Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

i just got a logitech k400 keybaord for this tv, cost me about 2k, but its a beauty for using the web browser. beats typing using the remote. even has a touchpad next to the keybord. anyone looking for the skype camera should check out ebay i think i saw it there
It is good for you. I find buying such extras for the TV a collosal waste of money when the humble laptop with webcam can do the job much better. But it is your money.

I feel we should never compare 2013 & 2012 models. At least, on paper 51F5500 looks better than 51E550. It's got Dual core CPU, IR extender, built-in voice controls & Smart touch remote (surprisingly no traditional remote as per the spec sheet). Face recognition ready & you need an add-on camera to use it.

The 51E550 sells for 78K. One should do a very close side-by-side comparison on which is better.

I feel we should never compare 2013 & 2012 models. At least, on paper 51F5500 looks better than 51E550. It's got Dual core CPU, IR extender, built-in voice controls & Smart touch remote (surprisingly no traditional remote as per the spec sheet). Face recognition ready & you need an add-on camera to use it.
Dear, all those features you mentioned, in my opinion are more or less useless. What matters is PQ alone. I am not saying E550 is better than F5500. I am saying, that there must be close comparison done and facts actually verified - which TV produces better picture?

I think dual cpu might add more teeth to smart features. The PQ may benefit only if the dsp chip is enhanced.

I am getting PS51E550 with 2 3D Glasses at 59k at Metro Yeshwantpur, Bangalore. Is it a good buy considering F550 is available already ? Any other alternative to consider ?

Ran in to my first problem with the TV. I won't call it a major one. The internal Wi Fi module died. I had not used it for long. The other day, I was trying to access my computer and found that I could not. On checking, it was listing my router but would not connect. On trying several attempts, it hung the tv and I had to cut power to the tv from the mains. Restarting the tv resulted in weird behavior in the network settings section. Some of the functions would appear enabled and switch to a disabled state. Logged a call with Samsung on Saturday and they have served me well. The TV is fixed in two days. They replaced the Wi Fi module in under two minutes. The support engineer did say they had received a few complaints of faulty Wi Fi modules in a certain batch of tv's. The new module should give no problems. This was a close one as I have just 10 days left before warranty expires.

It is going to be a year now and I have to say that the picture quality has stayed stunning. You have to watch soccer, F1 or a full hd movie to truly appreciate what Samsung have done to what is a basic plasma tv in their line up. Motion, color reproduction, contrast and black levels are incredible. My only complaint is the over reflective screen and the pathetic sound quality. Television broadcasts are alright but you can't hear anything when you watch a movie over Blu Ray or USB plug in.

Last edited:
On Monday morning when I switched on my TV,it made a 'clicking' sound and there was no picture,only sound.I registered a complaint through online chat.The service guys came and found fault in 'power supply board'.They took it away with them and said,"We'll replace it tomorrow with a new one".A few hours ago they told me it would be done on Wednesday morning.I'm waiting with bated breath.
Btw they told me that though there's a problem in the power supply it doesn't necessarily mean the root cause lies in it.Only when the power supply board is replaced it can be found out whether the problem is limited to it or lies beyond it,they added.

I'm awaiting responses from fellow members.
P:S-Only 11 days of warranty remains of the 1 year available.

Today power-supply board will b replaced.If it doesn't restore the TV then it means Y-Board is at fault.The engineer guy told me that they would replace the TV in that case as Y-Board is not in stock 'nowhere in India'.Yes, you heard me right!

Today power-supply board will b replaced.If it doesn't restore the TV then it means Y-Board is at fault.The engineer guy told me that they would replace the TV in that case as Y-Board is not in stock 'nowhere in India'.Yes, you heard me right!

How about using a voltage stabilizer ?

I'm already using a surge protector.But thinking on having a stabilizer.But then need a bit of work on the required specifications.

Last edited:
Samsung engineer just came with a new power-supply board.But concluded that Y-Main is at fault.As Y-Main is not available,he'll request for a Panel along with Y-Main.
Here I desperately need fellow members' advice.Can I request Samsung for a new tv rather than panel with Y-main?
Please give your suggestions along with precedents if any.

It's not for us but for Samsung to decide whether to replace just the panel or the entire TV.

Last year, I faced some issues with panel of my less than 2 months old 51E550 TV. I was trying to convince them to replace the TV as I was suspecting that I might have got a defective set. However, they kept on saying that it's not in their policy to replace the TV. They just replace the faulty component if it's available. They replace the TV only when the component is not available. They tried replacing the TV panel three times. However, each replaced panel had many non working pixels. I lost more than a month in the process. They agreed to replace the TV when I spoke to someone from their main customer care office a couple times and told him that they had already tried many times to find the working panel for me and I could not keep on waiting indefinitely.

I should mention that Samsung customer care persons are very professional. Be assured that your TV problem will be fixed to your satisfaction.

It's been 14 months since I got my PS51E550, and it seems to have developed some vertical lines on the screen. The TV has been working off surge protectors, stabilizer et al.

On checking with the Samsung technician he says I have to replace my panel! 25k! I'm colossally pissed off!

Wouldn't suggest anyone to buy this model. My Panny 42" works perfectly fine after 4 years. Man, I wish I didn't go the Samsung way.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back