Royal Opera House, Mumbai

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

A couple of weekends ago we were at the renovated Royal Opera House at Chowpatty, Mumbai. This was the first time I was visiting this classically decorated piece of city history as well as a cozy little play theatre. And the play was a dance drama written by Ila Arun and directed by KK Raina, both legendary artists who also acted as lead roles. With a large actor ensemble, and wonderfully choreographed dances to music set in Kashmir, where the story unfolds, the play was a musical as well as visual treat, apart from holding the audience with the story’s premise and development.

What struck me instantly the moment the first song sequence come on was the speakers! May be because with the audio journey over last three years my sense for sound has sharpened, but I found myself gawking at the speakers as I was watching the dance. I don’t know much about pro audio, but I have heard performances at many a venue in Mumbai, and found this was different! I don’t know if better, but different!

And that difference could hold my attention and interest throughout the play which was full of dance (traditional) and music (folk). First of all, I’d like to say that this sound was very unlike a typical auditorium sound. It was not loud! One way I can describe it is as optimum volume with high degree of clarity and resolution. The bass was striking in that it had no boom or even heaviness in it, yet it was going deep. Never overwhelming, but always detailed. I could get inside the bass and hear each note in the multi-instrument music. In terms of tonality the sound wasn’t dull or boring, but not bright either. Dialogues were of course involving in terms of (both content and) the sound.

2C93D740-E5B6-4751-9A1F-A55A647AA698.jpeg
(You can see the slim little speakers at a height on either side of the stage)

I have no idea what speakers those are. If anyone knows, please update. Also if you’ve attended a performance at the Royal Opera House, please write about your experience. As for myself, I look forward to visit this place again not just for the experimental theatre performances or its lovely classic decor which transports you to a different era, but even a sound system that perhaps is design to take you back to that era.

// Moderator Note:
// This thread was created based on the OP's comments from another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a JBL Line Array speaker setup details of which are on page 11 of below file:

Wow, great find! I dug a bit on the JBL and here are it’s specs

Unfortunately, I can’t make head or tail out of it. Can some of you who are knowledgeable here can throw light on what kind of sound characteristics would these specs translate into? And does that anywhere match the subjective perception I wrote in the message above?

Here’s the sub-compact’s brochure:

The Indian price seems to be Rs 75 lacs (not sure if for a pair) as per this site. How’s that - above/below average for such a venue?

Also, there’s the sub-woofers. How are they?
Subwoofer spec:
Subwoofer brochure (last page):

Also, can someone help put these speakers and sub woofers into perspective in terms of speakers generally used in auditoriums across the country/world

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back