sam9s HTPC Project! powered by XBMC!!

@ Sam,
1. Any C2D processor ...... <2000
2. Compatible ASUS mobo like P5B ........ < 2000
3. GPU GT 440 ......... 3500

Actually what you say makes a lot of sense for HTPC. What model CPU would you recommend ?

btw : GT 440 is very difficult to find nowadays :)

And this may be a very stupid question:- Will all older cpus work with windows 8 ?

Last edited:
@ Sam,

Actually what you say makes a lot of sense for HTPC. What model CPU would you recommend ?

And this may be a very stupid question:- Will all older cpus work with windows 8 ?

Yes I think from Win 7 onwards you can use older CPUs as well. There was always compatibility issues with Vista but not Win 7 & 8.

My recommendation :) ..lol you dont want to follow that, I would not spend more than 15K on the HTPC and it still will play any ISO thrown at it ... :D

My actual recommendation ......

4. 160GB WD HDD or 500GB ...... 2000 (add 1500 more if chosen 500gb)
5. CM Elite cabinet ....... 2500
6. PSU Corsair VS350 ....... 2000
7. 2 GB RAM .......................1500
========================
total ................................15500.

The above config will play every single video audio file thrown at it, effectively ......

My recommendation which you might be more comfortable with ..

1. G2020 Processor ............. 3800
2. Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard ............. 3500
4. OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD ........ 5000
5. Cabinet ........ Cooler Master 210 Slim Mini-iTX ........... 5000
7. 4 GB RAM .......................2500
==============================
total ..............................~ 25500

Thanks a lot for the detailed config of parts required for the HTPC build. I'm considering the second one with some modifications if possible with my budget. Rather than going for the G2020 processor, why not go for a little better so that I can also use this system as a secondary PC for other OS's as well (for learning/experimenting sake). I was thinking the intel i3 4130 (Haswell) processor with eqivalant MB. This would definately increase the total price point, but it becomes future proof for using this system for other purposes as well.

Another point, I discovered yesterday, is that, the space available at my place for placing this HTPC is not too big and a micro ATX system will not fit. Rather a mini-ITX would fit in properly with some space for ventilation on both sides. So, for this I was thinking of the Cooler Master Elite 130 cabinet, which houses a mini-ITX and its priced at 3800. Now comes the question to pick a MB for this Haswell CPU. Now, looking at options there are a few... one from Asus (have always been using) H87I-Plus and a few others as well from Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

GT440 is difficult to find and a re-badge GT630 is available for around 4800 with a 2GB RAM version. As per AnandTech article here... AnandTech | NVIDIA Launches Fermi Based GeForce GT 610, GT 620, GT 630 Into Retail it clearly shows that its a re-branding.

Whats your take on the above aspects.

@ Sam,

GT630 is available as a re-branding with same config but with 1 and 2GB RAM options.

For what it's worth, my HTPC runs on a 7-year old configuration (First 5 years saw thousands of hours of nightly downloads)

Intel DQ965GF / Core2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz / Transcend JM800QLU 2 GB DDR2 x 2

(I think Sam's config is somewhat similar)

The only upgrades I did to the system in the first five years

• Seasonic S12-II 430W
  • Noctua Case fans
The only 'enhancements' I made before converting into a HTPC were

• Scythe Kozuti CPU Cooler
  • Silverstone Sugo Series SG02B-F00020 Cabinet
  • Added 2 x 2 TB HDD (WD Green - 1, Seagate Green - 1)
  • Re-used old 80GB HDD as boot drive
  • Zotac GT440 1GB DDR3 RAM
  • One more Noctua Case fan

I was initially worried about using an age old config as HTPC, but Sam's posts put them to rest. It has been running Windows 7-32 as the main OS with XBMC as shell under a separate user. Ir outputs to a somewhat decent setup of Marantz SR6006 -> Sony 46HX925. I haven't touched anything in the whole config over the past two years.

@ Sam,

Any C2D varient starting from E6xxx series to E8xxx series will do . If you can manage to get E6xxx line of proc that would ealisy land up less then 2K. E8xxx might be a bit expensive for around 2500-3000, depends how one negotiates .......

and yes Windows 8 will easily work with any C2D processor ......:)

Thanks Sam.

