Road rage???

hi all: Thanks a lot for all your perspective.

Yes, he did wrong, he deserved, he might be driving correctly now, he might be more careful, may be I even saved 1 or 2 lives by teaching him a lesson.

But the bottom line is, what i did was plain stupid, idiotic, and very very immature and in fact I had put my wife in more danger than what he had put us in.

A real lesson for me and I am sure I will never ever let rage take over me until and unless its absolutely necessary. Hope this acts as a pointer or helps someone.

The day this happened itself I decided whats right. But I wanted to share this with my fellow HFVians so that if anyone gets into a situation like this knows what right.

Ram
Fortunately, everything went well for you and more importantly for your wife. I can understand you losing your cool, probably because of your wife being in the car and potential risk to her could have triggered the reaction. However, it is better to let it go as you know by now. Anyway thanks for sharing your experience as it is something to reflect on for everyone. It takes courage to admit publicly what you think is wrong. My best wishes.

Moreover ,
In MBR's case, it is outright case of assault and battery against him ; with zero chance of giving any excuse for it in legal way.
It would be open and shut case if the other guy took down MBR's car no and register a complaint.
It would be an uphill or impossible task for MBR to justify his assault.

thanks

EXACTLY.

This is the reason, I even posted this, though I know I will receive enough brick bats for what I did. Hopefully this will help our members be cognizant if they ever get into such situation, I was plain lucky this time.

In my earlier years i have done these bashings when they drove in such a way where i was put at big inconvenience, in-fact on two occasions i had hit even beggars when they were nagging me constantly and passed adversest remarks.

In the recent years i have not done such things because i feel it is not wise by any standards. I always keep a watch on my rear driving mirror, the moment i know someone is not driving correctly etc, i see to it that i let him pass. I always keep loose coins in my car, if there is a beggar who asks me money, i always give. In recent times there was a instance when someone banged my car, and they were the bad people, i did not say a word, i just smiled, the repairs cos ted me 3000/- rupees. I happily ignore these expenses and treat it as though it is a business loss, like in my line of activity daily we make or loose money.

V.

Dear MBR,

Never break the rule of law. Things would have gone bad, if a FIR was lodged against you for assault, voluntarily causing grievous hurt etc under Indian Penal Code.

It is noted that you are a boxer, by chance if the punch would have been fatal, even the best lawyers will find it difficult to defend your case. Things will be tough, I don't want to elaborate further on the subject. It is not to scare you or any one, but the ground reality will be totally different for an accused or under trial prisoner.

Have a cup of tea or coffee, forget the issue and relax.

cool dude,

cheers

I have always looked at such situations from a different perspective. Right from college days, I have never backed out of a fight. From handling hospitals and police with accident victims in Delhi to tripping and smashing a thief on the head in a train to carrying a lead pipe for protection against Durga Puja goondas in Calcutta - I have always faced the situation head one.

When I commit an error, I will be the first one to accept it. When I don't commit an error and some one else does it, I will never take it lying down. I have handled people on the roads, in airports, and even railways stations for something as simple as breaking a queue. In Chennai airport, I once slapped an inebriated passenger for misbehavior, and handed him over to the police who were standing around and watching the whole thamasha. The police then came to me beyond immigration to thank me !!

What I say is this. Protecting your family and loved ones is your utmost duty, irrespective of the consequences. In a situation such as what Ram did, yes, there is an element of risk. But, if you sit down to calculate the risk, you will find yourselves back footing and losing the initiative.

Yes, Ram could have been arrested or booked for assault. But if explained properly to the police, I am sure that could also have been solved. After all he had other drivers who helped him. I would have gone to the extent of holding the driver, calling the police, and getting him booked for rash and negligent driving.

If you remember, I had a similar incident where I was threatened with being abusive to a woman when I questioned a motorcycle driver. When the police sargeant saw my determination, he knew I was correct and booked the motorcycle driver.

One of the biggest issues we all have is the fear of going to a police station. Once you get rid of that fear, you will handle situations differently.

You should feel proud of what you did Ram.

Cheers

last time I read about the road rage in delhi/ gurgaon - the bike person called more bikers and killed they all killed the driver on the spot. It was the bikers fault due to which spat started. So be careful, and also, don't turn into those who kill.

My take:

• I was totally surprised the first time i read your post.It was like from a movie! Although everyone (incl. me) agrees that punching was not best thing to do, I salute your courage.Also shows the importance of being fit.Even if we are not to start a fight, atleast we should be able to deal with someones assault..instead of taking it lying down.I'll take my Gym more seriously from now on.:)

• Other than those risks associated with the opponent, another downside is the sizeable time it takes to cool down after such incidents.If we are to face an interview or other important work afterwards we definitely would not be at our best.Any one would have got spiked at such unruly behaviour but I guess the key is maintaining composure at all times for our own good.

Back