Sam's BluRay Reviews.....

I never got engrossed in the relationship between the two protagonists which is the main theme of the movie. I will give it another go some time though to see if I can change my view as so many people have liked it a lot.

You mean Spok and Kirk???

The two main charecters. I am not sure what their names are as I have never been exposed to the Star Trek franchise before except watching a few serials as a kid.

The two main charecters. I am not sure what their names are as I have never been exposed to the Star Trek franchise before except watching a few serials as a kid.

lol.....that explains your dis-interest, do'nt take me in the wrong way, but you dont even know the name of the two main characters of one of the biggest franchise in TV series history..........its perfectly understandable you wont understand the movie and the relationship between them.....:)

you dont even know the name of the two main characters of one of the biggest franchise in TV series history..........its perfectly understandable you wont understand the movie and the relationship between them.....:)

Hey Sam, I know their names (Captn.Spok and Kirk) but that it. I don't know anything about their relationship and only know the story vaguely. Although, it used to be telecast on TV. My sister used to watch it regularly, but I never used to like it. Same with the popular comic series TinTin, till today I don't know the story. I used to read Asterix a lot but never TinTin. Dunno why.

Does StarTrek need some background knowledge to watch, understand and enjoy the movie?:sad:

Last edited:
Same with the popular comic series TinTin, till today I don't know the story. I used to read Asterix a lot but never TinTin. Dunno why.
I love Asterix and specially the names they've given to each of the characters. But I love Tintin too, probably you can give Tintin another try and I'm sure you'll like it.

Does StarTrek need some background knowledge to watch, understand and enjoy the movie?:sad:

Nope, not needed. This one was my first Star Trek and I could understand every head and tail of it. I liked the movie quite a lot and I'm waiting for the sequel.
Hey BTW, can anyone gift me District 9 BD? I watched in on a crapy avi file and it killed the whole experience and I never liked the movie due to this.

Last edited:
Hey Sam, I know their names (Captn.Spok and Kirk) but that it. I don't know anything about their relationship and only know the story vaguely. Although, it used to be telecast on TV. My sister used to watch it regularly, but I never used to like it. Same with the popular comic series TinTin, till today I don't know the story. I used to read Asterix a lot but never TinTin. Dunno why.

No there is no need as such but if you know the background, you really enjoy and understand the movie in much more deapth.

I don't know anything about their relationship and only know the story vaguely.
*****************SPOILERS********************

Their relation actually in reality is very cordial, infact they are the best buddies and have an uncanny understanding for each other, but the movie does not take the the usual route, it takes another approch, with an alternate reality (Parallel Universe), as a plot this acts as a prequel to current Star Trak scenario, in this reality Spok is the captain, and Kirk's trainer, Uuhuhara is Spoks girl friend and Spok and Kirk do not get along together at all. Its the real spok from the actual time that makes Kirk realise his destiny and that success is not possible without Spok's total commitment and support and thats how the end triggest the start of a New Star Trek with a new begining to Spok And Kirks frendship.............ULTIMATE and the only way another Star Trek movie could have survived among even the true hard core fans of original star trak (like me:D)

****************END OF SPOILERS*****************

Last edited:

hey santosh, dont tell me u have not watched this on your set up as yet!!
have never watched the TV serials of star trek nor have i watched the older startrek movies

but the new "startrek journey begins" thrills on BD

you cud take the BD from me and chk it out

BTW............

These typs of movies are called "Reboots", why do we think "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" were super duper hits, coz they were successfull reboots.......original concept but a new begining with a completely believable and true to the original concept plot.......

Superman returns was a Reboot as well, may be not as successfull as Batman Begins but still an appriciable hit. STAR TREK is in the same league.

Great job Sam posting new pics.

Since when did trading/selling blu-rays become an offence? There a whole section at blu-ray.com indulging in that. This site is the only one in india as far as i know which can attempt to repeat that.

