Sabaj 500w ICE amps - the budget friendly amp?

Very confusing. The label says 'power amplifier' and the manual says input sensitivity is 280mV. Nowhere does it say it is an integrated amplifier. Most probably they have added a inexpensive pre-amp on the sly, but dont want to attract any attention to it. Typical ChiFi gimmick.

Cheers

At 8/4 ohms this amp is ~70Wpc/125Wpc in stereo mode. The claimed SNR (117 dB) seems to be good on paper.
@k_vijay12, please post your impressions of this amp after it settles into your rig.

Cheers,
Raghu

The attraction is the price/performance.

I feel this products price is highly VFM
How would you qualify this as VFM or good price/performance vis-a-vis say Parasound products that I had suggested?
Is there a metric to follow?

Disclaimer:
I have not heard either this unit or Parasound's Class D offerings

Cheers,
Raghu

Not all amps with knobs are IAs. Power amps use knobs for setting levels and not for adjusting volume..! You set the max level with the knob on the PA and control volume on the pre amp!
if you can see crown amps this is how it deals as well! Or check crown amp review from Zeos!

Very confusing. The label says 'power amplifier' and the manual says input sensitivity is 280mV. Nowhere does it say it is an integrated amplifier. Most probably they have added a inexpensive pre-amp on the sly, but dont want to attract any attention to it. Typical ChiFi gimmick.

Cheers
That's only for stereo mode, for mono mode it's a power amp.. this is my understanding

Not all amps with knobs are IAs. Power amps use knobs for setting levels and not for adjusting volume..! You set the max level with the knob on the PA and control volume on the pre amp!
if you can see crown amps this is how it deals as well! Or check crown amp review from Zeos!
Not sure I understand this correctly... Preamp purpose is to convert a weak input signal in to steady and stable one and send to power amp. A volume controller (potentiometer) essentially adjusts the amount of current passed to power amp. More current means more heat/ electrical energy is sent to speaker...

Please correct me if I m wrong

At 8/4 ohms this amp is ~70Wpc/125Wpc in stereo mode. The claimed SNR (117 dB) seems to be good on paper.
@k_vijay12, please post your impressions of this amp after it settles into your rig.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yet to get the Amp. Still in transit. Just got the customs charges for smooth processing. Hoping to get in next 1 week.

Not sure I understand this correctly... Preamp purpose is to convert a weak input signal in to steady and stable one and send to power amp. A volume controller (potentiometer) essentially adjusts the amount of current passed to power amp. More current means more heat/ electrical energy is sent to speaker...

Please correct me if I m wrong
yes preamp converts the low signal to around 2V or 0.7V etc.. but if a high volt pre-amp out is connected (Eg 4Vrms), the gain on the power amplifier will drive the system to clipping levels easily. how do we limit the max power going to the system in this case? limit the gain level, such that high output preamps cannot distort or clip the system!
eg. with my gain level at 100% on PA, sending a 2V signal will a certain level of output. Now sending the 4V signal will essentially double the output and clip the system! so, the gain is set to 50% for 4V signal, so that the output is always normalized!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Raghu
If the parasound is available at Rs 20k, then I will be tempted.

This product uses the tried and tested popular ICE POWER module. 125ASX2

A pair of this my backup plan. I am actually waiting for the Topping PA9 flagship amp.

SMSL has also recently launched merus chip base amp very cheap.

0329F634-7175-47B5-800D-CD34E81A51F6.jpeg

Things are starting to get interesting in the power amps from the Chinese. After the Topping PA5 with good measurements, it's Sabaj now offering very VFM balanced input amps.

Now this is really getting interesting. (Hint compare with emotiva amps)

View attachment 65498
View attachment 65499
View attachment 65500

Now I wonder whether these amps will be worth buying.....it's brigeable. So 2 amps is 40k.
What is your intention of using it ,is it for music or movies...In case if it for movies ,it is better to look into Emotiva or Tonewinner power Amps.
This Sabaj amp is having only 68watts @8ohms ,Instead you can plan for Bas X A 500 or 700 - Multi channel Amps which will have around 95 watts@8 ohms ,it will also occupy lesser space than this for no of Amps required.
Based on your listening levels ,distance and speakers sensitivity your power requirements varies . .So decide the power Amps wisely.
Also Emotiva & Tonewinner PA may come with Indian dealers Warranty.

Last edited:
What is your intention of using it ,is it for music or movies...In case if it for movies ,it is better to look into Emotiva or Tonewinner power Amps.
This Sabaj amp is having only 68watts @8ohms ,Instead you can plan for Bas X A 500 or 700 - Multi channel Amps which will have around 95 watts@8 ohms ,it will also occupy lesser space than this for no of Amps required.
Based on your listening levels ,distance and speakers sensitivity your power requirements varies . .So decide the power Amps wisely.
Also Emotiva & Tonewinner PA may come with Indian dealers Warranty.
The Sabaj A8 can be a 500w monoblock. It's brigeable. (Icepower chips)

The SMSL A100 can be 80w surround sound amp. (Merus infineon amp)

My intention of posting these amps and also my OP - look at the price performance. How the price are dropping. Especially for good performing Class D amps. For me Class D is the future, and I have stop having interest for Class A, AB amps. (Maybe my contribution to be green)

Both these amps are good for music as well as movies (there are subjective reviews online).

