typical Waterboys sound that came to be called ‘The Big Music’. Listen to ‘The Whole of the Moon’... I felt very understood by the lyrics. Some of you who live in their own minds as much as (if not more) than in the physical world, would resonate. Sonically it is a wonderful phantasmagoria of voices, instruments and other sounds amongst which the lyrics still leap out to you.
Have only heard one track by them and really liked it. Was convinced that it was Dylan, but it turned out to be the Waterboys:

7D8DCDC9-6410-4096-A619-58ECE90AF861.jpeg

Anybody else thinks it’s the best Hindi film album to have come in the last 20 years?

Lyrics, tunes, singing, instrumentation, dynamic range, sound staging, consistency... everything perfect.

View attachment 39205

Anybody else thinks it’s the best Hindi film album to have come in the last 20 years?

Lyrics, tunes, singing, instrumentation, dynamic range, sound staging, consistency... everything perfect.
Oh yes! Lovely album. Gulzar and MM Kreem :)
The recording also has much lesser loudness than normal, which highlights the dynamic passages very well

“When the sound of a Baul’s voice penetrates the ear, an inner tree - the kalpa briksha (the tree of time) - awakens to life inside the body and seven flowers bloom, lotus chakras of energy, and honey rises in these blossoms. In exchange for this honey, the villagers give alms of rice, dal and vegetables to the Bauls”.

- From the CD cover, about the tradition of ‘Madhukuri’ (honey gathering) among the mendicant Baul singers of Bengal.

3CC4039F-57C4-423B-A8DB-5B6637D2C0BC.jpeg

Paban Das Baul has taken the Baul music to the world audience. This is a sparsely, but cleanly recorded album that can make you mantra-mugdha. Gather the honey!

“When the sound of a Baul’s voice penetrates the ear, an inner tree - the kalpa briksha (the tree of time) - awakens to life inside the body and seven flowers bloom, lotus chakras of energy, and honey rises in these blossoms. In exchange for this honey, the villagers give alms of rice, dal and vegetables to the Bauls”.

- From the CD cover, about the tradition of ‘Madhukuri’ (honey gathering) among the mendicant Baul singers of Bengal.

View attachment 39212

Paban Das Baul has taken the Baul music to the world audience. This is a sparsely, but cleanly recorded album that can make you mantra-mugdha. Gather the honey!
Thanks, listening now, this sounds lovely :)
Another Baul music album I enjoyed was "Baul Fokirer Rabindranath", composed by Kalika Prasad Bhattacharya, folk interpretation of Tagore's poems. The highlight of Baul music has been the evocative singing and the sparse instrumentals. You might like it :)

Last edited:
500x500.jpg

Notwhing Else Matters by Metallica — Søren Bødker Madsen

9B4F42A3-EF48-4140-A554-7D906699A6FA.jpeg

If you can enjoy the entire album and not raise an eyebrow, you are still young! :)
(And like any good punk album, it will test the speed of your system)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back