Samsung Plasma PS50C6500 Owners Thread (Impressions,Settings, Issues)

Yes, you can. In general all firmware updates are a subset of all previous updates.

Yes, and nevertheless - these updates are full upgrades instead of incremental. In other words you are bound to loose earlier version and it doesn't matter which one you were using before.

Last edited:
Optical out

Has anyone tried optical out from the TV?

If a DVD is playing 5.1dolby digital/ dts track, will the TV pass it back from its optical?
Same question in case of a blu-ray connected to TV via hdmi. What audio will get passed.
I have an old receiver and I think it is not able to display the input format.

I WISH my TV is able to pass 5.1 to my non hdmi avr, so that connections would become simple - TS+, BR player, appletv, media players all go into the TV via hdmi and optical out from TV means only one optical cable needed. Will cut down the clutter significantly.

I tried changing the model to PC8000 using the service menu, and after changing the model the TV had no sound.

Could be due to the latest firmware having changed something. My TV is currently on version 1017.

Has anyone else tried changing the model post firmware 1017?

Also, can someone please list clear steps for enabling the PVR feature? The video posted earlier in the thread is not very legible.

I've now enabled PVR through the service menu.

I'm using a Sandisk USB stick, but not sure how to use the PVR feature to record something!

Anyone who has successfully used the PVR feature on C6500?

Has anyone tried optical out from the TV?

If a DVD is playing 5.1dolby digital/ dts track, will the TV pass it back from its optical?
Same question in case of a blu-ray connected to TV via hdmi. What audio will get passed.
I have an old receiver and I think it is not able to display the input format.

I WISH my TV is able to pass 5.1 to my non hdmi avr, so that connections would become simple - TS+, BR player, appletv, media players all go into the TV via hdmi and optical out from TV means only one optical cable needed. Will cut down the clutter significantly.
Unfortunately it wont work. It will only pass DD/DTS track from USB (or HD tuner if bought from Europe or North America).

I've now enabled PVR through the service menu.

I'm using a Sandisk USB stick, but not sure how to use the PVR feature to record something!

Anyone who has successfully used the PVR feature on C6500?
Don't expect the TV to act like a MPEG4 encoder for any content. PVR feature is nothing other than ripping off content from the Freeview HD Tuner from European model! No use in India! Its precisely like any other DVR's like TS+HD. Non actually "record" the content, it just copies what comes through the satellites.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back