sam9s HTPC Project! powered by XBMC!!

It is Intertec Mini.... looks nice. But i agree with your opinion that there needs to be little power cable organisation.

Also it would be nice if he could share the prices & components list where & when he bought them, it would be really helpful. Add some screenshots of the Video quality of each plugins or channels while watching... looks awesome.

The Veena doesn#t belong to Saraswati, but to Kanakadas !!! Am i right Somak ?

Yes you are right it is the Beena of Saraswati .Actually house repairing & painting work was in progress so I was out of action .
I am too lazy with the specs and price so enclosing the bill image.
compter-price.jpg

The asus sonar dx price has to be added it is around Rs 5500.
I have not installed the PC after the paint work is still not complete .
The speaker is a kit developed by Jeff Bagby it models the LS3/5a system
Continuum, Pr

Regards
Somak

I felt like this would be best thread to post my query on new htpc.

I am planning to build a value HTPC to replace my existing oplay mini.
Below are my selected system components
AMD Athlon 5350 3800rs
MSI AM1I or ASUS : AM1M-A mother board 2300rs
4 GB DDR3 RAM 2000rs
Zebronics cube case with atx power supply 2000rs
1TB HDD for os installation and file storage. 3500rs
USB wifi adapter for wireless network
For IR need suggestions.

Reason for HTPC,
1. current oplay do not support multiple external hard disc at a same time. I have to reconnect each and every time. I have 3 external hard drives, 500gb, 1 1TB, 1 2TB.

2. To enjoy the user interface of XBMC and to have all the movies in a single go.

My Queries:
1. Do the system requirements will be able to passthrough or bitstream HD audio like Dolby truhd/DTS hdma.

2. Do i need to go with win7 and xbmc combo / Openlec and xbmc combo. or any options available.

3. Will the system be able to support all the external hard disc connected.

4. Need to have a quiet system while running. So that they wont ruin the movie experience.

Thanks

Any thoughts??
I felt like this would be best thread to post my query on new htpc.

I am planning to build a value HTPC to replace my existing oplay mini.
Below are my selected system components
AMD Athlon 5350 3800rs
MSI AM1I or ASUS : AM1M-A mother board 2300rs
4 GB DDR3 RAM 2000rs
Zebronics cube case with atx power supply 2000rs
1TB HDD for os installation and file storage. 3500rs
USB wifi adapter for wireless network
For IR need suggestions.

Reason for HTPC,
1. current oplay do not support multiple external hard disc at a same time. I have to reconnect each and every time. I have 3 external hard drives, 500gb, 1 1TB, 1 2TB.

2. To enjoy the user interface of XBMC and to have all the movies in a single go.

My Queries:
1. Do the system requirements will be able to passthrough or bitstream HD audio like Dolby truhd/DTS hdma.

2. Do i need to go with win7 and xbmc combo / Openlec and xbmc combo. or any options available.

4. Need to have a quiet system while running. So that they wont ruin the movie experience.

Thanks

My Queries:

Yes, it can passthrough dolby truHD/DTS-HD MA. It is managed by XBMC. In my system I am using separate graphics card for 3d and not using MoBo HDMI port and able to do it.

Win7 +XBMC is my current configuration. Openelec is itself a XBMC distro.

MSI USA - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
See the specification. it have 8 USB ports all together. But if you have 4.5TB of external HDD together, then I think better to go with smaller one for OS.

I don't have any expertise on this, but making a silent PC can cost you a good amount. You have to buy components as fanless. In my HTPC I have installed 5 fans, still it won't ruin my movie experience. :clapping:

Do we really need a graphic card for bit stream or pass through HD audio to my receiver.

Wont the processor and board be enough to do them?

if the board has HDMI and its specs says it does passthrough then you dont need a seperate GPU.

if the board has HDMI and its specs says it does passthrough then you dont need a seperate GPU.

I choose AMD 5350 processor
Asus AM1-A mobo or MSI AM1I mobo

nothing is mentioned related to hd audio in the specs.
can you plz check and let me know.

