Samsung Plasma 51F5500 Owners Thread /Reviews/Discussions!!

I am planning to purchase this weekend , can anybody plz suggest how to check the panel usage for the new series. We had a bad experience when my cousin brought the plasma from one of the Samsung Dealer in Hyderabad , he delivered the TV which is used for 530 Hrs.

Your help is much appreciated.

I am planning to purchase this weekend , can anybody plz suggest how to check the panel usage for the new series. We had a bad experience when my cousin brought the plasma from one of the Samsung Dealer in Hyderabad , he delivered the TV which is used for 530 Hrs.

Your help is much appreciated.

Yikes! That's pretty scary. I actually prefer to pick up and carry the TV with me, that reduces the risk of getting a packed in demo piece.

Yikes! That's pretty scary. I actually prefer to pick up and carry the TV with me, that reduces the risk of getting a packed in demo piece.

Though that reduces risk, it does not completely eliminate it. How would you know that a previous display piece was not repacked?

Today I booked this budget performer. This after waiting for few months and evaluating many models both LED & Plasma, finally opted for this one as it ticked right for most of my requirements and the price was mouthwatering. Will get the delivery tomorrow. Thanks to the forum and its learned members who gave a lot of valuable guidance on how to evaluate the TV.

Today I booked this budget performer. This after waiting for few months and evaluating many models both LED & Plasma, finally opted for this one as it ticked right for most of my requirements and the price was mouthwatering. Will get the delivery tomorrow. Thanks to the forum and its learned members who gave a lot of valuable guidance on how to evaluate the TV.

Heartiest congratulations.

Shaiju, Kix.. Thanx

Actually I wanted something bigger, even eyed 64F8500 as well. But as I have said earlier, it does not fit in the place designed for the TV (apart from quite a bit out of budget). So the max size can be only 55", which available in India only in LED. Only one that was at affordable range of around 1 lac was Pana's 55ET5D, which was costing around 95K. So was mulling whether I should go for it, but I got to see a demo of the 5500 at Samsung store, and liked it. It is not a looker from panel design point of view, but I liked the PQ. Also in the meantime I had to fit in my wife's demand for a fridge also in that budget, so went for a combined purchase worth 91k alongwith the 321 ltr (inverter tech) fridge. The emi process from Bajaj was breeze and really hassle-free. So swiped the card for the down-payment and expecting the items by today.

Now I need to take care of the initial period for burn-in and IR (will follow the Kix advise in this regard whatever he shared at the thread for this issue). I have enough fodder to last me few months as I have been collecting BDs for quite sometime including 3D BDs.

Only additional item I might have in near future is a sound bar or something similar to enhance the sound output as I stock sound output is average and can't produce any effect, the BDs allow you to enjoy, in this regard.

Planning to buy this feature packed 51" plasma but 300w electricity consumption compared to just 60w in 46" LEDs seems to be a big downside. Any suggestion ?

Planning to buy this feature packed 51" plasma but 300w electricity consumption compared to just 60w in 46" LEDs seems to be a big downside. Any suggestion ?

300W is peak consumption assuming panel is displaying all pure white colour. Realistic consumption is more like 180W.

46" LED tvs consume upto 140/150 watts and not 60W. That way your power consumption from TV usage will be double. Typically TV being used for 30-50 hrs a week. Even at the peak 50 hrs, e.g.200 hrs a month, the no of units consumed is 35 units. Against this, the consumption by plasma will be 65/70 units per month. So even at a cost of Rs 6/7 per unit, the difference will be about Rs 200/- per month. This is considering a higher usage of approx 6.5 hrs per day. Also the consumption of 300W is at peak brightness, e.g. a full white screen, normally the consumption will not cross 60-70% of that, which is about 200W.

I got 2 3D glasses free and ordered another 2 glasses from Ebay @ 1500.
I already have bluray player and Denon 1312xp which complements well with the TV

The two glasses at 1500 available at ebay are 4100GB which was for 2012 models. Whether this will work with 2013 models? Please confirm.

If yes, then I will also go for a pair at 1500 thru ebay-India.

The two glasses at 1500 available at ebay are 4100GB which was for 2012 models. Whether this will work with 2013 models? Please confirm.

The 3D glasses technology changed to universal 3D RF in 2012. It has not changed. 2012 3D glasses will work on 2013 TV models.

I also thought so, but you never know, anyway they are providing a new model 5100GB with the TV, which is also being shipped with all 2013 models including LEDs. That's why I was wondering?

Anyway thanks. I will get it from ebay as well.

46" LED tvs consume upto 140/150 watts and not 60W. That way your power consumption from TV usage will be double. Typically TV being used for 30-50 hrs a week. Even at the peak 50 hrs, e.g.200 hrs a month, the no of units consumed is 35 units. Against this, the consumption by plasma will be 65/70 units per month. So even at a cost of Rs 6/7 per unit, the difference will be about Rs 200/- per month. This is considering a higher usage of approx 6.5 hrs per day. Also the consumption of 300W is at peak brightness, e.g. a full white screen, normally the consumption will not cross 60-70% of that, which is about 200W.

Thanks for the details.

The 3D glasses model is 5100GB so its better you order that particular model :)

Yogi.. 5100GB is not available for retail in India as of now, even in Samy stores. Though it is available at AMZ-US for about $20, so landed cost will be somewhat like 1600 plus.

Anyway, the difference is only some weight and design and not any technical issue.

4100GB shall not be an issue as it is sold at a 10-15% premium overseas. I am going ahead with the ebay.in ones.

The two greatest drawbacks of Samsung 3D glasses are:

- Do not cover the eyes and lets in stray light from the sides
- The glasses do not fold and hence it is troublesome to store them away

Agreed, it's a pathetic design. It just a workable solution by their designers. In fact the Sony passive glasses are equally pathetic build.

The Sony active glasses are better build but are a bit heavy.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back