sam9s HTPC Project! powered by XBMC!!

I have couple of my close friends, movie buffs, they have all the movies I have, plus with a speed of 16mbps and a 250GB FUP.. :), it hardly takes 30-40 minutes to download a 4 GB rip. There are couple of my fav like T1 and 2, Hard Boiled and Robocop that I have backed up. Few other fav like Black Hawk Down I bought the original BD. Rest as I said, I can always download when ever I want. Movie are not that difficult to find actually. Music FLAC files are, specially 80s and 90s music so they are for me more important to back up.

For NAS, you can go for DS121j if 413j is expensive, but Ready NAS is also a good option, not sure what NAS features it supports though. You already have 2x2TB seagate, for another two I'd say WD RED are fine NAS HDD, they are expensive as well, in that case WD Green are also not a bad choice

I have couple of my close friends, movie buffs, they have all the movies I have, plus with a speed of 16mbps and a 250GB FUP.. :), it hardly takes 30-40 minutes to download a 4 GB rip. There are couple of my fav like T1 and 2, Hard Boiled and Robocop that I have backed up. Few other fav like Black Hawk Down I bought the original BD. Rest as I said, I can always download when ever I want. Movie are not that difficult to find actually. Music FLAC files are, specially 80s and 90s music so they are for me more important to back up.

For NAS, you can go for DS121j if 413j is expensive, but Ready NAS is also a good option, not sure what NAS features it supports though. You already have 2x2TB seagate, for another two I'd say WD RED are fine NAS HDD, they are expensive as well, in that case WD Green are also not a bad choice

Thanks a lot for your suggestions on backup as well as selection of NAS hardware and hard drives. I think I may close-up on Netgear ReadyNAS 104 4 Bay unit with Seagate 4x4TB drives (in a phased manner).

Hard Boiled

Completely OT... but one of John Woo's best movies ever... Chow Yun-Fat... well he is god of the 90s bullets flying, martial arts action and nobody looked cooler than Chow Yun-Fat flying in the air and shooting and kicking all at the same time.

Highly recommended if you want to see the real John Woo (before Hollywood corrupted him).

^^ Absolutely ... :D :D .. The Killer and Hard Boiled are my two all time fav movies and best from John Woo. I will have BD for both when I will have my Projector HT with 2 Subs ... :)

nobody looked cooler than Chow Yun-Fat flying in the air and shooting and kicking all at the same time.

taking the liberty to go completely OT again myself ......

Well if you want your own Chow yun fat flying in air shooting in slomo, AND if you are least of bit interested in gaming, definitely try Stranglehold based on the same character Chow Yun Fat and produced by John Woo himself is one hell of a game with all that typical slomo bullet shooting (something like max payne) and superb gameplay ...... must have ... :)

Hi guys,
I have the lenovo q190 (the latest i3 - 3217U) version running XBMC Frodo 2.2 on windows 7.
I'm able to play all files with DTS, AC3 and also a few test files of DTS-HD and True HD without any problems.
All my connections are thro' HDMI. Q190 --> Yamaha RX-V373 --> Panasonic LED 32".

My main issue is I'm not able to play .dts audio files in the Q190. The same files would play on my Revo 3700 running XBMC Frodo 2.2 with (DTS-HD & True HD capable receiver disabled) HDMI Direct sound enabled as Audio output and Passthrough device . And i can get my AVR to display DTS when playing these files.

I'm able to play the same files in the Q190 when i change the audio settings to Analog and speaker output to 2.0 or 5.1.
I then tested by changing the settings to HDMI with speaker output to 5.1 - Direct sound with all AVR capablities disabled and was able to play the same files without any issue but was playing in PCM mode. Then i enabled only the AC3 capability and was still able to play with out any issues and my AVR was reporting as Dolby Digital.
I then enabled DTS capable receiver and then XBMC would not play these files.
I'm pasting the debug log as below,
#77090 • The XBMC Debug Log Site
What could be the problem? I'm not aware if there is any known problem of Frodo not being able to play DTS audio files.
I posted this same issue on the xbmc forum as well, meanwhile i was hoping anyone of the experts here can clarify or help me out in sorting out this issue.
Thanks.

@Sam9s...

Now that my NAS is hooked up and running fine from past, couple of months, I have decided to go for a HTPC. My budget would be around 30K.
I do not need a HDD for storage, just need for booting an OS+XBMC, so a SSD would be fine.

Request you and others as well to suggest me a HTPC config.

Thanks in advance.

@Sam9s...

Now that my NAS is hooked up and running fine from past, couple of months, I have decided to go for a HTPC. My budget would be around 30K.
I do not need a HDD for storage, just need for booting an OS+XBMC, so a SSD would be fine.

Request you and others as well to suggest me a HTPC config.

Thanks in advance.

There is one on sale assembled as well, check it out if it suits your requirement. I think within your budget.