Now, the really really noob question :

I have seen that many new large screens play moves off a pen drive if you stick on into the usb of the tv. What limitations do this kind of playback have as compared to an HTPC ? I am trying to understand performance (playback quality) related issues only.

Also, can one convert a x box 360 into an HTPC ? Challenges ?

Thanks a lot for the detailed config of parts required for the HTPC build. I'm considering the second one with some modifications if possible with my budget. Rather than going for the G2020 processor, why not go for a little better so that I can also use this system as a secondary PC for other OS's as well (for learning/experimenting sake). I was thinking the intel i3 4130 (Haswell) processor with eqivalant MB. This would definately increase the total price point, but it becomes future proof for using this system for other purposes as well.

Another point, I discovered yesterday, is that, the space available at my place for placing this HTPC is not too big and a micro ATX system will not fit. Rather a mini-ITX would fit in properly with some space for ventilation on both sides. So, for this I was thinking of the Cooler Master Elite 130 cabinet, which houses a mini-ITX and its priced at 3800. Now comes the question to pick a MB for this Haswell CPU. Now, looking at options there are a few... one from Asus (have always been using) H87I-Plus and a few others as well from Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

That is the reason I asked, what is the exact purpose, if the PC has to be used for other purposes then one might need to go for better config, just for watching movies and listining music you do not need anything beefy. So if one goes for latest config just for an HTPC, its wast of his money, is all I can say.

GT440 is difficult to find and a re-badge GT630 is available for around 4800 with a 2GB RAM version. As per AnandTech article here... AnandTech | NVIDIA Launches Fermi Based GeForce GT 610, GT 620, GT 630 Into Retail it clearly shows that its a re-branding.
Whats your take on the above aspects.
GT630 is available as a re-branding with same config but with 1 and 2GB RAM options.

GT630 should not be termed as re badged as 440, there is quite a lot of difference major being the memory clock which is much higher in 440, also memory bandwidth which is the actually the main difference is much higher in 440, 51GBps as compared to 630 which 21GBps, more than double. 440 is one class card if you manage to get one.

GT630 should not be termed as re badged as 440, there is quite a lot of difference major being the memory clock which is much higher in 440, also memory bandwidth which is the actually the main difference is much higher in 440, 51GBps as compared to 630 which 21GBps, more than double. 440 is one class card if you manage to get one.

There is some confusion here... as per the specifications mentioned at nvidia website both the GT440 and GT630 have the same specs especially the Memory Bandwidth you have mentioned. Both the cards had been released in multiple flavours having same specs.

Memory Bandwidth:
GT440 - 28.8 (DDR3) 51.2 (GDDR5) GeForce GT 440 | Specifications | GeForce
GT630 - 25.6 - 28.8 (DDR3) - 51.2 (GDDR5) GeForce GT 630 | Specifications | GeForce

I hope I'm not wrong.

Well, I took the plunge into building a HTPC and bought the first part - The Motherboard.

I bought an Asus H87I-Plus Motherboard (mini-ITX form factor), will receive the delivery tomorrow. Rest of the parts will be bought locally, tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help.

There is some confusion here... as per the specifications mentioned at nvidia website both the GT440 and GT630 have the same specs especially the Memory Bandwidth you have mentioned. Both the cards had been released in multiple flavours having same specs.

Memory Bandwidth:
GT440 - 28.8 (DDR3) 51.2 (GDDR5) GeForce GT 440 | Specifications | GeForce
GT630 - 25.6 - 28.8 (DDR3) - 51.2 (GDDR5) GeForce GT 630 | Specifications | GeForce

I hope I'm not wrong.

No you r right, I did not check as I was pretty sure, must have compared the DDR3 version with DDR5 ...... well if this is the case then, its good news people if cannot find GT440 they can go for GT630 .. :)

Well, finally bought all the parts and built my first HTPC.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I shall post a new thread with pictures and details of the HTPC.

Well, finally bought all the parts and built my first HTPC..

My recommendation :)
My actual recommendation ......
4. 160GB WD HDD or 500GB ...... 2000 (add 1500 more if chosen 500gb)
5. CM Elite cabinet ....... 2500
7. 2 GB RAM .......................1500
========================
total ................................15500.