BTW, you don't need 1tb drive if you are using openelec. Just use a 16gb or max 32 gb pen drive through usb 3 port. This should boot in less than 30sec. For even faster boot, use ssd. Avoid wireless if possible. For remote, use your ios or Android phone rather than ir remote.

well its hard to say, usually boards with HDMI does support passthrough, since you already have bought it just give it a try if it works well and good else opt for a separate GPU

well its hard to say, usually boards with HDMI does support passthrough, since you already have bought it just give it a try if it works well and good else opt for a separate GPU

actually I haven't bought the components. If these will work without any hitches i will go ahead and buy them. any other option is also welcome.

Finally I bought the system and installed them. I installed win 7 and xbmc. Managed to configure them after a lot of time spent.

But I am facing few issues with the system.

1. There is no display via HDMI to Avr. Iam able get the display when I simultaneously connect moniter via VGA output. I set the display to detect my Avr but no result.

2. When I play a video, the aspect ratio is kind of awkward. It looks like its not the original from the movie file. I was able to get the correct aspect ratio when I play the same movie when i play ot on my Asus oplay mini.

Finally I bought the system and installed them. I installed win 7 and xbmc. Managed to configure them after a lot of time spent.

But I am facing few issues with the system.

1. There is no display via HDMI to Avr. Iam able get the display when I simultaneously connect moniter via VGA output. I set the display to detect my Avr but no result.

2. When I play a video, the aspect ratio is kind of awkward. It looks like its not the original from the movie file. I was able to get the correct aspect ratio when I play the same movie when i play ot on my Asus oplay mini.

Kodi is the new version of xbmc. Try it if not done already.

1. Can you see desktop when you connect pc hdmi out directly to TV?

2. You can change the aspect ratio by playing a video, press enter to bring up the playback menu, select video menu and change the 'view mode'. After changing the mode, select 'set as default for all videos'. 'Z' also changes the aspect ratio.

Kodi is the new version of xbmc. Try it if not done already.

1. Can you see desktop when you connect pc hdmi out directly to TV?

2. You can change the aspect ratio by playing a video, press enter to bring up the playback menu, select video menu and change the 'view mode'. After changing the mode, select 'set as default for all videos'. 'Z' also changes the aspect ratio.
actually iam with the new kodil helix version.

1. when i connect hdmi out only, the system is not booting. i guess so.

Looks like some graphic driver issues, you can try installing the graphics drivers for HDMI if not installed already or uninstall and install it again with the correct version of the drivers if you have got a CD with the motherboard.

Edit: Once you are cleared of this problem the sequence of switching on the players is first TV->AVR->PC.

Hai, Sam, when I was go through another thread, I got a doubt, I just thought it is right place to ask. I run power DVD for blurays and passthrough of HD audio. My question is how to configure power DVD inside the XBMC. I am Running xbmc in windows 7 HTPC. You told in some other thread you are using POWER DVD as front end with XBMC as back end.

XBMC has now made in to Kodi, the entire plugin range has changed. Even in the much older versions you were not actually configuring a third part tool inside XBMC (powerDVD in your case), you actually just used to use a plug in called Programm Launcher to launch the application and do its task and then get back to within XBMC.

I dont think the plug in programme launcher is anymore available for Kodi. or if there is any other replacement for the same. I am not aware as of now. There is no need to be actually coz everything a powerDVD can do so can Kodi, including Bitstreaming and 3D SBS videos, so I am not sure why would you want PowerDVD to be executed from with in Kodi ...

Is new Kodi has capability of HD audio (dts-HD and dolby truehd) pass through? I was using XBMC launcher to start from windows shell.

Thanks, Sam, I was little bit reluctant to change to KODI, as I may have put little bit efforts to take backup of present XBMC library information. I will check it.

Well if you have a good internet connection, and you dont have like more than 500 movies, it hardly takes 20-30 minutes to setup new library. I have a 50mbps connection and around 300 movies and it hardly takes 15 minutes to setup the entire library from fresh. Yes installing plugins and other settings take time, but once in a year two, if you have to do it again, I think it should be ok....:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back