Samsung Panel replacement vs Sony 55" vs Vu 65"

Quick update. Reveived my 950G 55" today evening by 6 pm followed by an immediate installation by Sony. Super professional.

Initial reactions:

- beautiful TV. Very rich looking as expected from Sony.
- watched some HDR, DV content. Awesome. Excellent back lighting and colors.
- veiwing in dark room is a superb experience. No reflection ans very good viewing angles.
- DTH content - good enough, can be made better with some picture settings, i hope.
- I could have DEFINITELY gone for a 65".

I think I need to search for some good picture settings. I have seen a lot of calibrations on the web - Rtings etc. Too many options and too technical for my understanding. Any recommendations on where to find a more simplified and step by step to the best settings for DTH content and Full HD movies on OTT ? HDR and DV is more or less auto (I guess).

I will share more thoughts as and when I have a new and bettwr experience. I think this was a great choice of the model but mistake in terms of size.

Thank you all for your wonderful support.
Hello everyone (again),

So watched a fair bit of the 950G over the weekend and I can share a few more inputs with you all:

SD quality channels - more or less same as perhaps any other good quality LED model. I cannot notice much upscaling as such. Presuming the upscaling should be automatic.

HD quality channels- again good enough, but nothing to rave a lot about. However watching the T20 match was a great experience. The back lighting and colors really came out in that watch. However when I watch English movies on HBO HD or another English movies HD channel I can see thay picture quaoity is not that high end. May be it is because I have watched a movies that were filmed 7-10 years ago and so.the quality may not be thag good ? I think some good picture settings should help even better the experience.

HD quality content on OTT - I am not sure what is the resolution of the normal content on Netlfix, Prime etc. 720p or 1080p, but the PQ is quite good while watching such content. Again the back lighting and the Triluminious colors make it worth the watch.

HDR/4K content on OTT - This where the 950G really shines. The PQ, the motion handling, the colors...all are superb. However I think the Netflix mode is over hyped. To the contrary IMO it lessens the viewing experience as it really darkens/dulls the colors (OLED like expereince). I am not sure whether Nerflix content is originally filmed to be viewed at that quality. I generally disable this feature unless I am watching a late night show and I want to take it easy on my eyes (very much like changing the Picture setting to a cinema mode for less brightness etc.). Also irrespetove of the Picture mode I choose, I always disable the Flim Mode as I have never liked the effect of that real time like effect.

Operating System - Great ! Very smooth...no lag whatsoever. There is a software update pending for me to install. Not sure what the new features will be post the update. But then again I don't think in today's day and age any premium TV brand really offers a laggy OS. I remember my 4 year Old Samsung's OS worked just fine as well for all the basic OTT platforms.

Size - Should have definitely gone for a 65". I strongly recommend that if your viewing distance is 10-11 feet or more...just buy the bigger size. Size matters!
[A crazy thing - but I am actually looking for a purchaser who can buy this TV off me for 90K (fixed) and I will go for the 65" 950G immediately. Any takers?]

Simply and non technically putting it - the 950G has a great panel and offers everything that one requires in a premium LED. The full array back lighting and the Trilimunious colors really make this model shine! But then I also feel that on an apples to apples comparision all high end models of the premium LED brands - Samsung Q90s LGs Nano Cell etc. will offer a very good viewing experience too. What matters is the content you are watching. I am unable the appreciate the minute differences and points that all Youtube bloggers are so convincing able to differentiate between 2 high end LEDs. May be the quality of the content in Westerm countries really has a play, but in India/ Asia a good high end LED will be as good as its immediate competitor unless the user really knows his science really well. I am a fairly critical user (having dismissed the Sony 8500 etc. due to bad PQ IMO) and I feel that as of today and in my budget the 950G is as good as it will get. I am not getting into OLEDS as thay can be a different debate all together and somehow i have found the PQ of Oleds too dull for my liking.

Hope the above review (in its simplest form) will help any prospective purchasers of the 950G. And yes PM me if you want to buy my 950G 55" for 90k.

Now for a few questions to all you experts:

1. I have connected my Sony XB650bt Bluetooth headphones to my LED, but I have been noticing a visible lag between the dialogues and the lip movements if the characters. I am not sure what the issue is or how can I fix this ? Software updates on either device / Resets etc. ? It is quite annoying.

2. Is there a way that I can connect 2 bluetooth headphones (XB65O and say Galaxy buds or Airpods) to the TV at the same time ? My wife and I would like to watch the TV at night and not disturb the kids. I read about connecting a BT transmitter to the TV and then connecting both Bluetooth devices to it. I am not really sure how this will work. Any links and BT transmitter models that you can share with me and I can buy it from Amazon. Want to keep the spend to minimum and that also only if the connectivity will work seamlessly.

