Samsung Plasma 51F5500 Owners Thread /Reviews/Discussions!!

Yogi.. 5100GB is not available for retail in India as of now, even in Samy stores. Though it is available at AMZ-US for about $20, so landed cost will be somewhat like 1600 plus.

Anyway, the difference is only some weight and design and not any technical issue.

4100GB shall not be an issue as it is sold at a 10-15% premium overseas. I am going ahead with the ebay.in ones.

Im using the 5100 GB and 4100GB .. you have the same effect.
I suggest one can go for 4100GB you can get it for less :)

Agreed, it's a pathetic design. It just a workable solution by their designers. In fact the Sony passive glasses are equally pathetic build.

The Sony active glasses are better build but are a bit heavy.

Vistors at my place who used 4100GB and 5100GB over their spectacles told me it was very comfortable to view. I have not seen the Sony ones yet.

Ok guys, there is a firmware update for tv. Something like ver 1103 while the existing version is 1101. Has anyone updated their tv's software to this version ?
How's the performance after the update ? Can we get the changelog for this update somewhere on the net ?

Ok guys, there is a firmware update for tv. Something like ver 1103 while the existing version is 1101. Has anyone updated their tv's software to this version ?
How's the performance after the update ? Can we get the changelog for this update somewhere on the net ?

I installed the update.There is no much considerable change apart from loads of apps installed .I dont understand why they have to install 10-15 apps without any user consent :( Not sure of the overall changes

Samsung has loads of apps. Often these apps get upgraded. New apps are also realeased. Hence Samsung has more frequent f/w updates than other TV brands.

Finally my TV is up and running. Wall mounted the same is just covering my entire wall mount area. The PQ is amazing, specially HD channels. Inserted the Hugo 3D BD disc and the 3D effect is wow.SD channels are bearable if you compare w.r.t. same sized LEDs.

Keeping the contrast lower at 60. Will run the break in slides today whole night.

Finally my TV is up and running. Wall mounted the same is just covering my entire wall mount area. The PQ is amazing, specially HD channels. Inserted the Hugo 3D BD disc and the 3D effect is wow.SD channels are bearable if you compare w.r.t. same sized LEDs.

Keeping the contrast lower at 60. Will run the break in slides today whole night.
Congratulations and enjoy.

Congrats man! Surprising but very good move.

Congrats man! Surprising but very good move.

Thanks, Shaiju. Actually as you know, I was looking for something big but moneyram was an issue. Among the LED I liked, the Sony 9 series is beyond my reach. The only one at a reachable level was 46w950, but then it is not big enough to make me happy. Then I happened to see this one, which I really liked and has everything I was looking for. And the finally the price Yogi negotiated was hard to resist. So finally went for this one. Thus I saved money to buy me enough original content like BDs and Dvds, which I can enjoy to the maximum. Also one more point 3D is amazing. So I am extremely happy.:yahoo:

hi everybody i am new to this forum.i am a die-hard fan of plasma.i have been using
panasonic plasmas for the past 5 years,first py80 then g10 and now v20 all 42 inches.i then decided to go for a bigger screen and wanted to go for a samsung plama.i went to the samsung showroom and took a demo of 51f5500 and to my surprise the picture of samsung was much better than any of my previous plasmas.the image is much more cleaner than panasonic.that means better clarity than panasonic.SD looks much better and HD even better.SD(DTH) on panasonic plasmas look very ordinary.samsung plasmas
have a digital look(more cleaner) and panasonic have an analogue look(less cleaner).i love the digital look and i have decided to purchase the f5500.

51F5500 though a very good TV, good enough to give excellent PQ, still like most of the other TVs the sound quality is below par. Just god only for Indian soap operas or may be News, definitely not for Movies. Now I need something which will augment this.

I have a Sony Component system with Dolby Prologic, with 5 speakers. I am yet to connect that, but whether that will suffice to get a respectable sound effect? The reason for not connecting the same as on today is that it has so many types of wires etc, that entire area looks like a web of speaker wires. So it is now kept away. Wondering whether I should get something new, and also that well with the looks.

Have shortlisted one F&D T780W Sound Bar 80 W with 1 subwoofer (40W) for bass plus it has 2HDMI in, 1HDMI out, 1Aux in, 2 RCA Input Ports, 1 Video Output.

F&D T780W Sound Bar - Buy Home Audio / Video Online at Lowest Price | Snapdeal.com

Another one is F&D F6000U 5.1 Multimedia Speakers - 13 W each satelite, 57W subwoofer, has USB, FM. No HDMI etc, only USB.

http://www.flipkart.com/f-d-f6000u-...+&+D&ref=e246ea18-ffbc-46db-84eb-4c33a6d28be8

Guys please help me finding a solution. I am no audiophile, but that does not mean that I can live with the crap coming out of the TV with the stock speakers specially while a movie is being played. I have a Sony S-490 BDP player. I can't go beyond 10K for that, and will be happy if it has FM, USB playability functions, but not essential. Primary need should sound good, shall not take huge space and with minimum amount of wires/ cables etc.

Last edited:
@manzb - And how are you going to connect that F&D T780W soundbar to TV ? Since our TV only has optical digital out for sound as far as I know. It doesn't have 3.5mm audio out, right ?

That soundbar has HDMI in so we need to connect via HDMI Audio Return Channel HDMI port on our TV, right ? :confused:

How about this JBL one for much less - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jbl-sb100-sound-bar/1177358?pos=9;88 ? ?

Last edited:
One option is definitely Aux in.

I need to figure out whether HDMI option can be used. Being a soundbar it is menat for TVs only, so the connectivity shall not be an issue.

The JBL one may be good, but lacks the subwoofer option!! Also connectivity options are limited. Issue is that there are not many reviews available online for the F&D product. Not sure whether I will achieve something, or should I just use my old Sony 5 speaker component system only.. :confused:

I have been a proud owner of the Sammy 51F5500 plasma since middle of May. In fact I am pretty sure that I was the first to grab this TV in Kolkata. I got it at a super low price of 65 k with four 3d glasses (got the additional two after hard bargaining). Got the TV wall-mounted and since then have enjoyed it immensely. I mainly watch HD movies and TV shows in mkv formats (do not ask how I get them :licklips:) and play video games (Xbox and PS3). I have to say this is clearly the best TV (47 to 51 inches range) you can buy for less than 80k. The 3D quality is awesome as well. Earlier I had LG and Vizio 3D LED TVs but this is much better than both of them.

The two things against this TV are the super reflective screen (do not bother me much since I prefer to watch in a dark environment) and occasionally there can be some image retention (however they go away pretty quickly). I have not experienced any buzzing at all.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back