Sam9s,

I like the budget of 13K (without hard disks). What Mobo/Processor would you recommend in this price point? Why not a Proc with a built in GPU like the AMD E350?

Thanks.

^^ Yes build in GPU called APUs are fine for HTPCs, but 3D isos takes a toll even on them. for processor as I said any C2D proc will do from C2D E6xxx to E8xxx series depending on the availability. Like mine is C2D 6300 works perfectly with GT440 for every 3D content thrown at it.

For mobo again any compatible mobi ASUS or Gigabyte that supports LGA775 Platform would do fine with and C2D processor.

I use the e350 for a linux HAPC. Havent checked the video performance coz its not setup that way. I use linux on it.

I have built an HTPC (or rather MusicPC) inspired by the need to have a separate box for playing and managing the songs and free up the Laptop. I thank sam9s and other contributors on this thread for the inputs which have been really helpful in deciding the components to choose. My build has the following:

Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 Processor: 3,400
Intel DZ75ML-45K Motherboard: 4,100
Corsair DDR3 2GB ValueSelect 1333: 1,500
Corsair VS350 PSU: 1,900 (350 watts is sufficient power for the components used; need not go for higher capacity)
Cooler Master Elite 361 Cabinet: 2,500
LG DVD-R: 900
HDD- an old WD 40GB IDE drive. Using an IDE-Sata converter from ebay to connect to Sata on motherboard. It only has the OS (Win 8.1 Pro), the media files are on external 2TB HDD. ODAC for connecting to amp.
I might add a separate graphics card in future if needed when I get the HDTV. For now it is purely for music.

Win 8.1 Pro enables it to be used headless - I use Remote Desktop to access the desktop. Microsoft has also come out with RDP client for Android; it works wonderfully. FoobarCon app is used to change the songs. This app can also shut down the PC, and wake it as well (using Wake on Lan).

During playback the processor and HDD usage is ~2-3% only. Ran also has only 40% usage. I guess the power footprint should be minimal. The machine is very quiet.

~Shantanu

Hi Sam,

First of all let me tell you all what an amazing thread this has been, loads and loads of some useful information..
After finalizing on HiMedia 600C , I went through this thread and magic of xbmc and htpc has cancelled my plans for Media Player.

Currently I am also in the phase of upgrading my desktop from P4, hence, decided to get rid of P4( nothing can be squeezed out of it), get a new Desktop and use it as a HTPC also. :)
I need your inputs on the followings, which will help me making my Desktop cum Htpc.
Not looking for a high end desktop, should be between 25-35K.

Processor: Decided for Inter I3 3rd Generation :Any advice on which particular one should I go for.
Motherboard: Recommendation please : Should be able to decode till 7.1,all the HD formats, no 3D requirement rite now(2D hd plasma),however, should have slot so in future GPU can be added for 3D.
Should have HDMI out and Optical Out :: Reason: My current ht system, Sony DHC Fl 5d supports Optical In. Hdmi to plasma, and optical to Sony system,which outputs DTS 5.1
Hard disk: 1 TB : any recommendations ?
Ram: 4 GB: Kingston or Simtronics .Any recommendations ?
Dvd Writer: Samsung
Cabinet : ? : Not looking for a HTPC cabinet
PSU: ? A good quality PSU, since pc will be mostly on for d/l,u/l.
Display: will get a Samsung 21or 23: led monitor.

Now comes the tricky part, I will using this desktop as a HTPC also and my Plasma/Ht system, is in the adjoining room :)
Display & Sound: To connect the PC to Plasma(non smart) for display and to my Ht system for sound, Plan to use 20 Ft/30Ft, HDMI cable and Optical Out cable, available on Ebay for under btw Rs 1K-3K. Is anyone using such a long cable ?Is this a feasible option ?, will there will any loss in picture/sound quality by using such a long cable ? Any other recommendation?

Controlling the XBMC/Pc :: I want to use an actual remote rather than any tablet/cell. Saw some wifi Xmbc remote control on Amazon.We are looking at a distance of around 20-30 ft btw display room and the room where Desktop will be placed.Recommendations on such remotes, IR repeaters. What should be the best way of doing this.