Not sure why that thread got deleted.

hi punit

thats just an amazing collection ,hats off to you!! you are the BOSS:)

lol.....that explains your dis-interest, do'nt take me in the wrong way, but you dont even know the name of the two main characters of one of the biggest franchise in TV series history..........its perfectly understandable you wont understand the movie and the relationship between them.....:)

It's all right mate. Different people, different interests. Do you know a lot about Paul Muni, James Cagney, Fassbinder? ;)

It's all right mate. Different people, different interests. Do you know a lot about Paul Muni, James Cagney, Fassbinder? ;)

You are comparing, the most popular character which almost every indivisual know with a few most rare artist on planet ..... :rolleyes: eh!!!!

Ok take 20 random people and ask if they know who Spok was and who Paul Muni was........and you shall get what my point was.......

Most popular character in THIS era. People forget history. Paul Muni and James Cagney were absolute geniuses. Their work is stuff of legend. People of this era are sadly ignorant about them, that's it.

Most popular character in THIS era. People forget history. Paul Muni and James Cagney were absolute geniuses. Their work is stuff of legend. People of this era are sadly ignorant about them, that's it.

I think you and me belonge to this era??? unless you are like 80 or sometrhing :D

Thats irrelevent. Will you forget about Bradman Gary Sobers just because they were from another era?

Again choosing an immensly popular personality as against a rare one (even if rare to this era)..........anyway....this seems to be going nowhere......point is Spok is a character which almost every adult, kid knows, infact of both eras, and the fact you did not know them was surprising (and I bet would be surprising for most of us)..........which is OK :) there was absolutely no disrespect or fun intended.,..........:) Peace :)

WG Grace is some one who is one of the greatest cricketers of all time. To knowt about it, you have to do an insight study unlike for Bradman and Sobers. So Grace is not mentioned in the same breath as say a Sobers. The very reason for this is ignorance. As you see more, your knowledge increases and you appreciate new types of films, new actors, directors.

I can understand why I have been ignorant of Spok. For most of my childhood I hated the fantasy genre like say X Men. After huge debates with a friend I finally started appreciating it more. It is a gradual and slow process for me.

NEXT.....

2. Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT

Dispite of the fact that MJ has been the biggest star of the music Industry it is hard to believe that none of his work has been released on BR. With such scintillating and catchie tracks , listining them on DTS MA would have been the obvious choise for the fans.........well its a fact people are missed and remembered more after they die. MJ is no different.........
Warner Home video, is going to release Moonwalker on BR and Sony released "This is It"

DISCRIPTION

"This is it" is a documentary cum feature film, about MJ's last concert that was suppose to happen in July 2009. The BR captures the essence of the footage that was shot during the various practice sessions of the concert plus lots of "real" footage showing MJ himself dealing with nitti gritties of how the presentation was to be done. These footage in my openion is one of the highlights of the full documentry...... I am not sure how seriously it was edited but it does give you a "Real" feeling of how particular and precise MJ was regarding even the finest tuning of any aspect of his presentation. There is scene where MJ is not satisfied by even a 5 second symphony while starting a song, viewing that entire sequence gives the very insight of MJ's perfection.

"This is it" also shows the HUGE amount of efforst that went through designing the entire concert, right from enormous sets, to perfect costumes, to immpecable makeup right till the top class special effects, lighting, choreography, stunts, everything that can be possibily shown in a concert. Interviews with the dancers, their Auditions, every thing shown leaves an Impact.

Franky I was simply blown away, by the level of effort that was put in trying to make this concert as memorable as possible. It shows in every department that it was clear that this being MJ's last concert has to have an EPIC feel in everything.....and the documentry successfully is able to capture the very nature and essence of the same........truly worth

VIDEO

Video quality is Mixed bag I would say, what they have done is, they have taken footage that is in full HD and footage that is SD as well, but the prtoblem is where the HD is top class, SD is not up to the mark.......its not even DVD quality......and they keep shifting between HD and SD for the same footage. I am not sure what could be the reason behind this, I mean if the same footage was shot in SD and HD they could have kept the entire thing in
HD, what was the point of mixing both. None the less the HD footage is full 1080p top class with vibrant colors. The stage lights and fireworks really comes to life on your LCD

