Sam's BluRay Reviews.....

sam9s

I know I know, there is a thread to discuess BRs, but the way I want and love to reivew BRs (as I did for AVATAR) and share my knowldge has compelled me to start a new thread, When ever I would see a movie on BR, I would include a comprehensive review for it, which I hope would make the decission easy for a potential buyer.....

I already have given a review on AVATAR (which I think anyhow deserved a new thread)

http://www.hifivision.com/movies/9741-avatar-br-steelbook-edition-my-exclusive-review.html

I would start off with......

1. Star Trek 2009 3 Disc Edition...........

I have seen couple of Star trak movies including the new series as well but nothing came even remotely close to the original one in terms of the sprit, feel and characterization this movie brings(credit goes to the casting and writing done for this movie)..........., add to that a very believable plot and speactacular special effects and you got your self STAR TREK 2009........
......visuals of this movie are enormusly huge and of Top Quality, the detailing in this movie is IMPECCABLE, and that shows in each frame in this top quality BR, I can bet most of you would go wowowwow when they show the main bridge the first time, its technically brilliant, beautifull and this BR shows every bit in full detail.....simply amazing.....the colors of the star ship, the phasers, explosions every thing comes right at you. The interiors are done in such detail that you wonder if its CGI, and indeed very much of the ship interiors are non-cgi, actual sets and locations, which you ask me seriousl add to the effectiveness of the ship (you come to know when you see the making) Star Trek appears crisp and sharp in every frame, and every fram is huge in itself.....

.............this movie begs to be seen on a as big as possible screen......

Aspect Ratio : 2.40:1

AUDIO : Again nothign short of spactacular, LFE was spot on where ever needed (though not as thunderous as AVATAR), center was OK (again not as good as AVATAR) and there were lots of surround effects, which seriosuly adds to the space sound effects....
Overall the sound is sharp and crystal clear.....

Formatt :: Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1

EXTRAS : JJ Abrams has drooled the user with extras (after all this is Star Trak franchise we are talking about) and hence decided to have a complete extra BR for this. And I must say there are loads and loads of extras with complete making of the movie. Even the detailed features have a kind of Sub-Detail feature (which you have to activate when ever to see a sigh on the screen) that starts a sub movie to further explain the feature.......very satisfying for a fan.........few features such as making of the main bridge was done in explicite detail which BTW was a pleasure to watch. Detailed interviews which includes how the current cast interacted with the original ST series cast to get that character. How the score was designed, sound was done everything is in detail and you seriosuly enjoy watching it. There is no dearth of extra features even for a die hard fan of the series.....

2a9uo11.jpg

1zxlgk8.jpg

20kbokn.jpg

m1o1s.jpg

VERDICT (keeping AVATAR A/V 10/10....as ref.)

PQ : 7.5/10
SQ : 7/10
Movie : 7/10

Last edited:
Thats a Nice Idea Sam.Will keep bumping into this thread for your reviews of other movies.
Is those movie pictures take from your LCD?They are looking very good.

Do you know, discussion on copyrighted materials is banned here?????? Hope this thread will disappear in a while>>>>>>>>>>>>> Goodluck>>>>:):)

I doubt they are taken from Sam's LCD. One can see blu-ray.com 's watermark in the corner of the snaps.

I think the movie deserved more than 7/10. Nice review.

Do you know, discussion on copyrighted materials is banned here?????? Hope this thread will disappear in a while>>>>>>>>>>>>> Goodluck>>>>:):)
ROFL. Srini, that had me in splits ;-)

Keep it up Sam. But the pictures from blu-ray.com may not be a good idea :p.

Whats that suppose to mean.......they are my own personal views...., what wrong with that, or are u pulling my leg.....??
Seems like you've missed this thread http://www.hifivision.com/general-c...y-movies-buy-sell-trade-rent-got-deleted.html ... ;-0

Last edited:
Thats a Nice Idea Sam.Will keep bumping into this thread for your reviews of other movies.
Is those movie pictures take from your LCD?They are looking very good.

