Samsung Panel replacement vs Sony 55" vs Vu 65"

karan382

Hello Friends,

I was hoping for some quick advise from you experts here. I have a 3 year old Samsung 55 inch 4k LED (Series 6 KU6470) which to my horror got physically damaged and it lead to severe color bleeding (though no damage from the outside). On speaking with service people I was told to that i will need to get the panel replaced which at the company will cost between 40k - 45k (1 year warranty) and in aftermarket around 35k (no warranty).

Now the question is that whether it worth spending this much on r
replacement panel on Samsung ? My family has advised against it considering that these days one can get a 55 inch 4k TV between 50k - 60k. I saw a few LEDs and shortlisted the Sony 4k 7500H 55 inch which i can get for an excellent price of 60k by using some past Sony store credit. And the Vu ultra 4k 65 inch which will also cost me 60k approx.

Though I am tempted by the larger 65 inch Vu but when I compared the picture quality next to the Sony 55" 7500H I felt that it was quite low. Even on seeing some HD quality cricket highlights via YouTube om VU, I felt that the picture was pixelating specially during fast motion scenes. May be I am wrong in my analysis because nearly all Vu reviews on Youtube etc. give it top ratings. Am I missing out on something here ?

I will greatly appreciate if you can advise me in getting a new panel on my Samsung vs Sony 55" 7500H vs VU Ultra 4k 65". I need to make this decission soon as my Sony store credit can be utilized only by this month. Is the 65" worth the picture quality compromise vs the 55" Sony ? Will my Samsung work like new with replacement panel and i am better of saving the 15k ? My viewing distance is approx 12 - 13 feet. The Vu comes with a 3 year warranty which is also an advantage (though we may be moving to Sinagpore next year and plan to take this TV along with us).

Eagerly awaiting your inputs.

Eagerly waiting your inputs. Thanks

Looks like your samsung was not a high end model, so my preference will be to get a new tv. There is added benefit of better smart features in a new television.
Sony x7500h is good option with a VA type panel, at least in the US model x750h.

You can go with 2019 Samsung RU7470 or the latest T version of it, I didn't have any issues with this so far. However,
- pale colors when watching from side angles
- No eARC
- patchy implementation of ARC
- no android tv

Thanks. Honestly I want to stay away from Samsungs now as I was not very impressed with it. But is Vu a No no ? I read a few threads of Vu here and there were several complaints from users specially if the RAW image quality on the 65" and poor images in fast motion scenes.

Also in case i get the panel replaced on my Samsung, will I get the same quality as before ?

I read that the Sony 7500H does not support Dolby vision. I am wondering how much of a handicap will they be considering that I wil be using the TV to view a lot of high quality & 4k content on Netflix etc. and DTH HD channels ?

Thanks

I did own the x7500f. While the PQ was good, I didn’t find the motion upto the mark against my previous Sony’s, when comparing DTH content. Good to hear the current iteration is better.

For me, PQ is paramount. I wouldn’t really care if the TV has less features or is the smaller of the two, as long as the PQ is superior.

It’s ultimately up to you. If you want the bigger size get the VU, if you prefer picture quality get the x7500h.

Hello Friends,

I was hoping for some quick advise from you experts here. I have a 3 year old Samsung 55 inch 4k LED (Series 6 KU6470) which to my horror got physically damaged and it lead to severe color bleeding (though no damage from the outside). On speaking with service people I was told to that i will need to get the panel replaced which at the company will cost between 40k - 45k (1 year warranty) and in aftermarket around 35k (no warranty).

Now the question is that whether it worth spending this much on r
replacement panel on Samsung ? My family has advised against it considering that these days one can get a 55 inch 4k TV between 50k - 60k. I saw a few LEDs and shortlisted the Sony 4k 7500H 55 inch which i can get for an excellent price of 60k by using some past Sony store credit. And the Vu ultra 4k 65 inch which will also cost me 60k approx.

Though I am tempted by the larger 65 inch Vu but when I compared the picture quality next to the Sony 55" 7500H I felt that it was quite low. Even on seeing some HD quality cricket highlights via YouTube om VU, I felt that the picture was pixelating specially during fast motion scenes. May be I am wrong in my analysis because nearly all Vu reviews on Youtube etc. give it top ratings. Am I missing out on something here ?

I will greatly appreciate if you can advise me in getting a new panel on my Samsung vs Sony 55" 7500H vs VU Ultra 4k 65". I need to make this decission soon as my Sony store credit can be utilized only by this month. Is the 65" worth the picture quality compromise vs the 55" Sony ? Will my Samsung work like new with replacement panel and i am better of saving the 15k ? My viewing distance is approx 12 - 13 feet. The Vu comes with a 3 year warranty which is also an advantage (though we may be moving to Sinagpore next year and plan to take this TV along with us).

Eagerly awaiting your inputs.

Eagerly waiting your inputs. Thanks
Did you consider x7400h available on flipkart at 64000 rs ?

Thanks. Honestly I want to stay away from Samsungs now as I was not very impressed with it. But is Vu a No no ? I read a few threads of Vu here and there were several complaints from users specially if the RAW image quality on the 65" and poor images in fast motion scenes.

