RPi 3 As Media Center And Torrent Box

Here in this case. we are not discussing about phone. We want to play content using rpi (may be using kodi) and play it on TV (Which is not a smart one) and not physically connected to rpi.

Just tried different thing, I am able to push media from my windows 7 PC to my smartphone. it plays perfectly. Reverse thing does not happened. The same we want to achieve using rpi.
I think there are two constraints on mobile, the upnp server software that you are using will determine what all things it can transcode on the fly depending on target device capability to play media (this is apparent more for videos) and the processor power the device can deliver for the transcoding process. My 3 yrs back experience with bubble upnp on phones was that it's video transcoding capabilities aren't that great. On desktop (windows) my experience is that upto an i5 processor may be required for transcoding some video formats depending on how old your playback device is (your tv in this case). So keep in mind that your rpi may have bottlenecks on case by case basis. So my recommendation is that for video better go for connected rpi+kodi rather than upnp stream to old tv.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic using TapaTalk

I don't think this way it is possible. He want Miracast like feature. While using Buble UPNp we can stream music/video but can't cast the screen.

He is not asking about screen mirroring, and if this had not been possible I wouldn't be suggesting it, its not just like that people trust on my recommendations and suggestions .....

Isn't the relationship between speed of broadband and mem card write speed obvious? I mean if I am downloading a 15 Gig file at peering of 80 mbps and my mem card write speed is just 1MBps ~ 8 mbps then the added advantage of download speed I am unable to realize correct? .

Nope not correct, the mem card write speed is not even touched here, till the time the file is downloaded. You can try, get a class 2 card, hardly 100 bucks, and download a file on it using IDM or something, note the speed and then download on normal laptop hdd, and see if there is any difference.

. We want to play content using rpi (may be using kodi) and play it on TV (Which is not a smart one) and not physically connected to rpi.

Yes that is what I have suggested can be done, with Rpi running Kodi and a TV that supports UPnP/DLNA protocol with BubbleUPnP. If both are on the same wifi network

I think there are two constraints on mobile, the upnp server software that you are using will determine what all things it can transcode on the fly depending on target device capability to play media (this is apparent more for videos) and the processor power the device can deliver for the transcoding process. My 3 yrs back experience with bubble upnp on phones was that it's video transcoding capabilities aren't that great. On desktop (windows) my experience is that upto an i5 processor may be required for transcoding some video formats depending on how old your playback device is (your tv in this case). So keep in mind that your rpi may have bottlenecks on case by case basis. So my recommendation is that for video better go for connected rpi+kodi rather than upnp stream to old tv.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic using TapaTalk

Just disable video transcoding on wifi/Eth in bubbleUPnP settings, you anyhow wont need transcoding on local lan ....unless its a very heavy bitrate file and you are on wifi n maybe ... Plus I dont think transcoding works on 3rd party renderer, like TVs and Rpis, it works for local renderer only (i.e mobile). I might be wrong, though, as TV anyhow isnt capable to transcode, a media player/PC is..... never tried transcoding via bubble so not sure here ....

Last edited:
Just disable video transcoding on wifi/Eth in bubbleUPnP settings, you anyhow wont need transcoding on local lan ....unless its a very heavy bitrate file and you are on wifi n maybe ... ....

That is wrong. Local LAN has no relationship to transcoding. It all depends on if the renderer (TV or PS3 or any media player) is able to directly play the content in the source format or not and along with what you rightly mentioned at the source bitrate. If not, transcoding is required to convert the stream into more renderer readable format / bitrate. If your TV does not support FLV but supports MPEG2 then UPNP server must transcode to MPEG2 (TV / UPNP renderer usually advertises what all format it supports to UPNP server and when it does not happen correctly one need to set the correct profile for the renderer in the UPNP server by specifying when to transcode and when to not) in order to stream to your TV. Same way if for example you have a old Sony DVD Player that is UPNP capable but does not support FLAC then you need the UPNP server to convert to mp3 or other RAW formats supported. Bitrate constraints if you have like you pointed out due to the network bandwidth or far away wifi hence limited throughput or any other factors then also transcoding to downsize is useful. My point is transcoding eats CPU power and even my Core I3 laptop sometimes fell short of juice doing it resulting in stutter of video where one Core i5 laptop I saw did wonders with not even 10-20% CPU usage. So RPI can be a bottleneck here considering the amount of transcoding required on a case to case basis and anyone is free to try out but should not buy a RPI just for the sake of having a full fledged upnp streamer.

Plus I dont think transcoding works on 3rd party renderer, like TVs and Rpis, it works for local renderer only (i.e mobile). ....
I was on the same page with you a few years back on this. I did not have that great respect for bubbleupnp earlier but seems from recent updates that it does support video transcoding on Android. Regarding RPI I see from the below thread that its a still a lot of hassle
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=102021

Nope not correct, the mem card write speed is not even touched here, till the time the file is downloaded. You can try, get a class 2 card, hardly 100 bucks, and download a file on it using IDM or something, note the speed and then download on normal laptop hdd, and see if there is any difference.

OK enlighten me on this situation, I have a 15 GB file to download, the download speed is 10 MB/s and confirmed from laptop. Per your theory the download speed of the same file using an Rpi 2 (that has only 1 GB of RAM with say 50% free for paging / caching) will be same be it on a class2 pen drive / flash card vs a class 10?

