RPi 3 As Media Center And Torrent Box

Hi Friends,

Just received my RPi3 :yahoo:, Installed Openelec for Kodi and added add-on Transmission for seeding torrents to connected 64GB thumb drive.

Will give detailed review once every thing is tested and working well.

Which torrent add on you are using in openelec?

I am using RPi3 (openelec) to watch movies in my pendrive (pendrive connected to Rpi3 USB port) over TV.
Current set up: Rpi3's HDMI -----(HDMI cable)----->TV's HDMI.
My LG tv is a smart tv and is connected to local wifi network. The Rpi3 is also connected to the same local wifi network. Now my requirment is, will it be possible to eliminate the HDMI wired connection inbetween Rpi3 and LG TV and stream Kodi interface as such form Rpi3 to LG TV over the shared wifi network? With this I should get the beautiful Kodi interface and watch movies from Kodi(which is fetched from pendrive) in my TV.
Please help guys.

I am using RPi3 (openelec) to watch movies in my pendrive (pendrive connected to Rpi3 USB port) over TV.
My LG tv is a smart tv and is connected to local wifi network. The Rpi3 is also connected to the same local wifi network. Now my requirment is, will it be possible to eliminate the HDMI wired connection inbetween Rpi3 and LG TV and stream Kodi interface as such form Rpi3 to LG TV over the shared wifi network? With this I should get the beautiful Kodi interface and watch movies from Kodi(which is fetched from pendrive) in my TV.
Please help guys.

Sounds like too much work. Why not plug the pen drive direct to TV?

A better way is to have either Chromecast or Roku connected to AVR or TV and have a media server running on a PC or NAS and use Plex app. It works very well.

Another option is to have a HTPC/Mac Mini/Intel NUC running Kodi and connect to AVR/TV.

Pi 3 is not powerful enough in terms of h/w for video streaming and also b/w is limited. All comes down to what format and file size are you looking to stream.

I use wifi streaming all over home for audio, very easily done and works well too. But video has its own requirements, especially HD audio and video. HD audio does not stream wireless unless you are running a media server like Plex and using its app... I'm not sure how well Kodi does this. Might or not... I'll let others chime in here, but wireless is a limitation for HD audio and video.

See if your smart TV has Plex app (or even Kodi app) or can be installed. Then run either Plex or Kodi on a PC/Laptop or even the Pi and it should work. Large files though may buffer via the Pi or even be transcoded down.

I use a HTPC + GPU with madVR via HDMI. That's the best way to do it. I also run Plex server on my NAS and use the Plex app... its good too, just not the same PQ as a PC + GPU with madVR.

Please help guys.

The only way to do this is, if your TV has Kodi app. (u wont need Rpi in that case) If Kodi is running on Rpi, then it has to be connected to TV via HDMI (no other way). Another option is again if you TV has PLEX app, but then the bottleneck is you have to have a plex server running separately all the time.

I am not sure why you want to go this way. If Rpi running kodi is connected to your TV via HDMI you still MUST be getting the same beautiful Kodi interface to watch movies????

I am not sure why you want to go this way. If Rpi running kodi is connected to your TV via HDMI you still MUST be getting the same beautiful Kodi interface to watch movies????

My objective was to eliminate as much as wires running arround the TV and Rpi. :p

The Rpi running Openelec is connected to internet over wifi and is downloading torrents to connected pen-drive using transmission add-on. Every thing works perfect. But if i turn off/restarts the router the RPi is not able to resume the downloading.
I checked the router UI page(192.168.1.1) on restart, and can see that Rpi is not connected to the wifi network.I have to restart the RPi to get it re-connectedt to the wifi and to resume download. Is there any thing that I need to configure in RPi/openelec to get it connected back when a network comes back?

even if the router is restarted, the rpi should be able to reconnect. Not sure where things might be wrong, I would however try using LAN and no wifi with Rpi and then restart the router and see if it manages to reconnect. That would be my first troubleshooting step.

I have been using Raspberry Pi (RPI) Model B for three years now. Currently running OpenElec 6.0.3 and Kodi.
My setup is probably the simplest.
RPI is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma ST60 (for video).
RPI has 3.5 mm analog output which is connected to my 10 year old iBall Nirantar Wood speakers which gives me 2.1 channel output.

I have no complains on the video department, but for audio, I would like to upgrade to 5.1 channel (which means I need to buy a good set of speakers - and also figure out how to avoid wires across the walls).

From what I have read, there is another problem. Panasonic Plasma ST60 does not do passthrough of 5.1 channel sound over SPDIF/ optical out, if the inbuilt tuner is not used.

This means, if I simply buy new 5.1 channel speakers and connect them to my TV directly, I will get 5.1 channel output from YouTube played on my TV, but I will get only stereo for movies played from RPI.

So, I am considering other options such as upgrading my RPI to RPI 3 and buying some circuit board which can give optical out and connect the speaker system to the RPI. (This solves the problem of 5.1 channel output from movies, but creates another one - YouTube videos will give out only stereo output -since TV will have no connection with the speakers)

One such option I came across was for $40.

Aliexpress.com : Buy X600 Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B / Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspberry pi Music Player from Reliable board color suppliers on Geekworm official store

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have been using Raspberry Pi (RPI) Model B for three years now. Currently running OpenElec 6.0.3 and Kodi.
RPI has 3.5 mm analog output which is connected to my 10 year old iBall Nirantar Wood speakers which gives me 2.1 channel output.