Also in case i get the panel replaced on my Samsung, will I get the same quality as before ?

I read that the Sony 7500H does not support Dolby vision. I am wondering how much of a handicap will they be considering that I wil be using the TV to view a lot of high quality & 4k content on Netflix etc. and DTH HD channels ?

Thanks

Well the fast motion on VU will have issues it being a 60HZ panel. The 65 inch 4K Ultra model if I am not wrong was 50K on Android somedays back. Thats a lot of screen size for that money. The same size in Samsung and Sony would be more than 80-90K. Of course end of the day, you get what you pay for and VU to a normal TV viewer will have everything required. Seem on thread and reviews that VU has somewhat better upscalar when compared to other budget brands like MI, TCL, Nokia etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that in terms of price per inch the Vu Ultra is a good buy. But I am not sure whether I would want to compromise on picture quality for extra inches. The more reviews I read the more I find VU users complaining about washed out colors, fast motion issues and not so good viewing angles etc. I wish that my negative analysis of the Vu is incorrect but in case it is not then it will make a very unhappy buyer:)

Since this will be my third 47" + smart LED (I am still using a 3D LG 47" LED and then moves to the Samsung 55" 4k) therefore I would not want to take a chance on the PQ.

I have compared a few Sony 2020 models and I am now seriously considering the 55X8000H due to the dolby vision feature and possible better upscaling and PQ when compared to the 7500H. Though non technically speaking I understand that the 8000H still will not offer the top PQ in the dark mobie scenes in low lighted rooms. For that i need to upgrade to 9500 models which is way beyond my budget :(.

The 8000H will effectively cost me only 7k more than the 7500H thanks to my store credits. Is it worth it?

Thanks again for the useful inputs and I look forward to more.

PS - how much maximum can I expect by selling my Samsung in its current state ? The top offer that I have received is 5k, will it be realistic to get 10k for it ? Thanks

Sorry, missed one more clarification request in my previous reply. In non technical terms I want to avoid those grayish cloudy patches in the blacks in dark scenes and specially when watching in a dark room. I notice this in my LG and the Samsung was not remarkably better. Can I expect a significant improvement in the Somy 7500h or the 8000h ? Thanks

I did own the x7500f. While the PQ was good, I didn’t find the motion upto the mark against my previous Sony’s, when comparing DTH content. Good to hear the current iteration is better.

For me, PQ is paramount. I wouldn’t really care if the TV has less features or is the smaller of the two, as long as the PQ is superior.

It’s ultimately up to you. If you want the bigger size get the VU, if you prefer picture quality get the x7500h.
I second this. Always we can make a dumb tv really smart with a tv box like amazon or Apple TV or any cheaper android box. But if panel is garbage what’s the point of the tv itself?

Sorry, missed one more clarification request in my previous reply. In non technical terms I want to avoid those grayish cloudy patches in the blacks in dark scenes and specially when watching in a dark room. I notice this in my LG and the Samsung was not remarkably better. Can I expect a significant improvement in the Somy 7500h or the 8000h ? Thanks

Don’t think that will happen on HD content. SD content and HD upscaled content, definitely. If you’re considering x8000h, consider the x9500g as well, if possible. It is the best of the Sony LCD lineup. Will likely be the best for another year as well looking at x9500h having launched in 75” only.

I second this. Always we can make a dumb tv really smart with a tv box like amazon or Apple TV or any cheaper android box. But if panel is garbage what’s the point of the tv itself?
Rightly said. Even applies to OS. I like the LG OS better than the clunky Sony android, for example. But would any day take the x9500g due to the better PQ.

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the valuable inputs. Few developments-

I visited a Sony Center and a multi brand store today again with my wife to have another look at the LED models. I compared the 7500H 8000H and 9500G side by side. Clearly the 9500G was awesome in terms of back lighting and clarity. Coming second I could not make out a significant difference between the PQ of 7500H and 8000H. However all the experts say that when buying a TV at this price point that doesn't have Dolby Vision can be a big handicap with more and more Dolby content coming on Netflix etc. Accordingly I am again focusing on the 8000H but somehow I was not that impressed with the PQ on the Tata Sky channels test atleast. Honestly I did not find much difference between the 8000H and my 3.5 year old Samsung KU6470 !

Keeping in mind the practical facts that we will mostly be watching mostly HD content on Netflix etc. & Tata sky HD channels and some 4k content. Most of our viewing will be at night in minimum lighting room. Is my analysis of the PQ of 8000H being just about good enough, correct?

To add to this I watched a few reviews on YouTube today wherein it was repeatedly mentioned that the 8000H (and 7500H) have IPS panels that will make the blacks looks greyish in low lights. Though the Sony Center rep insisted that Sony does not do IPS panels at all. Is that correct ?

Ideally the right choice will be the 9500G but it is much beyond my budget. Remember how I started my search with the 7000G :) And yes now my wife insists on buying the 65"only in whatever model we choose. So clearly that destroys my budget as well.