^^ now you have changes the scenario, now you are projecting the limitation on Rpi Ram with less cache/paging). Ram does play a role while downloading, (even though 1 GB is pretty enough) BUT here I am arguing on the read/write speed of the mem card on which we are downloading the file. That will not make any difference, be it class 2 or 10....as I said try that yourself .... :)

^^ now you have changes the scenario, now you are projecting the limitation on Rpi Ram with less cache/paging). Ram does play a role while downloading, (even though 1 GB is pretty enough) BUT here I am arguing on the read/write speed of the mem card on which we are downloading the file. That will not make any difference, be it class 2 or 10....as I said try that yourself .... :)

This was always my scenario. My point being that given the 100 mbps speed for USB + LAN ports that was pointed out (frankly I never thought that) for a 10MBps actual available download throughput the actual speed will be limited by the total 100mbps ~ 12MBps LAN+USB speed and the media card max write speed. So spending a lot on costly pen drive with high write speed will not boost the situation. we cannot get past this 100 mbps limitation, put down in some cases.

Btw, off topic, remembering old days, I had followed your funda on squeezeplay and setup a server at home and streamed songs on mobile while on my way to office in the bus. It was a far remote place and moment the connection dropped I could understand office was near :) such a remote place did not have even stable 2G during those days :)

This was always my scenario. My point being that given the 100 mbps speed for USB + LAN ports that was pointed out (frankly I never thought that) for a 10MBps actual available download throughput the actual speed will be limited by the total 100mbps ~ 12MBps LAN+USB speed and the media card max write speed. So spending a lot on costly pen drive with high write speed will not boost the situation. we cannot get past this 100 mbps limitation, put down in some cases.

Not sure about the calculation, but you can safely remove "the media card max write speed" from the equation ...:)

I don't know what the read/write limitations for class 2 memory cards are, and I have always used class 10 myself, but I don't think it would be the bottleneck in the case of the Raspberry Pi. If you are using a smartphone and doing 4K video recording, then yes the SD card would be a limitation and you would need the absolute best to cope up with the need for 4K video recording.

I have a gigabit network, both wired and wireless, however I have never seen those speeds in anything. The hardware in my case is the limitation, being limited to SATA 1, 2, and 3, as well as SSD, USB 3.0, etc. In theory though, even SATA 1 should give me those speeds (SATA 1 supports 1.5Gb/s), but never achieved in real life.

Is there any issue if I connect my seagate 2.5 inch 1 TB external HDD to Rasberry PI 3, asking this coz I have seen many post on about this issue, is it so? I want to know this coz I am planning to get RPI 3, but if RPI 3 is not reading my external HDD, then it's useless for me.... pls tell about solution too if any.

Is there any issue if I connect my seagate 2.5 inch 1 TB external HDD to Rasberry PI 3, asking this coz I have seen many post on about this issue, is it so? I want to know this coz I am planning to get RPI 3, but if RPI 3 is not reading my external HDD, then it's useless for me.... pls tell about solution too if any.
Amit,
As far as I know RPi3 wont have any issue in reading/writting your external hard disk. The only thing is you will have to externally power up the hard disk as RPi3 may not be able to give enough power to the 1TB hard disk you connect and there by failing to detect the connected hard disk.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong? Also can any one using HDD with RPi, give the link of additional power supply that can be purchased for powering up the HDD if necessary?

Last edited:
But my seagate 2.5 inch 1TB external HDD has only 1 slot which connect to USB port, there is no separate power slot, then how can I power up the HDD externally.

I have a 1TB Seagate hard disk connected to the Pi3 and it works like a charm. So no issues connecting a hard disk to the Pi. Infact you can even connect 2 1TB hard disks:eek:hyeah:.

But my seagate 2.5 inch 1TB external HDD has only 1 slot which connect to USB port, there is no separate power slot, then how can I power up the HDD externally.

In that case, use a powered USB Hub. The HUB will power the Hard Disk. Something like this: QuantumZERO QZ-HB05 USB 3.0 4-Port 12V 2.5A Powered Hub [VIA VL812 Rev B2 Chipset] [12V 2.5A Power Adapter included]

MaSh

still i didn't understand how will I use this power hub with PI 3, sorry if I am not getting the simple thing, but please tell, there is only one socket in my HDD, if I put this one's cable to power hub socket, then how can I attach HDD to PI 3, as the cable is already engage to powerhub....

However, I have just ordered RPI 3 from amazon.in @ Rs. 2810/-, I think this is lowest rate of RPI 3 till date, they are offering this in 48hrs sale carnival. If anybody interested then order immediately.

For all of you going over and over again with the hdd question, buy a good power supply for the pi, set max usb current to 1 (either in config.txt for raspbian or in osmc/openelec/xbian settings) and directly connect the hdd to the usb of the pi. It will mount just fine..my seagate 1tb is always on with my pi2. A good power supply is all you need. If more than one hdd is needed then only you need to go for a powered hub.
@amit you connect the hdd to the hub, the hub's usb goes to the pi.A 5v supply gives enough juice to the hub to power all usb's.

Last edited:
still i didn't understand how will I use this power hub with PI 3, sorry if I am not getting the simple thing, but please tell, there is only one socket in my HDD, if I put this one's cable to power hub socket, then how can I attach HDD to PI 3, as the cable is already engage to powerhub....

Hard Disk to the HUB. Hub to the Pi.

However, I have just ordered RPI 3 from amazon.in @ Rs. 2810/-, I think this is lowest rate of RPI 3 till date, they are offering this in 48hrs sale carnival. If anybody interested then order immediately.
Amit, could you please post the link with the quoted price?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back