Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

Great! Congratulations! 51E550 is a very good choice. It offers good PQ, big screen at a reasonable price. Real VFM product. I'm sure you'll enjoy experience with your new TV.

BTW, any update on BD player confirmation?

My TV arrived today and installed with bluray player. Bluray movies are out of stock - will be delivered in 3-4 days. Manufacturing date of my TV is Oct-2012.

Played Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D 1080p through USB port... awesome experience...

Played Alan Wake in 3D ---- absolute delight, slight strain possibly due to low FPS...

Played LOTR:1 1080p version - 2D->3D conversion -- nice subtle 3D effect - did not watch enough to notice any strain...

Bluray player model is Samsung BD-E5500/XL

I was told by the retailer that I can use my iPad for data input with the TV after installing an app. Can somebody please confirm which app is that?

This TV buying is some seriously confusing stuff. Have been reading through the forums for a few days now and still I reach a conclusion.

The PS51E550 looks like a good bet but you guys are talking about loads of reflection and IR and stuff.

Anyone from Chennai here who can guide me as to which place has a good price for this TV?

Would be really greatful if someone jumps in and helps a n00b :eek:hyeah:

Peace
Manoaj

Samsung is just playing safe. The TV does not require 15A. It can safely work with 5A. With a load factor of 0.6667, the 5A plug is sufficient for 766W TV (230V x 5A x 0.6667).

Just to clarify on this point. There was no free 15A socket at my place so the engineer used the same 5A cable that was being used for my 32'' LCD TV. He said you can continue using old cable.

Anyone trying to purchase this in Bangalore. i and my friend are planning to purchase one each here. anyone else would wish to join in would be great. we are open on the models depending on which one we would get a better price on. it would be great if more can join so we can negotiate a good deal.
hi,

I'm also IN for Samsung PS51E550 or Panasonic 50ST50 group deal buy in bangalore.

This TV buying is some seriously confusing stuff. Have been reading through the forums for a few days now and still I reach a conclusion.

The PS51E550 looks like a good bet but you guys are talking about loads of reflection and IR and stuff.

Anyone from Chennai here who can guide me as to which place has a good price for this TV?

Peace
Manoaj

Please check at Samsung Plaza [TTK Road] or ezone in Alwarpet for price.

hi, I'm also IN for Samsung PS51E550 or Panasonic 50ST50 group deal buy in bangalore.

I picked up the Samsung from Coolwell Electrix on MG Road. Its right at the MG Road St. Marks Road intersection. I suggest you try them. They are also big time dealers for Panasonic.

Peace
Manoaj

After using the TV for few days, I have come to the conclusion that reflections are a huge issue with this TV. It has to be dark to be able to fully enjoy this TV. Even if there is no source of light in front of the TV, you would still see the walls and doors (in reflection) if there is any light in the room. This problem occurs mainly for movies and games where there would be some kind of dark scenes. Should not be a problem while watching sports or TV serials.

While watching TV, I keep one light on - at the far end of the room (not in front of the TV). While gaming or movies, I keep light to a minimal by making do with light coming from adjoining rooms.

Tried 3D (Transformers: Dark of the Moon, The Amazing Spiderman - SBS file), it was too tiring for me within 5 minutes. Initially, I was playing it from PC in MPC with HDMI source named as "PC" when I experienced a lot of strain. Changed the source name to "---", and Digital and MPEG Noise filter set to HIGH, there was considerable improvement. I guess there will still be strain in high movement scenes but not much otherwise.

Let me know if there is any specific setting that I can keep while playing 3D movies from PC. I had experienced eye strain even while playing through USB drive on TV. Just to point out, I never experience any strain while watching movies in 3D at cinemas - so my eyes can handle 3D with right settings.

One more point, 2D-->3D feature is awesome, saw one episode of Supernatural in 3D, it seems like it was shot in 3D. I keep depth between 1-3, any higher gives a strain. 3D perspective is strictly kept at 0. Wonder why so much money was spent on Titanic 3D, Samsung could have done it easily with similar effectiveness. LOTR (FHD print) also looks nice with similar 3D settings.

Does this TV support remote viewing (dual view) on iPad. There is such a feature on the app but don't know how to activate it. For those who don't know, as per this feature, TV will broadcast the source over connected Wifi connection and one can see the content in the app on iPad.

Hoping my eyes would get familiarized with 3D on this TV soon. Somebody please do answer my queries.

After using the TV for few days, I have come to the conclusion that reflections are a huge issue with this TV. It has to be dark to be able to fully enjoy this TV. Even if there is no source of light in front of the TV, you would still see the walls and doors (in reflection) if there is any light in the room. This problem occurs mainly for movies and games where there would be some kind of dark scenes. Should not be a problem while watching sports or TV serials.

Ohh :sad: Reflection is a huge issue for me too. Anyone else experiencing the same traits. I thought couple of lights in the room should not hinder viewing. I saw both the E550 and E490 at Samsung showroom and you just cannot watch the screen because of the reflections :sad:

Ohh :sad: Reflection is a huge issue for me too. Anyone else experiencing the same traits. I thought couple of lights in the room should not hinder viewing. I saw both the E550 and E490 at Samsung showroom and you just cannot watch the screen because of the reflections :sad:
The plasma panel has a glass top that causes reflections. The high-end TVs such as ST50 have anti-glare screen that reduces reflections to some extent. But super-smooth polished glass cannot avoid reflections - period. I also cannot watch my TV in full light - I have to manage that.

