sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

I have been using 213j and am really happy with the choice.

However, I have one nagging issue which is irritating the heck out of me.

The system refuses to hibernate or do an auto shutdown and after I manually shutdown, it refuses to WOL.

I use WD red 2TB drives.

I went through the Synology forum and realised that there are many others in the same boat.

I removed the network cable (thinking there may be some client which is sending network packets to prevent hibernation), but it still doesnt hibernate.

I enabled hibernation logs, but then I dont get any, as it doesnt hibernate.

As this is the most active Synology thread, I thought I would get the best advise here. If you think its OT, I will move it.

Mine automatically goes into hibernation I think after 10 to 15 min of non-usage. I use a WD and a Seagate 3 TB drivers and WOL also works perfectly. But sometime last week I enabled some option related to the external access/cloud or something on similar lines and I read somewhere that this feature if on I think it keeps the NAS always on. I am yet to figure out how to disable it but my NAS now does not go to sleep even after many hours of non-usage. By the way I use DS214se version and pretty happy with its functions and reliability, firmware updates and torrent functionality.

Mine automatically goes into hibernation I think after 10 to 15 min of non-usage. I use a WD and a Seagate 3 TB drivers and WOL also works perfectly. But sometime last week I enabled some option related to the external access/cloud or something on similar lines and I read somewhere that this feature if on I think it keeps the NAS always on. I am yet to figure out how to disable it but my NAS now does not go to sleep even after many hours of non-usage. By the way I use DS214se version and pretty happy with its functions and reliability, firmware updates and torrent functionality.

I too thought the same, but no hibernation even after removing ethernet cable, so cant figure out.

I haven't had any problem with either of my Synology units, both are programmed to start and stop at designated times and do so without any trouble.

I haven't had any problem with either of my Synology units, both are programmed to start and stop at designated times and do so without any trouble.

George, thats a different option. You are using the power schedule to switch on and switch off the device at a specific time. In my device too this works fine.

Hibernate is a setting wherein you can specify a time interval of non usage and the disks will spin down, so as to increase their life and consume less power. There is a further setting for auto power off post hibernate.

However, I am unable to get these two options working.

Excellent review! though I am late to read it, but hey I joined yesterday only. But, one thing i did not understand is the cost? The features are awesome but there is not much hardware involved for the cost they are charging. For 25K I would rather be building my own NAS.

Yes that is true, Synology is expensive for the hardware they have, but my assumption is they are charging for the research on the DSM operating system synology has. Its impeccable to say the least. I have used almost all DIY NAS OS, and when it comes to ease of use, features, interface, plug n play, compatibility and stability.... synology wins hands down. Not to forget the after sales service, support, synology community and regular updates ......all is up to an excellent standard. The phrase though I used to not agree "You get what you pay for" ironically fits in case of synology .... :)

The phrase though I used to not agree "You get what you pay for" ironically fits in case of synology .... :)

Haha.. Yes that phrase might fit for Synology but for a middle classed guy like me, the pocket does'nt fit. :p But I agree UI is the first and most important part of a easy user experience. I was damn happy when I first read your review, that my search for a 'plug n play' NAS has finally ended but the price put-me off. Like they say "Never spend your money before you have it". I have an old PC lying around, will go for it!!

P.S.: I will need your help in setting up my HT, HTPC and NAS. If you don't mind I will PM you.

You can go for 2 bay device, that is around 15K,if I am not mistaken. You still can have an 8 TB NAS. Later when money is at ease you can add synology's own HDD enclosure to increase the capacity of the NAS ....

And you are most welcome to PM or call me for any help you require to set up HTPC, NAS or HT ... :)

Abhi

As the saying goes-different stroked for different folks..I own two Synology NAS unit and am a very satisfied owner-have had a couple of ReadyNAS units earlier. This is definitely the NAS of choice-though it comes with a price tag. Building your own is a different solution, not for everyone, though( I've also built a Linux based NAS earlier)

Another proud owner of Synology NAS here!
After having troublesome ownership experiences WD and Seagate network HDD for past 3 + years , finally decided to go for a 'real' NAS solution.
Bought the Synology 414J with (2) 4 TB WD Red drives last week. Very easy to setup and configure. Will take tips from this thread to make most out of my NAS.
This thread has been very useful in my decision making.
Thanks Sam and all the others for all the information provided.

Another proud owner of Synology NAS here!
After having troublesome ownership experiences WD and Seagate network HDD for past 3 + years , finally decided to go for a 'real' NAS solution.
Bought the Synology 414J with (2) 4 TB WD Red drives last week. Very easy to setup and configure. Will take tips from this thread to make most out of my NAS.
This thread has been very useful in my decision making.
Thanks Sam and all the others for all the information provided.

It is through the genuine efforts of such FM's that we are lucky to have no nonsense, first hand, tried and tested information. Hats off and many many thanks. I am looking to go in for a NAS. Not decided whether to DIY desktop or go in for a dedicated NAS. Again, for listening to music, Would I need another interface (additional cost) to connect it with my amplifier?. For now just hooked up an USB cable from my laptop to the amp and using a few external hard disks.

@sviyer - dear sir, would you please let us know as to where and how much did you get your 414J for?

No need for any other interface, Synology NAS supports USB Audio out, so just connect any USB DAC directly to Synology NAS and/or plug in directly to AMP

Yes this way, I can connect the Synology NAS directly to my amp which has an in-built USB ported DAC. That would really serve and solve the issue of the additional interface / hardware between NAS and amp.

Does this mean that it already has or an additional software has to be installed in the NAS to playback lossless 24 / 196 audio and 1080p HD files?

No additional software needed, Synology's own audio station does the job nicely, both from web and mobile

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back