Thanks ldlebrain. No the pics are from Blueray.com, but the package looks exactly the same as I have.....so I decided to have all the pics from that site itself.......

You have violated as of now in 3 counts....and be prepared for the chargesheet.

1- Pulling the pics from Bluray.com and publishing in Hifivision
2- By publishing in hifivision you made that pics property rights were transfered to hifivision.
3. Discussion and publishing review on copyright materials.

Whats that suppose to mean.......they are my own personal views...., what wrong with that, or are u pulling my leg.....??

That means I got my leg pulled....:D

Ok removed and added mine......

Seems like you've missed this thread attn-bluray-movies-buy-sell-trade-rent-got-deleted got deleted ... ;-0

Yes that I did, think the commercial aspect must have been triggered, I dont know lending/trading a movie is perfectly ok I guess......

You have violated as of now in 3 counts....and be prepared for the chargesheet.

1- Pulling the pics from Bluray.com and publishing in Hifivision

Pics removed and added my own....

2- By publishing in hifivision you made that pics property rights were transfered to hifivision.

Pics removed.

3. Discussion and publishing review on copyright materials.

Since when did discuession became an infringment of copyright law, and reviews are of my own and not of any properitery site.

Thanks ldlebrain. No the pics are from Blueray.com, but the package looks exactly the same as I have.....so I decided to have all the pics from that site itself.......

Ok removed and added mine......
Posting pics from another site should not be a problem. In this case, Sam was not passing the pics as his own, so ok. Whether or not, the picture contains a watermark, it is a good practice to add the source. It is just about giving credit to the OP/Site. For Eg: Pic Courtesy - Bluray.com

BTW, the new pics are fantastic Sam!! Sam, we keep making you run to the terrace to get more pics. We do this to keep you fit and healthy so you can continue to post more and more reviews on movies;).

Last edited:
Great job Sam posting new pics.

Since when did trading/selling blu-rays become an offence? There a whole section at blu-ray.com indulging in that. This site is the only one in india as far as i know which can attempt to repeat that.

Not sure why that thread got deleted.

Posting pics from another site should not be a problem. In this case, Sam was not passing the pics as his own, so ok. Whether or not, the picture contains a watermark, it is a good practice to add the source. It is just about giving credit to the OP/Site. For Eg: Pic Courtesy - Bluray.com
Naah, Santhosh, I was just pulling his leg :yahoo: Infact with the copyright information right there in those pics normally is sufficient. And I don't remember blu-ray.com has put a bar on using their screen-caps.

So sam, what's up next?

Naah, Santhosh, I was just pulling his leg :yahoo:

Yea I kinda figured that out :D, but still replaced the pics to be on the safer side, anyway I wanted to post my own pics, but the initiall lazyness got me I guess....:D

So sam, what's up next?

TRANSFORMERS:: Revenge of the fallen
Comming soon.....only on Sam's BluRay Reviews :D

Never liked Star Trek The Movie from 2009. Keep up with your reviews though. I look forward to more of them. (Y)

Never liked Star Trek The Movie from 2009. Keep up with your reviews though. I look forward to more of them. (Y)

Thanks Pratters.....

I would be more inclined towards BluRay review rather than the review of the movie itself. But quite often a good BR makes an average movie viewing experience memorable on a hi end equipment, perfect example is like District 9 for me is a far better movie than AVATAR, but I was blown away by the audio video experience by the AVATAR BR and I thoroghly enjoyed the movie in that sence...........:)

in terms of SQ/AQ its hard not to like the new startrek on a good set up, and its definetly highly entertaining stuff and in fact rocking!!

Last edited:
^^ Could'nt have agreed more.......Infact I was more than satisfied by the Plot, characterization, humour, almost everything. The only point I would say I can complain is the climax could have a bit more action....apart from this ST 2009 is the best ST movie till date...

I never got engrossed in the relationship between the two protagonists which is the main theme of the movie. I will give it another go some time though to see if I can change my view as so many people have liked it a lot.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back