I have no complains on the video department, but for audio, I would like to upgrade to 5.1 channel (which means I need to buy a good set of speakers - and also figure out how to avoid wires across the walls).

From what I have read, there is another problem. Panasonic Plasma ST60 does not do passthrough of 5.1 channel sound over SPDIF/ optical out, if the inbuilt tuner is not used.

This means, if I simply buy new 5.1 channel speakers and connect them to my TV directly, I will get 5.1 channel output from YouTube played on my TV, but I will get only stereo for movies played from RPI.

So, I am considering other options such as upgrading my RPI to RPI 3 and buying some circuit board which can give optical out and connect the speaker system to the RPI. (This solves the problem of 5.1 channel output from movies, but creates another one - YouTube videos will give out only stereo output -since TV will have no connection with the speakers)

Aliexpress.com : Buy X600 Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B / Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspberry pi Music Player from Reliable board color suppliers on Geekworm official store

Sorry No idea. May be you need to open a new independent post to get more attention.

I havent thought over the entire solution, but you have made the scenario much more complex, that it actually has to be .....:)

I havent thought over the entire solution, but you have made the scenario much more complex, that it actually has to be .....:)

Well, I am trying to solve a simple problem: upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1 channel.

I would at the same time want to stick to RPI and OpenElec (maybe buy a RPI 3) since it is cost effective and suffices my needs for a media center.

But since RPI does not give me digital output nor gives me 5.1 channels, I need to add something there.

Plus I need to buy the actual speaker set.

And finally, since I watch a lot of YouTube on the TV itself, I would need some way to connect the new 5.1 channel speakers to the TV (maybe via optical or HDMI).

Edit: I tried to put this in a picture format now.
TV setup.jpg

Edit: I do not wish to buy an AVR costing 30000 Rs and then 5.1 channel speakers costing another 15000 Rs.

Last edited:

Well, I am trying to solve a simple problem: upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1 channel.

Edit: I do not wish to buy an AVR costing 30000 Rs and then 5.1 channel speakers costing another 15000 Rs.

The easiest solution would be an AVR obviously.

A couple of options are...
1. HiFiBerry Digi+ or something similar to extract audio from the Pi and send to speakers and HDMI to TV for video.
2. A combo of HDMI Splitter/HDMI Audio Splitter and HDMI Audio Extractor to send video to TV and audio to speakers.

These would be a cheaper solution to an AVR, however depending on your budget a HTIB would be an excellent option and starting from 25K to 30K onwards would blow away any PC or multimedia speaker solution. I've been using HTIBs with my PCs for years now (TV shows, video streaming, gaming, YouTube, etc.) and can highly recommend them. True 5.1/7.1 sound, decodes all audio formats, and way better than any computer or multimedia speaker package. A soundbar with HDMI input and output (to TV) would also be a solution... just have not seen any with these specs.

^^ if you port fw make sure to make it secure, else you will be hacked in within days ..... keep a strong password and if possible use SSL to communicate from the outside network ....

^^ if you port fw make sure to make it secure, else you will be hacked in within days ..... keep a strong password and if possible use SSL to communicate from the outside network ....

Thanks Sam for pointing it out. Dont have any prior experience with such a situation. All I want is to control the transmission (bit-torrent client) addon of openelec insatlled in Rpi out side my local network.
Can you please let me know if there is any secure way to achieve this functionality?

Thanks Sam for pointing it out. Dont have any prior experience with such a situation. All I want is to control the transmission (bit-torrent client) addon of openelec insatlled in Rpi out side my local network.
Can you please let me know if there is any secure way to achieve this functionality?

Why not get a Pi remote app? Or Transmission remote app? Both should work and be more secure and also less geeky.

Why not get a Pi remote app? Or Transmission remote app? Both should work and be more secure and also less geeky.
I do have Transmission remote app in my android phone. But its limited only for usage in local network. As soon as i move out of my house, i wont be able to access/view the torrent progress.
Is there any way Trasmission remote app can view the seeding progress outside local network so that I can download a new torrent when some others have finished?
Ideal Scenario:
Suppose I place a 20 gb file for download and leave to office. If that 20 gb file download is completed by noon, I would like to check and add a new torrent to the download list of my Rpi, so that I can ensure that my Rpi is not sitting idle till I reach back home in the night.

Last edited:

I do have Transmission remote app in my android phone. But its limited only for usage in local network. As soon as i move out of my house, i wont be able to access/view the torrent progress.
Is there any way Trasmission remote app can view the seeding progress outside local network so that I can download a new torrent when some others have finished?
Ideal Scenario:
Suppose I place a 20 gb file for download and leave to office. If that 20 gb file download is completed by noon, I would like to check and add a new torrent to the download list of my Rpi, so that I can ensure that my Rpi is not sitting idle till I reach back home in the night.

VPN is the most secure way, but that needs a bit time and effort to setup, plus the hardware. Installing SSL and keeping a very strong password will usually do the trick. Installing SSL also is a bit tricky depending on the OS, like OpenELEC is on Linux. On windows it fairly easy. You have to decided how much risk you wanna take or give yourself the pain to google, read, understand and setup everything.

If SSL is not your game other security measure can be taken which are easy like not using static port fw and instead use port triggering, or simply do not use the common intended port for transmission app, instead use a different external port mapped to the actual internal port transmission uses .....

And yes fw your transmission app port towards the ip of the server its running WILL give you the access to open it via your mobile on 3G/4G, you can then add/delete torrents from anywhere.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back