The plasma panel brightness itself is also another issue. LED TVs such as Sony HX850 and HX925/950 are adorned by gorilla glass and also have strong reflections. But the LED light is so bright that it can obliterate the hints of reflections. But when watching movies and the dark/black scenes within, the reflections can be noticeable but not as much as plasma.

I have some images to illustrate - these are taken without tripod, etc. and hence are shaky/burred; but the reflection issue is well illustrated, nevertheless ...

p/s. All pictures were taken around 10:30 AM on Sunday, 20-Jan-2013.

Illustration 1:
The first image shows switched off TV in the room that is well lit - windows are open, curtains open, room light switched on. Reflections can be seen from the tubelight on opposite wall:

100_1151_zpsdac97ebc.jpg

Illustration 2:
This picture shows the TV switched ON. Nothing has changed from above with respect to ambient lighting:

100_1152_zps4a9be9b5.jpg

Illustration 3:
In this picture, the room tubelight has been switched off but the windows/curtains are still open:

100_1154_zpse31e55fd.jpg

Illustration 4:
In this final picture, the room is quite dark with room lights off, curtains drawn closed, and only my bedside reading lamp working:

100_1155_zpsf967f2c5.jpg

Already a plasma does not have a backlight(I mean floodlight!!:lol:). Above that there is an anti reflective screen which makes the picture darker.
No wonder people are steering away from plasmas!:mad:

Anyone facing ghosting issues with SBS 3D files? I'm suddenly facing huge issues while playing through PC. Don't understand what setting has changed. Changing 3D perspective is not helping.

Another issue that I face is connecting to PC through HDMI. If I name the connection as "PC", there is a lot of blur which disappears if I name it as "Game".

Please confirm if someone is facing such issues that I had faced (certain issues in my previous post as well). Thanks.

Thanks much for the pics kix :).

I like the plasma a lot because of its original colours so ill have to setup the room properly.. Bring on the mood lighting :eek:hyeah:

The plasma panel has a glass top that causes reflections. The high-end TVs such as ST50 have anti-glare screen that reduces reflections to some extent. But super-smooth polished glass cannot avoid reflections - period. I also cannot watch my TV in full light - I have to manage that.

The plasma panel brightness itself is also another issue. LED TVs such as Sony HX850 and HX925/950 are adorned by gorilla glass and also have strong reflections. But the LED light is so bright that it can obliterate the hints of reflections. But when watching movies and the dark/black scenes within, the reflections can be noticeable but not as much as plasma.

I have some images to illustrate - these are taken without tripod, etc. and hence are shaky/burred; but the reflection issue is well illustrated, nevertheless ...

p/s. All pictures were taken around 10:30 AM on Sunday, 20-Jan-2013.

I wanted to wait for few months for the 2013 models and replace my 7 years old CRT. My CRT is less patient and started giving some serious trouble for the couple of days. I finally put an end to all the research on what to buy, walked into the Samsung brand shop across my house. I was really tempted to go for the 64E8000 at one stage, but finally dropped it and ordered 51E550 as my family are used for 29" CRT and are feeling that it is too big for our 10-11" room.

The TV and Bluray player are delivered in a few hours. The TV shows used hours as zero. Set up the network and reduced the contrast. I have a few queries.

- I was trying to setup my Nexus7 as the remote to the TV. I downloaded the smart tv remote app. It finds the TV but when I try to connect, the TV immediately disconnects. I tried to find the option to enable wireless remote control in the TV menu, but couldn't locate any. Any body has any clues in this regard? - Update: I tried again, and it is working. Not sure what was the issue earlier.

- I downloaded a few 3D side-by-side mkv files to an USB drive. I tried to connect the drive to TV and blu ray and play those files. The display is coming 2D side-by-side and not as 3D. Do I need to mux them before playing? - Update: Found the side-by-side 3D option after a little search.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Anyone facing ghosting issues with SBS 3D files? I'm suddenly facing huge issues while playing through PC. Don't understand what setting has changed. Changing 3D perspective is not helping.

Another issue that I face is connecting to PC through HDMI. If I name the connection as "PC", there is a lot of blur which disappears if I name it as "Game".

Please confirm if someone is facing such issues that I had faced (certain issues in my previous post as well). Thanks.

Ghosting and eye strain issue resolved by using Tridef 3D Media Player for running SBS files - much easier on the eyes. The software even does 2D-3D very well with lesser strain than that experienced on using TV's inbuilt converter.

Certain PC games are a delight in 3D.

I think content from PC will be all about correct drivers and software.

I received Megamind 3D and Tron 3D as free BDs. Experienced ghosting in Megamind - changing 3D perspective to remove this helps but in a strange way. At any one setting, only one half of the screen gets corrected, so if it corrects left half, right half starts ghosting and vice versa.

Booked Videocon D2H online for more HD channels - was tired of waiting for Tatasky to add more channels, not to mention Tatasky's high cost. Tatasky HD box can now rest in peace.

Last edited:
What is the firmware version of your set? Mine is on 1014.

Does this TV support recording through USB?

BTW I crossed 250 hours, have jacked up the contrast and other settings :)

Reducing sharpness to 0 makes PQ so much better, no more jagged edges. However, still not happy with my new VideoconD2H HD connection, HD channels on Tatasky HD were much sharper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
i just got a logitech k400 keybaord for this tv, cost me about 2k, but its a beauty for using the web browser. beats typing using the remote. even has a touchpad next to the keybord. anyone looking for the skype camera should check out ebay i think i saw it there

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back