ROON and RAAT

One issue, why isnt my tidal account working in Roon. I can log in to Tidal on web, but not inside Roon, is it because it needs an active Tidal subscription? coz mine is expired as of now.

Yes. You need an active subscription?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okeyy if core has server as well, why do we have a separate server component. If I want to use Synology for both server and core and use Rpi as my Roon Bridge, whats the way to proceed. I dont want to put my laptop in between, I installed on it just as an experiment. For actual use I want to keep things between NAS and Rpi (or NUC).

What Roon calls a server is the Core module and the Output module.
This should explain to you the software packages.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages

I would not recommend installing Roon on your Synology. It will eventually run out of gas for a large collection.
Instead just install Roon on your RPi and be done with it. Let the NAS do it's own thing.
Just install Roon Server (Core + Output) on your RPi
What you can do is place the backup folder on the NAS as a best practice.
I use three locations for the backup folder - for redundancy.

Regards

Last edited:
What Roon calls a server is the Core module and the Output module.
This should explain to you the software packages.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages

I would not recommend installing Roon on your Synology. It will eventually run out of gas for a large collection.
Instead just install Roon on your RPi and be done with it. Let the NAS do it's own thing.
Just install Roon Server (Core + Output) on your RPi
What you can do is place the backup folder on the NAS as a best practice.
I use three locations for the backup folder - for redundancy.

Regards

Thanks, Nikhil, yes I was finally able to understand the entire working, thanks to you and terrible, spending 7-10 days with ROON also helped and has cleared almost all doubts.
Coming to Synology, I dont think my collection will ever big enough for Synology to run out of gas. I am sure it will have to be a humungous amount of songs and multiple streams as well before a quad-core 8 GB ram machine will surrender. Currently it aint skipping a beat, in any department, so I would just stick with it, but yes if I ever start to face any issue, I now know how to get all shifted to rpi ... :)

Decided to trial Roon while I am trial-ing Tidal.

Am completely blown.

I am not entirely sure if I am not imagining or hearing things but the Roon + Tidal combination sounds better than a) Tidal desktop app or b) the EAC .flac I created from my CD played through F2K

I cannot live without this now.

and my trial period ends ...

ciao
gr

Did you go for a Roon subscription? If you are still considering it, go for an annual subscription.
Maybe do a renewal next year and see what happens with the other players until then.

A year is a long time in software so who knows what will come up next.

Regards

Did you go for a Roon subscription? If you are still considering it, go for an annual subscription.

Thanks Nikhil.

Have signed up for a year. Tidal is on monthly sub.

With my PC based source running F2K and connected S/PDIF optical to my DAC the jump in SQ is huge.

Readily apparent even to disinterested visitors.

I cannot go back to that sound of before Roon :)

Next step is to get USB5 on my DAC maybe. Sometime next year ...

ciao
gr

This thread has kept me hooked for a while. Thanks to all who have been contributing.

There is one thing I can't seem to get past. The actual cost of using Roon. The subscription isn't much at all. I find the associated equipment that is required for Roon to work the way it is supposed to far too much. The kind of compute Roon recommends for it to work well is almost at a level a regular computer would cost. Intel i5, SSD, etc is not what I'd call cheap and to process music. This machine is supposed to be dedicated to serve Roon and nothing else. I am not going to have my desktop running 24/7 just to run Roon. This can be argued cause we do not put a price on the DAC's we buy and that is another cost too. Off course, it is a one time purchase but at almost 40-50k to "process" music, seems quite a bit to me. Then you got to pay for your digital music subscription. Makes me look at the days physical media like CD was considered a prohibitive cost and now we're spending way more for what is essentially a lot more convenient to use.

Hi Sandeep
I agree with you with that needing 2 PC's to run roon is not exactly cheap, specially with requirements of i5 and SSD
But what I feel is they recommend that for best possible speeds
What I am doing now is using my dad's pc as roon server, it's an AMD dual core with a mechanical drive, room and music on same hard disk
It takes ages to make the database but I know I am not using the recemoneded hardware so am ok with that
Once that's done , I feel no difference while playing music. I don't even upsample my music
Roon core I use a decade old dual core Pentium laptop , with a Linux OS

Only thing is that both PC's are strictly connected to router wired and not wirelessly

For me a major difference between daphile and room is that music is more organic and natural like plucks of guitar or any other instruments played

Daphile was already very good but major difference between dpahile and roon is the whole sound is more organic then before

This thread has kept me hooked for a while. Thanks to all who have been contributing.

There is one thing I can't seem to get past. The actual cost of using Roon. The subscription isn't much at all. I find the associated equipment that is required for Roon to work the way it is supposed to far too much. The kind of compute Roon recommends for it to work well is almost at a level a regular computer would cost. Intel i5, SSD, etc is not what I'd call cheap and to process music. This machine is supposed to be dedicated to serve Roon and nothing else. I am not going to have my desktop running 24/7 just to run Roon. This can be argued cause we do not put a price on the DAC's we buy and that is another cost too. Off course, it is a one time purchase but at almost 40-50k to "process" music, seems quite a bit to me. Then you got to pay for your digital music subscription. Makes me look at the days physical media like CD was considered a prohibitive cost and now we're spending way more for what is essentially a lot more convenient to use.