*No affiliation with the seller :)

There is one on sale assembled as well, check it out if it suits your requirement. I think within your budget.

*No affiliation with the seller :)

Thanks for the info on the sale. It looks interesting but when I looked at the config of the system provided for sale, and did some googling on HTPC parts, I found that for around 30K I can go for as below, I've mentioned the prices I got for them.

MB - Asus H87IPlus (Haswell - Mini-ITX) - Rs. 8900
CPU - Intel i3 4130 (Haswell - HD Graphics 4400)- 7900
RAM - 2x2GB DDR3 - 2600
SSD - 60GB - 4500
PSU - 450 Watts (CM Thunder) - 2300
Cabinet - CM Elite 130 - 4300

That makes it around 30K. This was just a preliminary search and would love to have suggestions on better power efficient but with enough power for the needs to bit-streaming HD quality A/V.

Thanks for the info on the sale. It looks interesting but when I looked at the config of the system provided for sale, and did some googling on HTPC parts, I found that for around 30K I can go for as below, I've mentioned the prices I got for them.

MB - Asus H87IPlus (Haswell - Mini-ITX) - Rs. 8900
CPU - Intel i3 4130 (Haswell - HD Graphics 4400)- 7900
RAM - 2x2GB DDR3 - 2600
SSD - 60GB - 4500
PSU - 450 Watts (CM Thunder) - 2300
Cabinet - CM Elite 130 - 4300

That makes it around 30K. This was just a preliminary search and would love to have suggestions on better power efficient but with enough power for the needs to bit-streaming HD quality A/V.

Your configuration looks good, just one suggestion is that instead of getting 2 sticks of 2GB RAM get 1 stick of 4GB RAM as most of the Mini-ITX motherboards have only 2 slots for RAM. With 1 stick of 4GB RAM you can upgrade with another 4GB stick later in the future if required.

Your configuration looks good, just one suggestion is that instead of getting 2 sticks of 2GB RAM get 1 stick of 4GB RAM as most of the Mini-ITX motherboards have only 2 slots for RAM. With 1 stick of 4GB RAM you can upgrade with another 4GB stick later in the future if required.

Thanks for the suggestion. Infact on that note I can use my main system's RAM, in which I've 4x4GB DDR3 RAM. I can remove 2x4GB and use it in the HTPC, thus saving a little. Anyway's, I've never seen RAM being used beyond 8GB even when playing resource hungry games like AC3, BF3, Metro Last Light, etc.

Well, I would like to have more options on cabinets, if you have any.

Thanks for the suggestion. Infact on that note I can use my main system's RAM, in which I've 4x4GB DDR3 RAM. I can remove 2x4GB and use it in the HTPC, thus saving a little. Anyway's, I've never seen RAM being used beyond 8GB even when playing resource hungry games like AC3, BF3, Metro Last Light, etc.

Well, I would like to have more options on cabinets, if you have any.

Ok good you can save some cash on that. Coming to the case I think there is a mention of Antec 110 model or something similar in some other thread that supports mini-itx mobo's with an external power adapter. I think this case comes with a 90W PSU (or you can get a external power adapter, not too sure). You can try that from the primeabgb.com site. I think they have it in stock or try in itwares.com as well. This is a small factor nicely built HTPC case and looks good in the living room. If not you can get something similar to mine Silverstone GD03 or 05 (not sure about the model need to check up) it is built like a tank but slightly bulky and should be the size of a AV receiver. This supports mini-itx as well as micro-atx mobos.

If my suggestion means anything, I would suggest to go for a cheaper processor, like Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 for around 3500 and invest in a decent GPU like GT440. That would actually benefit more to your HTPC than a powerfull processor. Infact if you are going to use your HTPC just for movies, a 2 GB stick just works fine, the save money can be invested somewhere else. ....

Just my 2 paisa ..

Ok good you can save some cash on that. Coming to the case I think there is a mention of Antec 110 model or something similar in some other thread that supports mini-itx mobo's with an external power adapter. I think this case comes with a 90W PSU (or you can get a external power adapter, not too sure). You can try that from the primeabgb.com site. I think they have it in stock or try in itwares.com as well. This is a small factor nicely built HTPC case and looks good in the living room. If not you can get something similar to mine Silverstone GD03 or 05 (not sure about the model need to check up) it is built like a tank but slightly bulky and should be the size of a AV receiver. This supports mini-itx as well as micro-atx mobos.

Well, the Antec models does not incorporate USB 3.0 and too small, no room for upgrade as well, and the Silverstone is actually very huge like a receiver's size and would be more expensive.

I even liked the CM Elite 110 which looks interesting and has ample room for upgrade as well. Its more like a cube with dimensions 10.3 x 8.2 x 11.1 inch.

If my suggestion means anything, I would suggest to go for a cheaper processor, like Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 for around 3500 and invest in a decent GPU like GT440. That would actually benefit more to your HTPC than a powerfull processor. Infact if you are going to use your HTPC just for movies, a 2 GB stick just works fine, the save money can be invested somewhere else. ....

