Samsung B550 plasma owners kindly help...

kapilvgutpa

Hi,
I am interested in buying a 50" plasma and was looking forward to the 50" panny G10..but alas it is not available in India (as yet)
The next option that I have in my mind is the Samsung PS50B550
Regarding the Samsung, I have read a review Samsung PS50B560 Plasma HDTV Review at AVForums.com which highlights a 50hz video processing issue, for which Samsung was contacted but it denied to fix the issue and deemed the issue insignificant..

My concerns are:-
  • Does the sammy PS50B560 too have this 50hz issue (the review was for BS560 and not exactly B550)?
  • How serious is this issue for regular SD viewing, blueray movies and ps3 gaming?
I would really appreciate if sammy PS50B550 owners could please share their views and experience on the matter.:sos:

peace,
~kg

Hi Kapil
I have not come across any 50B550 owner's in the forum.
Unfortunately this model is out of stock in most of the places and is not available.

Same was confirmed by Devi international today i was just on the phone with them. They are not able to source this model from past few months.
I told them i was only interested in the same, then they said they will cross check and revert back.

The motion blur issue is present in the Indian model if you are able to get one.
Even at 576i/50hz (standard definition interlaced video) features the fault, but intermittently rather than constantly.

i will recommend to audition the LG 50PQ70 & Pana 50" models . As most of the places don't have the sammy 50" even on display to run the test disk and check.

Also with no supply and stock you may not get a good price on the same.

I had gone through a similar ordeal when i bought my 42" Sammy Q9 2 years ago,as none of the shops had any plasma models on display, some had the older ones and not the latest.That time at least i got to audition the 50" Q9 before ordering my 42".

Last edited:
adding the download link for the test disc mentioned in David Mackenzie's review
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
To use this disc to detect frame interpolation on any TV, play it back and watch the black and white check-boxes inside the moving square. A TV that isn't doing any time-based processing to the image will keep the checkerboard pattern clearn at all times. Affected TVs (or TVs that have a mode turned on, such as Panasonic's "Intelligent Frame Creation") will cause the checkerboard pattern to become scrambled.

peace,
~kg

i will recommend to audition the LG 50PQ70 & Pana 50" models . As most of the places don't have the sammy 50" even on display to run the test disk and test
The LG50PQ70 is a 720p i.e. HD ready model (it's not 1080p or FullHD)..confirmed the specifications on LG's webiste http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=320&pid=8115&subcat=PQ70&parent=Plasma%20TV
The 50" panny S10 is priced absurdly in India n the 50" panny V10 is outside my budget for now :sad: ...so am really looking forward to confirmation/severity of this 50hz issue with the sammy PS50B550

peace,
~kg

Kapil the challenge is on the forum i am doubtful anyone will be able to confirm the same.

I was trying to dig in to find if you can audition the same somewhere in Delhi.

I believe the Samsung Plaza in GIP and Samsung Plaza in Sec-18 Noida have this TV on display, see if you can test the disk out there.

Also avoid buying the set from there as the previous person who had shown interested they were trying to sell him the display peice itself.

So only for testing purpose you can head there with the disk and try this out.

Do let us know your feedback on the same...

Hi Kapil,

If you do indeed plan to go and check out the B550 for the 50 HZ issue, please also check if you can find any setting for Motion Plus..

The Australian version (like ours) has the 100 Hz function in the B550 and here's the thread where one of the users points out how to access a setting related to it.

Samsung Series 5 Plasma - 100 Hz? - Home Theatre

I've checked the user manuals for both India and Australia (downloaded from samsung's website) but none of them make any mention of 100 Hz or motion plus..

About the 50B550, the model is absent from Samsung's October '09 price list. Its mentioned in the September list though. Saw this at a few Samsung dealers. In fact, one dealer said that its been discontinued. Maybe they'll launch the newer series to counter the G10s and the V10s.

About the 50B550, the model is absent from Samsung's October '09 price list. Its mentioned in the September list though. Saw this at a few Samsung dealers. In fact, one dealer said that its been discontinued. Maybe they'll launch the newer series to counter the G10s and the V10s.

If true, that's extremely unfortunate. :-(

Have some good and bad news..

Had sent a mail to Samsung through their website today with a question on the 100 Hz feature in B550 plasma.. got a prompt call from their customer care and here's what they confirmed..

Bad News
- the 100 Hz feature is inbuilt into the model and can't be altered by the users
Good News
- the service menu has this option though he did not talk too much about what are the possible values.. if this feature can indeed be turned off in the service menu, it might be possible to sidestep the 50 Hz motion issue, though one can't say for sure whether it'll have any detrimental effects on the overall picture quality.. i hope not..
- the model is not being discontinued..

I checked with Ezone chennai, Mylapore branch and they told it is in stock and available in their Godown and not in display.

Regards

Srini

guys, any details on availability of B550?

Hi Navin

I have a contact who is working with the Samsung store here, the update is for the festival Samsung wanted to push sales for its LED tv's hence they did not order nor manufacture the B550 panels. Hence you will not even find them on display in most of the places and no one has stock

By November end - December you should start seeing the stock coming in the market, but he was doubtful as to how many pieces would come out.

Wish Samsung higher up's read our thread to see, how many plasma sales they have missed out this Diwali , with most of the customers going for LG or Panasonic plasma.

Once the stock is available locally my contact will update me . For now best is to wait and watch.

Hi Navin

I have a contact who is working with the Samsung store here, the update is for the festival Samsung wanted to push sales for its LED tv's hence they did not order nor manufacture the B550 panels. Hence you will not even find them on display in most of the places and no one has stock

By November end - December you should start seeing the stock coming in the market, but he was doubtful as to how many pieces would come out.

Wish Samsung higher up's read our thread to see, how many plasma sales they have missed out this Diwali , with most of the customers going for LG or Panasonic plasma.

Once the stock is available locally my contact will update me . For now best is to wait and watch.

Thanks for your reply bro...

2day i went 2 ezone chennai(T.Nagar branch) and asked abt availability of b550. They made a call to chennai samsung sales manager(i doubt it ;)) n asked him 2 speak 2 me. wat he said waz tat b550 is a imported model n its not easily available here in india. it mite b available in 15 days or it might even take 30+ days. n he also asked me 2 go with 46" led :p:...

any way if some1 find it available, plz let us know.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back