sam9s HTPC Project! powered by XBMC!!

@600$ I can built an ultra high end gaming machine, its not an over kill, its an abomination.....lol kidding :)... yes it an over kill, super over kill I'd say.

Last edited:
Hi Sam, you are doing a great job helping HTPC enthusiasts to build new HTPC supporting xbmc.

I have short listed the components for my very first HTPC build. Could you please check it and make corrections or suggestions if needed? Thanks in advance.

Here are those components :

1) ASUS AM1M-A (90MB0IR0-M0EAY0)
2) AMD Athlon 5350, 4x 2.05GHz, boxed (AD5350JAHMBOX)
3) Chieftec IX-03B-90W ( in built PSU 90W inclusive)
4) Kingston HyperX FURY rot DIMM 4GB, DDR3-1866, CL10 (HX318C10FR/4)
5) Crucial M550 128GB SATA 6GB/s
6) Alfa WiFi USB 36UNHNA
7) Flirc usb for remote

I don't want to use Blu-Ray drive, I also want my setup to be completely silent and power efficient. Also decent& slim looking device.

Are there any incompatibilities between any hardware components in the list or are there any other better & cheaper alternative components to run OpenElec?

Pls let me know. I want to use this for multimedia propose with OpenElec.
Tv is Samsung UE32H6470.
Later I am planning to build 5.1ch home theater using wharfedale speakers and Denon amplifier.... That is my next project....

Pls help me now in finalising these components before I buy. Thanks in advance.

Bro OpenELEC can run on any hardware, there is nothing wrong with your specs as well. I however would try to keep it more smaller with mini itx form factor. Why are you not considering Gigabyte E350N

And there is no need for SSD, openELEC is any how pretty fast to boot. However if you do want to have an SSD, I would go for a 32GB Scandisk SSD for 2600 coz thats more than sufficient for openELEC to be installed (assuming that you will stream your movie from a NAS) else can add a 1TB hard drive for 3600.

Last edited:
Bro OpenELEC can run on any hardware, there is nothing wrong with your specs as well. I however would try to keep it more smaller with mini itx form factor. Why are you not considering Gigabyte E350N

If he really wants SSD, then the Gigabyte one wont cut it as it has 3gb/s SATA heads as compared to the Asus one which has 6GB/s. The time difference to boot is so small between SSD and a USB stick on a USB 3 slot, that you can load Openelec on 16gb USB stick instead of a SSD.

Hi
I have built an HTPC based on AMD AM1.
enclosing some pics

IMG_20141227_172457.jpg

IMG_20141227_172515.jpg

IMG_20141227_172416.jpg

IMG_20141227_172536.jpg

IMG_20141227_172457.jpg

lXPI_EN3uL48z_FGZ9hx3o_G8UCDxrOWE-0RHuiwf5A=w583-h709-no

2014-12-27.jpg

Used the HTPC was impressed with the sound and video will install another 2TB HDD

Regards
Somak

Hi
I have built an HTPC based on AMD AM1.
enclosing some pics
Used the HTPC was impressed with the sound and video will install another 2TB HDD

Regards
Somak

Nice. However it would be more useful to fellow members if you put in the Specifications of the individual components used. ;)

congrats somak, the cabinet looks to me like zebronics :) is it? your cable management may require some improvement. I am guessing on the left of your TV that is the saraswati "Bina" .

congrats somak, the cabinet looks to me like zebronics :) is it? your cable management may require some improvement. I am guessing on the left of your TV that is the saraswati "Bina" .

It is Intertec Mini.... looks nice. But i agree with your opinion that there needs to be little power cable organisation.

Also it would be nice if he could share the prices & components list where & when he bought them, it would be really helpful. Add some screenshots of the Video quality of each plugins or channels while watching... looks awesome.

The Veena doesn#t belong to Saraswati, but to Kanakadas !!! Am i right Somak ?

I recently bought an Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Case and need to buy a suitable power supply.

I'm a little rusty with computer builds and have no experience with mini-ITX. Please chip in with what power supply will be suitable without breaking the bank. Thanks!

I recently bought an Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Case and need to buy a suitable power supply.

I'm a little rusty with computer builds and have no experience with mini-ITX. Please chip in with what power supply will be suitable without breaking the bank. Thanks!

Do you want to go with the DC PSU power supply or the conventional AC PSU ?
better use DC one if your CPU power requirement is not above 50-60 Watts... You get a really power efficient & silent CPU for Multimedia & average Home PC usage.

Antec ISK600 takes any regular standard ATX power supply ..... whats the confusion for you? Any corsair standard ATX power supply will do depending on what your config is ...

Do you want to go with the DC PSU power supply or the conventional AC PSU ?
better use DC one if your CPU power requirement is not above 50-60 Watts... You get a really power efficient & silent CPU for Multimedia & average Home PC usage.

I have no idea about an external DC brick. Does this integrate well with the mobo socket(s)? How? Please elaborate. I plan to have one SSD and one large storage drive with 2 GB RAM and this motherboard/CPU combo which I've also bought: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/gigabyte-gae350n-win8-motherboard/1177329

Antec ISK600 takes any regular standard ATX power supply ..... whats the confusion for you? Any corsair standard ATX power supply will do depending on what your config is ...

I was looking for specific model recommendations which suit a HTPC, silent, VFM et al. Also, I guess I was doubtful if a ATX size PSU would even fit well in this little case. I admit I have not done enough homework here.

I was looking for specific model recommendations which suit a HTPC, silent, VFM et al. Also, I guess I was doubtful if a ATX size PSU would even fit well in this little case. I admit I have not done enough homework here.

If you are asking about the Brand, Corsair are good. About the capacity will depend on your config and usage ...... and yes ISK600 does take standard ATX power supply.

@Sam,

In one of your posts I noticed that you are using the Aeon Nox skin.

One thing I am not able to find here on Aeon Nox is the button palette when on the Music screen. Is there some setting hidden somewhere that displays this ?

By button palette I mean the following button set
Stop | Pause | Play | Skip | etc..

When playing audio music the absence of this is highly :annoyed::annoyed:

Would be great if anyone can give me pointers on how to get this to show up on the Music screen.

@Sam,

In one of your posts I noticed that you are using the Aeon Nox skin.

One thing I am not able to find here on Aeon Nox is the button palette when on the Music screen. Is there some setting hidden somewhere that displays this ?

By button palette I mean the following button set
Stop | Pause | Play | Skip | etc..

When playing audio music the absence of this is highly :annoyed::annoyed:

Would be great if anyone can give me pointers on how to get this to show up on the Music screen.

I think normally during the playback if you hover the mouse or press any key you get those buttons. That's how it shows up in mine during the movie playback.

I think normally during the playback if you hover the mouse or press any key you get those buttons. That's how it shows up in mine during the movie playback.

Does not happen for Music Audio playback with the Aeon Nox set.
Yes Video it does pop up on top.

With other skins this is not a problem, the button palette is visible. It is only with Aeon Nox where it does not appear.

Does not happen for Music Audio playback with the Aeon Nox set.
Yes Video it does pop up on top.

With other skins this is not a problem, the button palette is visible. It is only with Aeon Nox where it does not appear.

Hmm look at this thread where I think they have discussed the same issue (but not sure) and also the way how to enable the on screen controls.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back