Just my 2 paisa ..

Yes, actually I would only be using this HTPC for watching movies and listening to music & online radios all through XBMC. As, the newer Haswell processor has in-built graphics HD 4400, I guess it would be sufficient for even playing Blu-ray movies off ISOs. What's your take on this?

You suggested a 2GB stick, can you elaborate on this.

Yes, actually I would only be using this HTPC for watching movies and listening to music & online radios all through XBMC. As, the newer Haswell processor has in-built graphics HD 4400, I guess it would be sufficient for even playing Blu-ray movies off ISOs. What's your take on this?

You suggested a 2GB stick, can you elaborate on this.

I was and never will be a integrated GPU supporter, My i7 has integrated GPU and while normal BD rips worked fine, full ISOs, specially 3D ISO gave trouble, this was just a test I did on a 3D TV to measure the power of integrated GPUs, the problems were more evident with an Intel board than ASUS. Then I bought GT440, and have never looked back, infact lot of other HTPC users here have gone for GT440 and are truly satisfied.

Dedicated GPU will always be far better and no matter how good integrated GPU becomes. it cannot match a dedicated one. Integrated GPU will always share resources.

Coming to RAM...... whats there to elaborate, a 2GB stick works fine, just works fine. I initially had 4GB on my HTPC then I needed a 2GB stick for my other test PC to do some testing and virtually saw no drop in any performance aspect in my HTPC with a 2GB stick, infact its just a 800Mhz stick and works perfectly, you dont even need a fast RAM as far as HTPC goes.

I have always stated you DO NOT need a beefy system for an HTPC a low end PC with a decent GPU will perfectly serve the purpose .... save money and invest somewhere else.

I was and never will be a integrated GPU supporter, My i7 has integrated GPU and while normal BD rips worked fine, full ISOs, specially 3D ISO gave trouble, this was just a test I did on a 3D TV to measure the power of integrated GPUs, the problems were more evident with an Intel board than ASUS. Then I bought GT440, and have never looked back, infact lot of other HTPC users here have gone for GT440 and are truly satisfied.

Dedicated GPU will always be far better and no matter how good integrated GPU becomes. it cannot match a dedicated one. Integrated GPU will always share resources.

Coming to RAM...... whats there to elaborate, a 2GB stick works fine, just works fine. I initially had 4GB on my HTPC then I needed a 2GB stick for my other test PC to do some testing and virtually saw no drop in any performance aspect in my HTPC with a 2GB stick, infact its just a 800Mhz stick and works perfectly, you dont even need a fast RAM as far as HTPC goes.

I have always stated you DO NOT need a beefy system for an HTPC a low end PC with a decent GPU will perfectly serve the purpose .... save money and invest somewhere else.

Great.... Now, can state the config what you would have built for your choice of HTPC. I would be glad to follow your footsteps.

On a side note: If adding a GT440, how much will the power consumption increase, in addition to the 55W of the CPU?

Last edited:

Just my 2 paisa ..

+1 to this. I have a couple of i7s (2nd gen and 3rd gen) and FHD video tends to be choppy at times (not always). A GPU always (at least to my eyes) makes playback smoother and more fluid even on an i5.

Great.... Now, can state the config what you would have built for your choice of HTPC. I would be glad to follow your footsteps.

On a side note: If adding a GT440, how much will the power consumption increase, in addition to the 55W of the CPU?

My recommendation :) ..lol you dont want to follow that, I would not spend more than 15K on the HTPC and it still will play any ISO thrown at it ... :D

My actual recommendation ......

1. Any C2D processor ...... <2000
2. Compatible ASUS mobo like P5B ........ < 2000
3. GPU GT 440 ......... 3500
4. 160GB WD HDD or 500GB ...... 2000 (add 1500 more if chosen 500gb)
5. CM Elite cabinet ....... 2500
6. PSU Corsair VS350 ....... 2000
7. 2 GB RAM .......................1500
========================
total ................................15500.

The above config will play every single video audio file thrown at it, effectively ......

My recommendation which you might be more comfortable with ..

1. G2020 Processor ............. 3800
2. Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard ............. 3500
3. GPU GT 440 ......... 3500
4. OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD ........ 5000
5. Cabinet ........ Cooler Master 210 Slim Mini-iTX ........... 5000
6. PSU Corsair VS350 ....... 2000
7. 4 GB RAM .......................2500
==============================
total ..............................~ 25500

Last edited:
+1 to the dedicated GPU, I totally agree as I had problems running some full hd movies on my Gigabyte motherboard with inbuilt GPU. Hence on the advice of Sam got a Nvidia GT440 and there is no looking back. I even play 45GB full hd movie on my HTPC and it plays super smooth with MadVR + MPC-HC setup albeit at a higher CPU usage because of MadVR processing.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back