Inviting more feedback on whether the 8000H will be an enjoyable experience or will it loose it charm in a few days and make me regret on not going for the 9500G.

Thanks for your time.

That's the main reason I got rid of my x7500f. The upscaling was abysmal. If I had the option to get my old hx750 (from 2013), I would get it in a heartbeat. The picture on SD and HD was perfect, the blacks, motion and PQ were better than my 2019 TV. So what was the difference? It only had android TV with way worse PQ. Not an upgrade in any sense.

There was a time when the top end TV's were LCD's, mid range models were not the best but were still in the same range of PQ as top ends. This unfortunately is not the case now. Top end's are OLED's. High end LCD's are akin to the mid range TV of before, the mid range are the low end equivalent now (in terms of PQ). The focus on mid range is more on feature cramming than PQ, to reduce costs.

My advice would be to check other brands as well, if upscaling is an important criteria. Some brands may do it better. Alternatively, if 4k isn't as important (usage is DTH primarily), check some Full HD tv's to see if the DTH content is coming through better.

That's the main reason I got rid of my x7500f. The upscaling was abysmal. If I had the option to get my old hx750 (from 2013), I would get it in a heartbeat. The picture on SD and HD was perfect, the blacks, motion and PQ were better than my 2019 TV. So what was the difference? It only had android TV with way worse PQ. Not an upgrade in any sense.

There was a time when the top end TV's were LCD's, mid range models were not the best but were still in the same range of PQ as top ends. This unfortunately is not the case now. Top end's are OLED's. High end LCD's are akin to the mid range TV of before, the mid range are the low end equivalent now (in terms of PQ). The focus on mid range is more on feature cramming than PQ, to reduce costs.

My advice would be to check other brands as well, if upscaling is an important criteria. Some brands may do it better. Alternatively, if 4k isn't as important (usage is DTH primarily), check some Full HD tv's to see if the DTH content is coming through better.
Thanks...i agree with what you are saying. The reason why I am limiting myself to Sony is for the credit that will in effect be near 35% of the MRP.

But are you saying that 4k TVs are not best suited for DTH ? And yes upscaling is a big factor for me.

Our viewing will be broadly 60% Netflix/Prime/Hotstar etc. 20% Tata sky and 20% YouTube approx.

Given that we are in 2020, what will you recommend in a price range of under 1 L ?

Thanks

Thanks...i agree with what you are saying. The reason why I am limiting myself to Sony is for the credit that will in effect be near 35% of the MRP.

But are you saying that 4k TVs are not best suited for DTH ? And yes upscaling is a big factor for me.

Our viewing will be broadly 60% Netflix/Prime/Hotstar etc. 20% Tata sky and 20% YouTube approx.

Given that we are in 2020, what will you recommend in a price range of under 1 L ?

Thanks
For 55, 950G or C8/C9 if you can stretch to 1.2
For 65, Hisense H8G is the only worthy option in that budget.

How much is the viewing distance? Did you check the TVs in the store from the same distance?

Thanks

I am yet to see a Sony 4k LCD TV which upscales DTH well. Try a full HD set to see if the upscaling is better. If it is still worse, it could be an issue with the current satellite compression and the TV's capability to upscale it. I have seen a friends w772e which was amazing in terms of cable PQ. He had a wired local cable connection, which could be the solution.

Within your budget and Sony brand, it will only be the x8000h in the 65" lineup as the x9500g retails for 1.5-1.6.

For 55, 950G or C8/C9 if you can stretch to 1.2
For 65, Hisense H8G is the only worthy option in that budget.

How much is the viewing distance? Did you check the TVs in the store from the same distance?
Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to convince my wife to settle for the 9500G 55" but she insists on a 65" :(...i shall keep om trying for this week :)

I definitely want to avoid a new brand making its entry into India (Hisense). Also from what I have read the reviews it is essentially a repacked Vu and I have found PQ of VU to be very disappointing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to convince my wife to settle for the 9500G 55" but she insists on a 65" :(...i shall keep om trying for this week :)

I definitely want to avoid a new brand making its entry into India (Hisense). Also from what I have read the reviews it is essentially a repacked Vu and I have found PQ of VU to be very disappointing.
Not repacked VU. VU is a repacked Hisense. And no, vu has nothing that compares to H8G. It's an excellent mid range TV in the US for the price. But yes, I will suggest waiting for some actual reviews to be out once it is launched.

I am yet to see a Sony 4k LCD TV which upscales DTH well. Try a full HD set to see if the upscaling is better. If it is still worse, it could be an issue with the current satellite compression and the TV's capability to upscale it. I have seen a friends w772e which was amazing in terms of cable PQ. He had a wired local cable connection, which could be the solution.

Within your budget and Sony brand, it will only be the x8000h in the 65" lineup as the x9500g retails for 1.5-1.6.
Thanks for the suggestion. So if I understand you correctly none of the Sonys (including the 9500G) can upscale well. I was under the impression that Sony with its best processor will be better than competition when it comes to upscaling. Also is there any function that has to be enabled for upscaling or is all the content automatically upscaled ?

We use Tata sky HD+ box only and are viewing of SD channels will be minimum.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back