Right now I am listening to ...

You need to only register via VPN. You don’t need VPN to listen to it.

Tidal lags Spotify and Apple Music when it comes to new Hindi film music - by which I mean albums that have come out recently in the last year or so. However you’d be surprised (I was) to see the rich collection they have of the classics across eras (right from 50s to 2010s) and genres (Hindi film, pop, ghazals, bhajans, Indian classics, Indofusion etc). Their collection in fact goes pretty deep into these genres. I feel Tidal, when it comes to Indian music is targeting afficionados. It’s possible they’d build their contemporary (new launches) collection when they go for an India launch. With bandwidth rates falling, let’s hope that happens soon.

Posting a random screenshot of a small part the Tidal collection of Hindi film music from 70s so you get an idea.

View attachment 41302
Another random statistic that can help you appreciate this: Tidal has 43 film albums by Usha Khanna - a capable, but not so famous music composer from the seventies and eighties. And almost 130 albums by the famous composer duo Shankar Jaikishan. And then if you search for Anand Shankar or Asha Puthli, you’d be positively surprised!
Thanks Sachin. This is indeed very useful info. Tidal subscription is expensive but i guess worth exploring for their quality and the hindi collection that i did not expect. Thanks.

Here, I would seek your and others' permission to use this typical hindi word, rather Delhi word - "Bhains ki aankh" !!!!!
Why didn't I explore these on Tidal ?!!! Thanks for sharing Sachin, like always.

Am into Tidal now :)

Having said what I wrote above, let me also say that while I rely on Tidal extensively to explore music (both old and new, Indian and international), I still prefer CDs for a listening session when it comes to my favourite albums. As good as Tidal streaming quality is, it falls short of CD quality. Just yesterday I contrasted the song from Sadma (in the post above in this thread) played through Tidal with that on my CD collection. Note that except for the CD transport (CXC) and the digital cable, the entire chain of equipment (from DAC to the speakers) was identical in both cases. But those parameters I have written about the song in that post were quite easily better with the CD than Tidal. The tautness of drums, the brilliance of the percussions, the holography of sound, CD easily aces Tidal.

And yet, I find Tidal valuable because there’s a limit to the number of CDs one can have. And if one is not just an audiophile, but also a music lover, Tidal opens up the world of music (including Indian) through a reasonably good sound. It’s only when I am sure or repeated playing of any album/artist, do I go for buying a CD these days. And then, with so many older albums, the CDs just cannot be found anymore. Therefore, the two (CD and Tidal) can coexist.

Having said what I wrote above, let me also say that while I rely on Tidal extensively to explore music (both old and new, Indian and international), I still prefer CDs for a listening session when it comes to my favourite albums. As good as Tidal streaming quality is, it falls short of CD quality. Just yesterday I contrasted the song from Sadma (in the post above in this thread) played through Tidal with that on my CD collection. Note that except for the CD transport (CXC) and the digital cable, the entire chain of equipment (from DAC to the speakers) was identical in both cases. But those parameters I have written about the song in that post were quite easily better with the CD than Tidal. The tautness of drums, the brilliance of the percussions, the holography of sound, CD easily aces Tidal.

And yet, I find Tidal valuable because there’s a limit to the number of CDs one can have. And if one is not just an audiophile, but also a music lover, Tidal opens up the world of music (including Indian) through a reasonably good sound. It’s only when I am sure or repeated playing of any album/artist, do I go for buying a CD these days. And then, with so many older albums, the CDs just cannot be found anymore. Therefore, the two (CD and Tidal) can coexist.
I agree there with you Sachin.
I was quite keen on completing my setup with the Audiolab 6000CDT but hesitated or maybe resisted. I too feel that there MIGHT be very few CDs that I might like to possess or listen to again and again. And then too, I have to look for those albums.
So, keeping that itch aside of listening to 'even better version' I settled for Tidal or Qubuz where I have the convenience of just choosing what I want to listen to at that given point of time that's readily available.

View attachment 41297

This is an absolutely senseless song and one of the worst from Sadma film from a lyrics point of view. However just listen to the music - it’s something else. Not too many Hindi songs of this vintage will test your system’s bass capabilities like this one. Different kinds of drums played in very taut fashion, with small but rapid beats, plenty of percussion - check how well your system can play it. it’s a mishmash of sounds that somehow comes together beautifully. That’s the sheer genius of Ilayaraja at play.
I used to avoid this particular track because of the worst lyric. But later to my surprise I found that the music composition was superb. Any rig be it costly or cheap will play this track well and it also shows how beautifully one's rig separates different instruments used in that song.

5a287b471eb07ec73e5e2d8812010b64.jpg

Ethiopiques Vol 4
Most songs are by Mulatu Astatke
Very rythmic and soothing music.
Neeraj, I just discovered Mulatu Astatke and really like his music and just typed in a few keywords on the forum to see your post from a while ago. another Ehiopian great I like is Getatchew Mekurya. The melodies are so great with the latter especially and make me feel close to our own styles of Bollywood from years ago.

The band Khruangbin from America is "alright" and has been gaining their fair share of recognition and after discovering their music and taking a liking to it (made easy on the eye by the bassist, Laura Lee"s long legs and a very sensual side to side sway), i ventured more into Thai Funk, a phenomenon that has existed for more than a few years now. The band Thruangbin says, "Lee’s favorite Thai word, directly translates to “engine fly," although the word is used in the same context as the English word “airplane." “We were listening to a lot of sixties Thai funk when we started to play together,” says Lee about why they chose the now famously hard-to-pronounce name.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back