Roksan Kandy LIII INTEGRATED Amplier

S.P.KRISHNA

I"was offered a second hand 2006 make Roksan Kandy LIII INTEGRATED Amplifier for Rs.35k , which I have not seen and auditioned. Can any one advise me on this brand and its performance as I am interested to audition it only after some positive inputs from the users . I want to drive wharf 9.5 . My preference is Highs and Mids . Another option is Cambridge AZUR 640 at 22k .

Thanks

ROKSAN: Kandy Integrated Amplifier L.III

I think audiophiles in general have to say good things about Roksan Kandy amps. But as you know now a days many manufactures have degraded their quality so wait for the biggies to give their comments

Seeing the specs it can easily handle your 9.6 speakers

I"was offered a second hand 2006 make Roksan Kandy LIII INTEGRATED Amplifier for Rs.35k , which I have not seen and auditioned. Can any one advise me on this brand and its performance as I am interested to audition it only after some positive inputs from the users . I want to drive wharf 9.5 . My preference is Highs and Mids . Another option is Cambridge AZUR 640 at 22k .

Thanks

This is a very very good amplifier. It will drive almost any speaker beautifully. In fact, once you buy it, you can easily upgrade your speakers later.
The price though, is a little high. You should settle for 28-30k and no more.

One more thing, The Roksan is the next level, when compared to the azur. A new piece costs 2.5 times the Azur...

The price though, is a little high. You should settle for 28-30k and no more.[/QUOTE]

The seller says that he had purchased it for 65k and any way I will ,as you advised , will ask around 26k and the cambridge Amp is also used for 3 months and the offer is for 22k and I propose around 15k if the bargain with Kandy does not come through.

Regards

The price though, is a little high. You should settle for 28-30k and no more.

The seller says that he had purchased it for 65k and any way I will ,as you advised , will ask around 26k and the cambridge Amp is also used for 3 months and the offer is for 22k and I propose around 15k if the bargain with Kandy does not come through.

Regards[/QUOTE]

Try for the Kandy. It is really good. It'll be a much better long term investment...

I would suggest it for cambridge audio azur as it will be best for speakers that you have.

if go for Roksan Kandy than you will at least need Quad 22L speakers.

I beg to differ from here Krishna , I have heard the Roksan connected to the Mission M35 , the amplifier struggles in the higher volumes and there is no Dynamic impact at lesser volumes. If you want the amp to drive the speakers even in low volumes then Roksan is not for you , If you listen in louder volumes even then the Roksan is not for you. According to me this amplifier works well with a good Bookshelf speakers. It lacks the power to bring the best out of a Floorstander.

I beg to differ from here Krishna , I have heard the Roksan connected to the Mission M35 , the amplifier struggles in the higher volumes and there is no Dynamic impact at lesser volumes. If you want the amp to drive the speakers even in low volumes then Roksan is not for you , If you listen in louder volumes even then the Roksan is not for you. According to me this amplifier works well with a good Bookshelf speakers. It lacks the power to bring the best out of a Floorstander.

Sir,

Thanks for your input . But the Amp is rated at 120 + 120. Should I settle with cambridge.

Regards

Hi,
If it was me, I would go for the Kandy....and I have a CA 550A V2 which is very good for the price...its just that the Kandy is in a different league...if you could audition the pair with your speakers, do so...

Hi:

Two things are possible.

> You buy Roksan now and drive the Diamond only IF you plan to change your speakers down the line.

> Get the 640 now and drive the Diamond only IF you plan to keep the speakers for a very long time.

My vote would be for the 640 + Diamond, very musical.

:)

I happen to listen to Kandy L3 with different speakers and noticed that the highs are rather sharp and not to my liking. But that's just my impression of their sound. It's a highly rated amp and at an appropriate used price, it is way better than the compared CA amp. However, check out the whathifi forums as I have seen a thread of two complaining about reliability issues with this amp - may be it will explain why the seller wants to sell an otherwise excellent amp.

PS: Looks like Vinod's suggestion is the way to go.

Sir,

Thanks for your input . But the Amp is rated at 120 + 120. Should I settle with cambridge.

Regards

Hi SPK , Yes This amp is rated as 120 watts , but i doubt if its true. When i auditioned this LIII with the Mission, the sound was not in control, the bass was shattered and the hi freq was not right --but this was at higher volumes. A 120 watt amplifier should drive a speaker pretty decently in lower volumes also. But the Roksan is not capable of this too. kindly audition it and check with your speakers.

I forums as I have seen a thread of two complaining about reliability issues with this amp - may be it will explain why the seller wants to sell an otherwise excellent amp.

Sir,

May be the reason why the seller want to part with it for half of its purchase price within 3 years . I will try to know the reason and let you know.

Regards

I happen to listen to Kandy L3 with different speakers and noticed that the highs are rather sharp and not to my liking. But that's just my impression of their sound. It's a highly rated amp and at an appropriate used price, it is way better than the compared CA amp. However, check out the whathifi forums as I have seen a thread of two complaining about reliability issues with this amp - may be it will explain why the seller wants to sell an otherwise excellent amp.

Sir,
Checked the review of the amp with whathifi.com . It was rated the best for the year 2006. Generally the reviews of whathifi appears to be positive towards the products of Western make than that of Japanese.

Regards

Generally the reviews of whathifi appears to be positive towards the products of Western make than that of Japanese.

You got it all wrong. They (WHFSV), love Marantz to the core - just for a starter: the PM6002/PM6003 and their cdp's are their favorite budget products, subsequently winning the coveted 'product of the year awards'.

:)

Hi Krishna,

I thought I would check whether you finally bought the Roksan and are happy with it. What was the final price?

I ask because I am being offered a used Roksan Kandy (version unspecified) for 40k in Mumbai. The seller mentioned its a 110 watts per channel unit with phono inputs (important to me as I'm a vinyl buff). If you like the sound and build quality of your unit I'll also go ahead. More on reading your next post.

Thanks and regards.

Mirofflex,
See my PM. Absolutely no chance to contact the person who offerred me the amp.. My advise is if you cannot physically see and audition the amp, better to stay away from it and invest that 40k on marantz amp probably on the latest PM 7004.

REGARDS

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back