Samsung LA40A610 or LA40A550P1 ?

nikhil_j

Guys, looking for an lcd for around 80k.
Minimum 40", ve short listed sam a610 and a550p1, so wat do u guys think?..

Hi Nikhil,

Go for a PANASONIC plasma instead. 42" plasma will cost you around
50k. It is better than LCD any given day.

rajneesh

Hi Nikhil,

Go for a PANASONIC plasma instead. 42" plasma will cost you around
50k. It is better than LCD any given day.

rajneesh

But isn't it 720p? wouldn't it be better to be future ready with 1080p?
both the models i mentioned were full HD.

Guys, looking for an lcd for around 80k.
Minimum 40", ve short listed sam a610 and a550p1, so wat do u guys think?..

There is not much difference between the units. The 610 has more inputs + USB 2.0. At this rateyou can go for the cheaper one you should be happy with either of them.

I tend to agree with others... go for a plasma 42" or even bigger 46/50"

Samsung has a decent 42" (450 series) model for around 60K, its720p.

Decent picture, good sound and in any case you will hardly be able to make out the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" screen.

The current DVDs or even the television program do not belt out 1080p. Whatever HD transmission is being currently available, it is at 720p and currently none is available in India.

You could also consider the 42 inch Panasonic Plasma PV8 ..which is HD ready and about the same price as the Samsung A450.

I am evaluating between the two and have almost made up my mind to go with the PV8.

Thanks guys for the suggestions...
I ve noticed that the response times for lcd is poor(atleast in lower end) wen compared to plasma panels, would it make a world of difference, or just another statistic?..
And would a full HD display able to handle SD well? or will there be some artifacts?..

Last edited:
You could also consider the 42 inch Panasonic Plasma PV8 ..which is HD ready and about the same price as the Samsung A450.

I am evaluating between the two and have almost made up my mind to go with the PV8.

Dear Sriramaiyer,

Go with the Samsung, much better after sales service and good sleek looks. it is also HD ready 720p. (1024 X768), accept 1080 p signal also. If you are fond of games, then you can also enjoy 3D movies and games on your monitor. :rolleyes:

What is the resolution of the Panasonic, if its 1360x768, then go for Panasonic since this resolution is a true 16:9 format and very few plasma come with it.....
Enjoy;)

nikhil_j,

Depends on your usage. For TV, SD DVD, Divx, etc. at the screen size you are looking i.e. 40" a plasma would be a better option. I too would give my vote for the Panasonic PV8 (in fact going to pick another one of the same in a couple of days) simply because of its VFM. Full HD would come into play for Blu-Ray content (which we don't have much of anyways) or for gaming on the PS3 etc. but even here I have used the PS3 on a 29" CRT TV and it did not take anything away from enjoying the game. Only in the very high graphics games would the Full HD glory stand out, but you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between HD Ready and Full HD. Only in screens 50" or more would the difference be noticeable (and not much of a difference I would add).

Instead of splurging 80K, going for the PV8 at around 54K is a much better deal. You can put the remaining 25K in getting an Oppo 983 or something similar.

Dear Sriramaiyer,

Go with the Samsung, much better after sales service and good sleek looks. it is also HD ready 720p. (1024 X768), accept 1080 p signal also. If you are fond of games, then you can also enjoy 3D movies and games on your monitor. :rolleyes:

What is the resolution of the Panasonic, if its 1360x768, then go for Panasonic since this resolution is a true 16:9 format and very few plasma come with it.....
Enjoy;)

Nope, the PV8 too is at 1024 x 768, but my vote is still with Panasonic.

:D
The thread has now become LCD v/s Plasma......

Actually Moserw.... I had auditioned both the Panasonic and Samsung side by side and had gone for the Samsung Plasma due to its sleeker looks, 3D capability, lower power consumption.....the picture quality looked the same, I tested both for same DVD and TV content.
I already own some other Samsung stuff like a smaller LCD and a refrigerator which are really value for money and their after-sales service is really excellent. Try to call their service department and see the response.... I went for it

Samsung PS42A450P1 : MRP 65K, can get it for 55K
Panasonic TH42PV80H : MRP 69K, Can get for 64K
Panasonic TH-42PV8H : MRP 64K, can get for 48K

As for written down specs,,The contrast ratio is 30k:1 for samsung,while the panasonic is 15K:1.. Power consumption is 300 against 335 w for panasonic.