The SMSL A100 is the no-frills avatar of Sabaj A10a/A10a amps based on Merus infineon.

Anyone in Bangalore having these or older gen class D amps from the said companies?
Would be interested in listening to them in a stereo setup.
Cheers,
Raghu

I use 50asx2 module amp
I use 50asx2 module amp with my KEF Q300s. Not fully satisfied since their output is barely 22wpc at 8ohm. Need significant volume to make the speakers shine with this. hence ordered higher power amp of 68wpc. Lets see how it sounds. I havent been using last 3 years as i have a small toddler at home and wifey is not in favour of loud music. Stopped using altogether. Hoping to reignite my music love with new amp.

The Sabaj A8 can be a 500w monoblock. It's brigeable. (Icepower chips)

The SMSL A100 can be 80w surround sound amp. (Merus infineon amp)

My intention of posting these amps and also my OP - look at the price performance. How the price are dropping. Especially for good performing Class D amps. For me Class D is the future, and I have stop having interest for Class A, AB amps. (Maybe my contribution to be green)

Both these amps are good for music as well as movies (there are subjective reviews online).

The SMSL A100 is the no-frills avatar of Sabaj A10a/A10a amps based on Merus infineon.
It's not about the quantity of power ( 500 w @ 4 ohms / 270 w @ 8 ohms). For me quality of power matters.Nothing against Class D
If the mentioned amp performs well for music, then it will be become a good VFM product. But unless listening it personally,it may be difficult to conclude.

It's not about the quantity of power ( 500 w @ 4 ohms / 270 w @ 8 ohms). For me quality of power matters.Nothing against Class D
If the mentioned amp performs well for music, then it will be become a good VFM product. But unless listening it personally,it may be difficult to conclude.
I agree.

I tend to go by objective measurements. The icepower module do have good measurements.

Just in case the performance of the icepower 125as

It will be worth noticing the list.

I agree.

I tend to go by objective measurements. The icepower module do have good measurements.
I recently got myself an SMSL DA8S for my bedroom setup. The primary criterion being WAF, I needed a device which would be small and thus unassuming in order to not draw attention to itself when placed on top of a perfume drawer. The fact that it has Bluetooth inbuilt meant i could avoid cable clutter altogether instead of having an optical wire run from the TV. The device looks smart, is very well built and wouldn't look out of place in an apple showroom. High WAF factor then and in fact, went unnoticed entirely for the first couple of days. And all this for a price of 12,999!

Perfect then?

Well, not entirely. The amp is is rated at 80wx4ohm and 40wx8ohm with a respectable THD of 0.008%, at least on paper. I also happen to have a Marantz PM6006 which is rated at 60wx4ohm and 45wx8ohm and happened to do a back to back comparo against it. While the performance of the DA8s was very respectable for the price, it could in no way, shape or form match up to the sheer grunt and muscle of the PM6006 which, at least on paper, had only a 5w advantage @8ohm while at a 20W disadvantage @4ohm compared to the SMSL. The Marantz went much louder without breaking a sweat and without the slightest hint of stress whereas the SMSL started getting shrill/distorting just about when the volume was nearing party levels. Not a necessity for bedroom duty but a point of note nevertheless if somebody thinks of implementing it in their primary setup.

But sheer loudness was not the only aspect in which the SMSL was beat to my ears. The Marantz simply sounded more musical. Maybe it was that the Marantz simply had more body in the mid range and mid bass which made the SMSL seem lean in direct comparison. While detail retrieval is good on the SMSL which was aided by the slightly lean character of the midrange, the Marantz was up there but had a much more rounded sound plus a larger and wider soundstage.

So are entry level Class D amps at the same level of performance as entry level class A/B amps? More appropriately, are these giant killers? I think not, not yet at least in my experience. And their power ratings do seems to be a bit exaggerated as well.

To justify the added cost, the Marantz does have a whole host of inputs and outputs with digital optical and coaxial and a slew of analog RCA inputs alongwith a built-in phonostage and a 6.5mm headphone out and the ability to connect upto 4 speakers or bi-wiring. And even with 4 speakers connected, the Marantz manages to reach party volumes. The SMSL does fight back with XLR input and inbuilt bluetooth coupled with a much much smaller form factor but the Marantz is the more rounded integrated amp.

And to my mind, class A/B integrateds are still a better bet for a bit extra and for many, the last amp you'd need unless your use case scenario, as in mine, requires otherwise.

P.S.:- I also have a higher powered Class D amp in the Crown XLS1502 and while it has infinite power, the Marantz still comes out top trumps on the SQ aspect subjectively. And the Crown costs almost as much as the Marantz while being entirely barebones on the features front when compared to it.

Speakers used for the comparo were the KEF Q350, Boston Acoustics A26, Klipsch RP600M and PSB Alpha P5.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back