3. Please suggest any good picture settings to help improve the viewng experience, specially for the DTH content and anything I can do better the upsclaing ?

Thanks

Thanks, I had another look at the 9000H (both 55 and 65) today morning. I felt that the 55 inch was a bit clearer from a viewing distance of 9-10 feet. The 65" somehow lacked the refinement. May be it just my mind telling me to save the money.

As for the quote, i have a different scenario. I have a credit note that I have to use. But you can get the 9000H for approx 1L....which I think is a good price.
I personally tested a lot with viewing distance both for my bedroom as well as my living room.

I find SMPTE viewing distance comfortable for watching regular 720p-1080p videos and THX viewing distance is great for watching 4k movies. According to your viewing distance, you definitely need a 65" and above. Going beyond 65" in India is not a wise choice since it is overpriced. But if you get a bigger TV you can slightly move forward for optimal TV viewing experience.

Another best idea to verify your comfortable viewing distance is to sit at a comfortable distance and spread your arms forward so that the width of the TV falls in between your hands and that's the viewing angle you are currently sitting at. You can decide which is your comfortable position by moving closer and far from the TV and note that the content that you are watching is also very important.
I found these videos very useful. Hope this helps.

Hello everyone (again),

So watched a fair bit of the 950G over the weekend and I can share a few more inputs with you all:

Thanks

How are the viewing angles.Do you notice any color/brightness shift if you watch it from side.

How are the viewing angles.Do you notice any color/brightness shift if you watch it from side.
Well my set up is as such that I mostly view it at 90 degree. I have occasionally viewed it from a chair placed at approx 70 degree and it was fine. Again, of you want to view at a much more side angel in a large room, I will suggest at least a 65" screen size.

However when I watch English movies on HBO HD or another English movies HD channel I can see thay picture quaoity is not that high end
I think it's because while the satellite stream is 720p it doesn't have a high bit rate. That's why upscaling isn't what you are expecting.

Is there a way that I can connect 2 bluetooth headphones

I see this on amazon that should fulfill your requirement:

Both also claim to be lag-free so it should help there as well.

Last edited:
Finally got the 55 inch 9500 G from reliance digital, Kerala for 1,02,663 with three years warranty..This thread had been very helpful to choose the same..tv is yet to be delivered..
Congrats. Guys please post the prices in FALD price thread so that other member will also benefit from it

Ok...PANIC PANIC !

Just when I was having a wonderful viewing experience on my Sony 950G, I noticeD today when I am watching HDR content on Prime (B- the video starts with many horizontal lines on across top half of the screen (with a whitish - blueish tinge), but within 3-4 seconds the lines disappear and the video is perfect. Also when I pause the video there are more prominent horizontal lines across the entire screen, but then again on playing it all lines disappear within 3-4 seconds. This is happening on non HDR content wherein there are not many visible horizontal lines but the background on the top side does turn white - blue and then back to normal in 3-4 seconds.

I tried HDR and other content on Netflix etc. too and there is no issue there. It is only when watching Prime content.

Can someone please advise me as to what is happening here ? Is it a hardware defect ? I am sure Sony will not agree to this because everything else plays just well.

The more I am looking at this issue the more it is making me crazy. Your expert advise is once again requested.

I have clear photos and videos showing this happening, but I am unable to attach the same here due to file size restrictions.

Very anxious !

The more I am looking at this issue the more it is making me crazy. Your expert advise is once again requested.

Yo I am no expert but have heard a lot of complains regarding Prime Video app working weirdly in a lot of TVs (Android, Tizen, Panasonic).
Every complain is of the same type: "My TV works fine everywhere except in Prime Video, I see X happening". Try updating to a new version, if its not officially available in app store, try sideloading it. Or try an older version of the app.

Yo I am no expert but have heard a lot of complains regarding Prime Video app working weirdly in a lot of TVs (Android, Tizen, Panasonic).
Every complain is of the same type: "My TV works fine everywhere except in Prime Video, I see X happening". Try updating to a new version, if its not officially available in app store, try sideloading it. Or try an older version of the app.
Thanks for sharing this info. I googled quite a bit on this and saw several posts of users complaining about this issue specially using Prime. The broad analysis being that in some LEDS the format used by Prime mismatches and gives this banding issue. Luckily for me this happens only for 3-4 seconds and therefore worst case I can live with it.

I will look for other version updates and see whether this fixes the problem.

Otherwise the 950G is quite a fantastic TV.

Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back