Thanks guys for the suggestions...
I ve noticed that the response times for lcd is poor(atleast in lower end) wen compared to plasma panels, would it make a world of difference, or just another statistic?..
And would a full HD display able to handle SD well? or will there be some artifacts?..

well the response time wont make much of a difference if its 8 or below it its good,but the human eye wont be able to tell the difference b/w a 2ms and a 8ms,manufactures use digital overdrive to enhance the response time.

well a FHD tv be it lcd or plasma will not handle SD as good as a low resolution plasma(1024x768) or even a low resolution lcd(1366x768).but high end lcd and plasmas have realy good upscaling tech.series 6 has a much better image processing then the samsung series 5,the 100hz tech in series 6 increases the motion resolution.
in end if u watch SD with a small share of HD u can get a plasma since VFM is its primary advantage.
but if u are a gamer,and have a bunch of planet earth videos etc get a FHD lcd.

Dear Sriramaiyer,

Enjoy;)

Well they all are jus 1024x720, which is way too low and not even 16:9.
Thats why i think its better to go for full HD, its just 8 or 10k that separates them.

Dear Nikhil j,
all these LCD and plasma panels are 16:9 format ( wide screen) the HD, the HD ready and SD.

It depends a lot as to what you will be using your TV for:

1). Are you going to watch a lot of DVD and TV programmes : Yes , Plasma scores.
2). Would you be watching a lot of Blu-Ray or HD content and play High end games on PS3/Xbox : Yes, then LCD
3). Are you going to watch in very brightly lit room ( like Show rooms) : Then LCD scores.
4). Normal to Dark room room lighting : Plasma scores

5).Smooth images : Plasma
6).Angle of Viewing : Plasma
7). Action without trailing ( thats were refresh rate comes): Plasma
8). Power consumption : LCD

with the same amount of money go for the bigger sized Plasma...you will not regret.
Anyway, audition them once more before you take the plunge

ENJOY Hope above explanation helps

Dear Nikhil j,
all these LCD and plasma panels are 16:9 format ( wide screen) the HD, the HD ready and SD.

Well excuse me if i am wrong, but i don think it is 16:9 Gurudristi.
As u may know, aspect ratio is calculated by dividing the no. of horizontal pixels by vertical pixels, which in this case is 1024/768 which amounts to 4:3, which is your normal aspect ratio not the wide one.
They manage to give u a wide screen experience by changing the spacing between these pixels(viz horizontal spacing) which again leads to pixelation.

But anyway, about my usage, isn't it better to be future ready, because u rarely change the television, and the future is HD, one way or the other.

Well excuse me if i am wrong, but i don think it is 16:9 Gurudristi.
As u may know, aspect ratio is calculated by dividing the no. of horizontal pixels by vertical pixels, which in this case is 1024/768 which amounts to 4:3, which is your normal aspect ratio not the wide one.

A simple way to see if it is widescreen (which is what is required for HD) is to divide one no. by another.

Eg., 16/9 = 1.777 and 1024/720 = 1.4222 so it means it wont support HD resolution. You need a minimum 1280/720 to get to this.

:D
The thread has now become LCD v/s Plasma......

Actually Moserw.... I had auditioned both the Panasonic and Samsung side by side and had gone for the Samsung Plasma due to its sleeker looks, 3D capability, lower power consumption.....the picture quality looked the same, I tested both for same DVD and TV content.
I already own some other Samsung stuff like a smaller LCD and a refrigerator which are really value for money and their after-sales service is really excellent. Try to call their service department and see the response.... I went for it

Samsung PS42A450P1 : MRP 65K, can get it for 55K
Panasonic TH42PV80H : MRP 69K, Can get for 64K
Panasonic TH-42PV8H : MRP 64K, can get for 48K

As for written down specs,,The contrast ratio is 30k:1 for samsung,while the panasonic is 15K:1.. Power consumption is 300 against 335 w for panasonic.

Have you actually used the 3D capability on the A450 ?

I haven't managed a side by side comparison but didn't find a significant difference between the A450 and the PV8 .. though the dealers tell me that PV8 is 400 Hz while the A450 is 100 Hz .. no sure how much of an impact this makes.

Anyway, since the PV8 is cheaper by 5 - 7 K ... is 3D capability + possibly superior customer service of samsung worth the price difference ... I am still inclined towards the PV8 :)

..want to make the purchase before the new year .. any suggestions on where I could get the PV8 for 48K (or less) in Bangalore. I will be buying the TV along with Onkyo 5100 ( auditioned other HT combinations over the weekend..pure acoustics / Jamo / Elac with various AVR's) and finally decided that the best way forward (for me) would be to start with the 5100 package and get better speakers down the line.... I have a one year old daughter ..so not too comfortable with floor standing speakers.

A simple way to see if it is widescreen (which is what is required for HD) is to divide one no. by another.

Eg., 16/9 = 1.777 and 1024/720 = 1.4222 so it means it wont support HD resolution. You need a minimum 1280/720 to get to this.

Well thank you marsilians for simplifyin it, i ve a geeky tendency sometimes:D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back