A dual core celeron NUC for around 8-10K will do just fine, (assuming you have an external HDD with all your FLACS) if you are not on to DSDs and are not streaming multiple streams across your house, or you dont have a massive song collection like 100K songs, or something, for normal casual music listener, NUC dual core will do just fine. Install ROCK (Roon Optimized Core Kit) on it, connected it to a DAC and you are good to go. Plus NUC aint going to take more than 20W on load, typically 10-12W,so running 24x7 is no big deal, not to forget the size making it a perfect companion for a home media server.

For me a major difference between daphile and room is that music is more organic and natural like plucks of guitar or any other instruments played

Daphile was already very good but major difference between dpahile and roon is the whole sound is more organic then before

Not to forget the ultimate extensive music cataloging Roon does, which daphile does not, (its not suppose to I know :)) but just saying. Plus the search on Roon is on another level, when you have more than 10K songs, a good searching, with accurate results is a godsend, and Roon excels IMHO.

Not to forget the ultimate extensive music cataloging Roon does, which daphile does not, (its not suppose to I know :)) but just saying. Plus the search on Roon is on another level, when you have more than 10K songs, a good searching, with accurate results is a godsend, and Roon excels IMHO.

Yes Sam
No doubt
But I never expected it to sound so good
Also that even average piece of hardware still can be used for roon, maybe a little less then blazing fast :)

There is one thing I can't seem to get past. The actual cost of using Roon. The subscription isn't much at all. I find the associated equipment that is required for Roon to work the way it is supposed to far too much.

but is not necessary. My music source was supposed to be nothing else. so it is a i3 which i thought was overkill and only onboard graphics. I thought that optical is good on account of galvanic isolation and specified that. Not choices I'd make today, but that is not my point.

The point is that it runs roon fine (unless I minimize that screen, but that is an openGL on intel 2300 issue and not a Roon one). It is a bit slow to load, I could get past that by running core and remote on the same system and using only the remote bit to hear the music without all the delectable eyecandy.

The kind of compute Roon recommends will make it a better experience I guess but sonically I am OTM with what I get (i3, 1tb spinning disk, 4gb ram, optical out) . I am trying to figure out if I can add an external 64GB SSD to hold the catalog etc.

Then you got to pay for your digital music subscription. Makes me look at the days physical media like CD was considered a prohibitive cost and now we're spending way more for what is essentially a lot more convenient to use.

Not just the convenience. The SQ, the experience.

Let me put it this way, I went and got separates and DRC and etyadi etyadi.

Then I got Roon and I am listening to a completely new rich sound, without it the rest of money might as well as not have been spent. And if you will permit me an analogy it was like having a merc AMG to drive about and no key to get out of the garage

ciao
gr

(PS I am not saying my gear is AMG comparable or something)

edit: Tidal sub is not necessary if you have an extensive collection of CDs / flacs. I don't and therefore I need it.

Roon will work just fine on any legacy hardware.
Pick up some old machine, get some hardware upgrades done (128GB SSD and 8MB RAM) and you will have a very decent machine on which Roon will run just fine.

Key is to install the Roon Core on a decent machine. The rest can be any old hardware.

If you have the means just get a decent Core i5/i7 machine and that's all you need.
You really don't need a NAS - just stuff an existing computer with some HDDs for your media storage.
Get a decent unmanaged network switch to handle the network traffic and you are done.

Roon really earns it's price with the sound quality. But when it activates so many devices you realize the power of the software.
Once you have your Core setup, you can control it from almost any kind of Remote (iPhone, Android, iPad etc).
In my place it sniffed out two old AppleTVs that I had on my home network one of which serves as a "Roon Bridge" for my bedroom.

In my opinion, Roon is unmatched in optimizing use of legacy hardware.

Regards.

Thanks Nikhil.

Have signed up for a year. Tidal is on monthly sub.

I wanted to try TIDAL over the past weekend but got an error message when I clicked the "Tidal Premium" button.
Has anybody else faced the same issue while trying to register/try for TIDAL subscriptions?

Regards.

I wanted to try TIDAL over the past weekend but got an error message when I clicked the "Tidal Premium" button.
Has anybody else faced the same issue while trying to register/try for TIDAL subscriptions?

Regards.

Maybe you have already done this, I'll suggest anyway. Try registering with a US IP, may work.

Yes you need to register with US IP
Once that's done you can login without any VPN and it will work

Success! Thanks for the information guys.

Have been exploring all evening and found that basic Tidal Streaming is not that good.
Only after changing to Tidal Hifi that you get lossless quality (16bit /44.1KHz)

Will have to explore some more and decide if it is worth subscribing for.

Regards.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back