If above two points can be taken care of, then my desktop will be set up as perfect HTPC, if not, then I need to get a 2nd PC also, which will act as htpc, however, that will set me down by another 20K. :mad:

Please advise the best route available around the same.

Harpreet

Last edited:
Controlling the XBMC/Pc :: I want to use an actual remote rather than any tablet/cell. Saw some wifi Xmbc remote control on Amazon.We are looking at a distance of around 20-30 ft btw display room and the room where Desktop will be placed.Recommendations on such remotes, IR repeaters. What should be the best way of doing this.

My 2 cents on XBMC RC. I have used Android based XBMC Remote Apps (Official XBMC Remote & Yatse, the XBMC Remote) for about an year. These apps don't give you as much user experience as a traditional IR Remote. I have shifted to IR Remote about 2 months back and I can say confidently that user experience is great. The user experience gets much worse for those who secure their phone with a password. Each time you try to access the remote you will end-up typing the password and that is a great discomfort. I use Logitech Harmony 200 IR Remote (cheapest available in eBay Link is INR 845/-). On the PC I use FLIRC USB Dongle (Link). This dongle is a little expensive ($22.95 + $6.55 Shipping) but is very easy to configure and works flawlessly. Please note that FLIRC works out of the box on XBMCbutnu and XBMC Windows Installations. I have tested both the configurations. I haven't used any IR Repeater/Blaster in my setup but there are a lot of options available on internet.

Hi Sam,

First of all let me tell you all what an amazing thread this has been, loads and loads of some useful information..
After finalizing on HiMedia 600C , I went through this thread and magic of xbmc and htpc has cancelled my plans for Media Player.

Currently I am also in the phase of upgrading my desktop from P4, hence, decided to get rid of P4( nothing can be squeezed out of it), get a new Desktop and use it as a HTPC also. :)
I need your inputs on the followings, which will help me making my Desktop cum Htpc.
Not looking for a high end desktop, should be between 25-35K.

Processor: Decided for Inter I3 3rd Generation :Any advice on which particular one should I go for.
Motherboard: Recommendation please : Should be able to decode till 7.1,all the HD formats, no 3D requirement rite now(2D hd plasma),however, should have slot so in future GPU can be added for 3D.
Should have HDMI out and Optical Out :: Reason: My current ht system, Sony DHC Fl 5d supports Optical In. Hdmi to plasma, and optical to Sony system,which outputs DTS 5.1
Hard disk: 1 TB : any recommendations ?
Ram: 4 GB: Kingston or Simtronics .Any recommendations ?
Dvd Writer: Samsung
Cabinet : ? : Not looking for a HTPC cabinet
PSU: ? A good quality PSU, since pc will be mostly on for d/l,u/l.
Display: will get a Samsung 21or 23: led monitor.

Now comes the tricky part, I will using this desktop as a HTPC also and my Plasma/Ht system, is in the adjoining room :)
Display & Sound: To connect the PC to Plasma(non smart) for display and to my Ht system for sound, Plan to use 20 Ft/30Ft, HDMI cable and Optical Out cable, available on Ebay for under btw Rs 1K-3K. Is anyone using such a long cable ?Is this a feasible option ?, will there will any loss in picture/sound quality by using such a long cable ? Any other recommendation?

If above two points can be taken care of, then my desktop will be set up as perfect HTPC, if not, then I need to get a 2nd PC also, which will act as htpc, however, that will set me down by another 20K. :mad:

Please advise the best route available around the same.

Harpreet

My suggestion would be for the HTPC purpose the P4 is sufficient. Just get a good GPU like the GT440 or equivalent from AMD and Corsair or some other good branded PSU and you should be good to go with the existing system itself. All your audio/video processing will happen on the GPU with hardware acceleration without much dependency on your P4 processor. Re-use your existing system, if you see the Sam's initial build i think he used the core2duo processor and I believe P4 is a generation older to this processor.

Edit: Regarding the usage of the remote, I would say go with the XBMC remote app on either the iPhone or an Android phone. You do not require the physical remote aat all and if you insist then you can get a Lenovo handheld remote which is pretty good and will replace a keyboard/mouse together as it has a track ball.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back