Aspect Ratio : 16x9

AUDIO

Now this is where the tables turn completely......Unlike Video the entire audio is full DTS-MA 5.1, and I can tell you the audio quality this BR is next to AVATAR, Now when I say avatar one need to understand that this is a Music Video we are talking about here, so the comparision is not pertaining to how thunderous the music was or how earth shaking the bass was, but how every note, tone, instrument was crystle clear on all channels and bass was abolute tight. I can easily say, audio no doubt was batter than Video. Any fan of MJ would just simply Love, enjoy the music, specially THRILLER that is impossible to find on 5.1 DTS MA. Every song was a pleasue to listen.

Format :: DTS MAster Audio 5.1

EXTRAS :: Extras again was mixed bag, usually extras contain the off stage footage and interviews, but this entire BR is is like an Extra, so extras as such were ok. Auditioning the Dancers was something I enjoyed watching. Making of smooth criminal was also something good to watch.

kuank.jpg

ftil1v.jpg

xmn290.jpg
161ff9f.jpg

xlzdhg.jpg

Theatrical trailer.....

YouTube - Michael Jacksons This Is It - Official Trailer

VERDICT (keeping AVATAR A/V 10/10....as ref.)

This is it as a Movie :: 7/10
Video :: 6/10
Audio :: 8.5/10

WG Grace is some one who is one of the greatest cricketers of all time. To knowt about it, you have to do an insight study unlike for Bradman and Sobers. So Grace is not mentioned in the same breath as say a Sobers. The very reason for this is ignorance. As you see more, your knowledge increases and you appreciate new types of films, new actors, directors.

I can understand why I have been ignorant of Spok. For most of my childhood I hated the fantasy genre like say X Men. After huge debates with a friend I finally started appreciating it more. It is a gradual and slow process for me.

Pratters, you will be surprised but I cannot even remember the names of most cricketers, Indian or otherwise. For me, Gary Sobers or WC Grace are non entites.

At the same time, for people like me Capt. James T. Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Scotty and others are characters we love. I have seen every Star Trek episode, read literally every book I can lay my hands one, and of course seen every movie. I have argued with like minded people on the end of every episode - "that is what Kirk should have done", and so on.

Star Trek has gone through five generations with five different sets of main characters. For me Capt. Kirk and his colleagues (the original Star Trek), and Captain Picard and his colleagues (Star Trek - Next Generation) were the most lovable. I really hated to see William Shatner and Patrick Stewart do any other role.

Our love for Start Terk started with the initial fascination we have for Marvel Comics - Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Spiderman. I have waited for weeks to see a new Superman / Batman comic to ensure I do not lose the story. As kids we used to have a huge collection of these comics and exchange and share them amongst ourselves.

Of course when movies on these characters were released, it was always first day first show for us.

The new Star Trek movie is an attempt at resurgence of Capt. James T, Kirk. Hopefully we will see more episodes with better visuals and better graphics.

To Santhosh, I would say this. If you want to really enjoy Star Trek and emote with it, you must watch the initial episodes of James T. Kirk.

Cheers

I have watched a few episodes of Star Trek and have not been a big fan - I don't dislike it but never got on to it at all. Before watching the series, I watched the first movie and found the movie boring and ending somewhat lame. So, never latched on to the series much even though I lived in the US for a bit.
I saw this movie (2009 version) and liked it. The acting and characters were well done (especially the new actors carried them well). The special effects were good too. Definitely worth a watch. The only problem I had in this movie was the "science": a drop of this liquid creates blackhole sucking planets inside but the bad guy has gallons of this liquid stored in glass jar and carries around in a space ship? Did not sound logical to me. May be I need to know some background from some other Star Trek episode to understand this?
BTW, if you liked Star Trek, you may want to catch Galaxy Quest. It is a spoof of Star Trek and its fans. But a lot of fun.

^^ Galaxy Quest was a too funny movie........I really enjoyed watching it.......the whole comical feel was well done keeping the thrill intact......7/10.......

cheeezzz I think I should also start a Sam's Movie Reviews thread as well ... :D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back