SACD/CD I'm listening to ....

Hi Prem, got caught up with work off late and finally back to my favorite thing audio or music rather. I mean to say the reproduction gear is not of Primary importance to me but of Optimum importance rather. I would love to enjoy my music what the musicians intended actually and I believe that is the reason we are all in to this hobby. The root is the love for music first and thus the gear that reproduces it and maybe in a few cases it might be the other way around but in my case its the first one. Now saying so I love gear which produces music as a whole and and not analyse it. The analytical gear is supposed to be in the studio and not in my music room. Im here for the final product which may be bad or good depending on the recording studio or the sound guy like James Guthrie, Bob Ludwig, Alan Parson, Trent Reznor (NiN) or Stevie (Ignore his forum its a "Yes Sir" fan club). This brings us to a midpoint, how do i/we like the presentation. Let me put it simply. We go out to dine in a fine dining restaurant say elBulli (closed now,loved it) the food was great that goes without saying but say the presentation was bad, so much so that it spoiled the dish and that killed the entire experience! Its all in the presentation. This is where I come in and too make my point clear I want my presentation to be warm and entertaining with enough detail and emotion which will not go to extremes and spoil that presentation. It should be edible for the ear. Now thats the word. What dCS or Teac/Esoteric?Tascam does is they get the presentation wrong for me . Without doubt Esoteric is superb but too much TASCAM kills it for me , its great in Studio , read what the disc offers , but not for entertainment and emotional connect , its same with some PMC and Dynaudio models for example great in studios but unbearable at home. We are here to enjoy the music and not dissect it, thats for studios,let it be there. I believe thats one of the main reason you are so Vinyl over your Esoteric set up which you had to sell off. Ill still say had it been you had bought something from Classe, Ayon,Ayre,Electrocompaniet,AVM,Unison Research,Sugden you would have been a happy guy with less grudge for SACDs!!!:)

Coming to your query about the Esoteric set up I heard it in had Halcro/Manley Labs as amps and Green Mountain Audio as speakers with Jorma Design/VDH as cables all drawing from Frank Powerbanks and wall sockets. The GMA speakers and Manley couldnt sugar coat the Esoteric, which was lean and bright in nature compared to the Unison Research or the Mc Cormack they had. Thats the problem with Esoterics and you will se that Esoterics sell their drives/loaders to a lot of manufacturers and those all manufacturers make better CD players than many Esoteric models, funny but as I said too much TASCAM (Studio sound) killed them.

Coming to the old Japan made Dire Straits CDs , better stay away from them they are not worth the money. Some have channel imbalance on them!!! Mostly the CDs were made my Matsushita, Daio Kosan and RCA Direct, its a hit or miss with some having too thick or heavy mids k
making them polish off the early CD sheen but making them less dynamic and attacking in that process. In fact the West German pressing of that time 844 499-2-12 is said to be more reliable. But for me the SACD is the best bet. As for the WYWH SACD the multichannel layer is a treat but Im not as convinced about the stereo layer there , the redbook sounds more Dynamic.

As for the grain in Vinyl I stiill cant get over the grainy sound , maybe you hera differently but for me even a Kuzma couldnt get rid of it. None would as long as there is a physical contact between the needle and the Vinyl.. Its the same tape hiss, the contact, that even the Dragon or the Tandberg couldnt get rid off.Its physics. Im a SACD guy all the way. Been there done that with Vinyl.

But then to conclude I would say to each his own and may music be with you!:)

Last edited:
Aanuj, nice to see someone with so much passion

I got into digital in 1989 and switched to vinyl in 2012. I have owned many digital set ups over the 23 years. I normally like to own only one source at a time. Hence sold my Esoteric. It was not because I did not like Esoteric. Irrespective of the digital rig I would have had at that time, would have sold it.

Tascam and Esoteric, by the way are completely different sounding. Tascam does not even use the Esoteric transport. Also the dac section and circuitry is very different in both. Tascam is way more basic.

Recently, because my kids wanted to hear a lot of music that was not available on vinyl, I gave in and got a Schiit Yggy.

I think that's enough of hardware discussion on this thread. I do not wish to derail it anymore.

Aanuj, I had the German version you suggested, the early Japanese version, the remastered version, XRCD and the SACD. On my system the Japanese version sounded the best. BTW, the Japanese version was pressed for the US market.

Received my another prized collection of SACDs, SHM- SACD and two RBCD s from Japan. Had waited with baited breath. I have been charged customs as discussed , thought of sharing the image here. Happy Loud and Boozy Sundays to come :yahoo:

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_111717_1471072919315_1471073027330.jpg
    IMG_20160621_111717_1471072919315_1471073027330.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Received my another prized collection of SACDs, SHM- SACD and two RBCD s from Japan. Had waited with baited breath. I have been charged customs as discussed , thought of sharing the image here. Happy Loud and Boozy Sundays to come :yahoo:

Good collection, are there any Bollywood music in SACD?

Good collection, are there any Bollywood music in SACD?

for indian music...there are two titles for SACD

1-A Meeting by the River
2-Ronu Majumdar, Ry Cooder, Jon Hassell, Abhijit Banerjee ? Hollow Bamboo

apart from these...there is no other music available ...
if you want these two titles then PM me.

for indian music...there are two titles for SACD

1-A Meeting by the River
2-Ronu Majumdar, Ry Cooder, Jon Hassell, Abhijit Banerjee ? Hollow Bamboo

apart from these...there is no other music available ...
if you want these two titles then PM me.

Check your inbox

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back